Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some discussion on this was burried in this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=566995

I have the 7/29 showing on StarzHD on my DVR and I'm nearly positive it's in HD. It looks like it's pretty good HD at that. It was full screen 16x9. I don't know if it was OAR or not.

One person in the other thread said it was a bad upconvert and another said that the guide listed it as an upconvert.

I've seen upconverts and I don't see how this could have been. If it was upconverted, it was a phenomenal upconvert.

Anyone else taken a look at this?

Is there any way for me to tell definitely by what I have on my DVR?

If anyone else can check, the next airings are 8/11 11:30am ET and 8/12 7:35am ET on StarzHD.
http://www.starz.com/appmanager/seg/...ction=SCHEDULE

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor
Some discussion on this was burried in this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=566995

I have the 7/29 showing on StarzHD on my DVR and I'm nearly positive it's in HD. It looks like it's pretty good HD at that. It was full screen 16x9. I don't know if it was OAR or not.
Don't have Starz, so not sure about if it's HD, but OAR is 1.85:1, so it's OAR.

·
Premium Member
12,087 Posts
What is it with StarzHD anyways?? Almost every one of their big attractions listed are upconverts and not true HD. What is the point of even having an HD channel then? There have been a ton of great movies on this station that I would have gladly subscribed for but they all end up being upconverts. This month Hellboy and LOTR's are good, but that isn't enough for me (especially since I already have ROTK).

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora
7/24 was a definite upconvert. Archived and checked.
Very good upconvert in your opinion?

I looked at my 7/29 archive last night and it was definitely near HD. Perhaps details were a bit lacking, but the video was crisp (no grain at all) and the colors were vibrant. Still, I've seen HD that was way worse than this, so I don't know, sure looked like this was HD to me.

Can some of you take a look at this tomorrow? I'll record it again tomorrow and make sure it's the same as the version I already have.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Quote:
It was OK...I have seen better (Finding Nemo comes to mind as being excellent).

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
This piece of garbage movie doesn't even deserve an upconvert. It was obvious to me that it wasn't HD when I checked it out.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k
This piece of garbage movie doesn't even deserve an upconvert. It was obvious to me that it wasn't HD when I checked it out.
I'm no expert (obviously), but no way to my eyes that this obviously isn't HD. I'll look a little closer tonight. Sounds like the evidence is sure against what my eyes are seeing though.

Any suggestions on what exactly to look for to let me eyes confirm it's an upconvert?

I have seen a lot of HD. I'm not one of those people who watches Fox Baseball and thinks it's HD. I can clearly tell that's an upconvert.

BTW, I actually liked the movie.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering
What is it with StarzHD anyways?? Almost every one of their big attractions listed are upconverts and not true HD. What is the point of even having an HD channel then? There have been a ton of great movies on this station that I would have gladly subscribed for but they all end up being upconverts. This month Hellboy and LOTR's are good, but that isn't enough for me (especially since I already have ROTK).
Again, all 'new' Disney and Universal movies on Starz-HD are up-converts, do not know why, but they are.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:

I looked at my 7/29 archive last night and it was definitely near HD. Perhaps details were a bit lacking, but the video was crisp (no grain at all) and the colors were vibrant. Still, I've seen HD that was way worse than this, so I don't know, sure looked like this was HD to me.
Keep in mind that these discussions and this kind of conclusion makes the hearts of the HD/widescreen providers sing. They know that they can use widescreen upconverts and downrezed HD and that many people (if not the majority) will still like what they see and they will continue to give us more of this and less and less of high quality HD transfers.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k
Bingo. I rented this for 99 cents and I felt cheated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.