Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Now that I have my audio set up complete, I want to upgrade from a televison to a projector. Luckily I have the space for a CRT projector, and as I think that it will give the best picture (for sensible money) I am looking for a CRT projector.

There is one problem though,

I can afford a pioneer 737 with a psm-1 upgrade and a barco 801,

OR just a barco 808 (thus no NEW dvdplayer, I use a Toshiba sd-210e now)

Now is my question what would be a wise thing to do; go for the 801 with new dvd player or just the 808?

In the future, if I choose the 808, there will of course come a new dvd player with psm, but that should take about 1.5 years after the buy of the 808...

So is the 808 vs the 801 worth the extra trouble of having to watch on my pathetic dvdplayer without scaling and progressive scan for at least 1.5 years, or is the difference not really that big?

Some info that might help:

I will mostly play regio 1 dvd`s

I will always de-luminate my room, so that no light is visable.

I will project at a maximum of 2.2 meter (86").

I always watch in 16;9 format, never in 4:3.

It is not necessary to have a really quite projector.

I am kinda handy, so i don't mind the trouble of adjusting every now and then, although not every time i wanna watch.

I will be using (in the end at least) a psm-1 in a pioneer 737

I did not really see a huge difference between a barco cine 9 (with a "the rock" processor) and a super new, 12 $ dlp projector. (i saw them in the same place, and the difference was not shocking, more like : "mmm the barco looks better")

I hope u can all help me a bit, as i really cannot judge this dilemma objective.

grtz Rikkert

·
Registered
380 Posts
Don't know very much of the 808. It is newer than the 801. So if I had the money I would have taken the 808 it has sharper focus thus more future proof, if something high def comes.

You will also be more than happy with 801, my BD801s looks better than any DLP I have seen. For DVD viewing I would think scaling is actually more important than, if it is a 808 or 801.

The only one 808 I have seen was at the Volvo factory in Goteborg in Sweden. It was super sharp, but was feeded by an S-VHS player running on the internal doubler. It did not look good. Visible scanlines all over. But feeded by an HTPC or good processor I am sure you have a very good projector.

One other thing the 808 has not color filtering the 801 has.

So a budget solution would be 801 and a HTPC for DVD viewing. You will still be stunned by the quality. It is still my reference.

Do you have the money I would have taken an 808 and use a HTPC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tnx for replying Andre.

Is there also a difference between the Data and the Graphics, besides the inputs? I don`t know what I should look 4 in inputs... rgb is the best? If it somewhat works like dvd, eg rgb s-video and all, then i understand, or r there other imputs wich r important on a crt?

Btw, do u have (know) a homepage with images projected by a barco 801?

Grtz Rikkert

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a Barco BD801 with low hours on it that I am really happy with. I have a page with some screenshots taken with an Olympus C3030 right off the screen. In these pics I am only using a DVDO line doubler. The Screen is a Dalite Matte B 96X72 inch 120 inch diag screen. I now use a MyHD card that I use to scale to 720P or 1080I and it looks even better now but I haven't taken any new pics yet (but hope to soon)

Here are a few pics using the DVDO:
http://www.braveknight.com/dave/Screenshots.html

The actual picture is better then in these shots and the projector is now set up better than in these pics...

Dave

·
Registered
380 Posts
No differences in inputs which you should care of. RGB is all you need for HTPC anyway. S-video is good to have, if you plan to use a DVDo or progressive dvd player. All the projectors mentioned have these two inputs.

Differences between the Data and Graphics is mostly the higher hor. scan frequency. The 800 data scans to 58 khz the 801s to 64khz and graphics 800 to 90 khz. Do not have the data for the 808 here, but it should be more than enough.

You would be more than happy with old the 800 series too, it is still high end video. Don't be fooled by the low price for a good condition machine.

Yes the 808 is better, if you can afford it.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkert
So is the 808 vs the 801 worth the extra trouble of having to watch on my pathetic dvdplayer without scaling and progressive scan for at least 1.5 years, or is the difference not really that big?
You REALLY REALLY need to have something better then 480i fed to either projector, otherwise you're going to see huge big black scanlines which will make the picture generally look horrible no matter HOW good the projector is.

Having a source that can output at least progressive (480p) if not higher is much more important then getting a 808 over an 801. Getting higher then 480i should be your primary objective here. It'll make more difference then going from a 801 to an 808.

FYI - 720p is a good resolution to try on the 801, 960p is good place to start with an 808.

Kal

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The biggest difference between the 801 and 808 besides using different CRT's is the ability to use EM focus to adjust the focus at different areas of the screen. This is a hugh plus when it comes to setting up CRT's. You will get a sharper picture.

That's not to say that the 801 doesn't produce a sharp picture, cause it does. The 801 is realy a very nice CRT. But you have more compromises on the ability to focus.

Terry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tnx for replying all, I think I know what to do... -the 801 and a pioneer 737+ psm-1 upgrade-

I First need to see the combo in action ofcourse :rolleyes: but it sounds like a smart way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.