AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you married? Does your wife give you heartburn about your need to game on your PS3? Do you sometimes feel like you're the only guy out there that isn't allowed to game as much as he wants?

Have you tried to rationalize with your wife about your gaming? Argue that you could be at a bar getting drunk or out with your buds at a titty bar but instead you game? How far did that argument get you?

Do you sneak in a game here and there when your wife is not home or when she jumps in the bathtub to soak for a while? How about when she falls asleep, do you sneak downstairs just to see which of your friends are online and then end up playing for a couple hours, only to have your wife come downstairs for a glass of water and find you there, in your underwear, holding your PS3 controller in your hand and your headset on your head, staring at her with a stupid "Uh, I wasn't gaming" look on your face?

Well my brother, you are not alone. What you may not know is that there is a secret society out there called WAF, Wives Against Fun, and many of us have fallen victim of the WAF agenda. If you are a victim of WAF, post your stories here.

·
Registered
79 Posts
LOL we have an agreement. She gets to watch some of her crappy shows like Dancing with the Stars, Bachelor etc. The rest of the night belong to me and the PS3

·
Registered
875 Posts
this is pretty creepy

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
What a coincidence, mine just remarked to me last night "you're playing games again?" To which I said "What else would you like me to do? Watch American Idol with you or one of the other reality shows that you watch? It's not like there's a whole lot for me to do when I get home. I work from 7:00-5:00 and then go to the gym from 5:30 - 7:00. I think playing a game for an hour or two isn't such a big deal."

She said "never mind" then went upstairs to watch a reality show.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow /forum/post/18286292

this is pretty creepy

After re-reading the first post; I agree. This sounds kind of weird. I would hope that I would never have to do anything like that in my own house.

·
Registered
229 Posts
No heartburn here. We have an understanding. She can watch all the crap TV she wants in a different room, and I get to game in the man-cave. My only issue is having to wait until the kids are bathed and put to bed. All-in-all it's a pretty sweet arrangement.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have specific days that are agreed upon game nights. I get 3/7 of the week to game. My wife is very supportive of my gaming and most of the time relishes the alone time to watch/do whatever she wants.

Sometimes I get some extra time if she's busy with something.

I've got a good woman who lets me geek out. She's also something of a chef in the kitchen.

Good times.

·
Registered
806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/18286451

I have specific days that are agreed upon game nights. I get 3/7 of the week to game. My wife is very supportive of my gaming and most of the time relishes the alone time to watch/do whatever she wants.

Sometimes I get some extra time if she's busy with something.

I've got a good woman who lets me geek out. She's also something of a chef in the kitchen.

Good times.

Wow
this is freaky! I would've posted the same thing, even the kitchen chef part. Only difference is I get 2 nights a week but it's all good since both of us like mostly the same shows/movies so we watch them together.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
My wife wants to know if it's a game that we can play together.

Otherwise, I pretty do my gaming after she and our son goes to bed.

Sometimes, when I have feeding duties, I can play while the son is sleeping in my arms (or even while I'm feeding him, if the game can be played with one hand...like White Knight Chronicles).

Hell, when she was on maternity leave, she got to play Critter Crunch and LEGO Rock Band for hours in between feeding/attending our child.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/18286750

My wife wants to know if it's a game that we can play together.

This works well. We played LBP til we got bored of it. Currently it's Bomberman Ultra and she's pretty good at it too

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
My wife will sit and watch me play Mass Effect or Uncharted for multiple hours because they are like movies. She hates all FPS because they are noisy. The only one I got her interested in was Counter Strike because I would let her hit the fire button and tell people they sucked on the microphone. She occasionally wants to talk trash in COD; I mute everyone so that we don't hear what they say back to us

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
When I had the Wii she would play Mario Kart and Wii Fit. She doesn't really like these "new" games they're to confusing for her. She really doesn't give me too much grief about playing though because we "try" (I say "try" because it's always a work in progress) not to control one another. She may not like it but she knows it's not right for her to tell me what to do. Same rules apply for me (I hate reality TV but..she loves it)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I swear that my wife can sense when I'm having fun. I'll be driving along on a sunny afternoon, rocking out to a particularly awesome John Bonham drum solo and she'll call out of the blue "just to see what I'm doing." Actually, my wife's pretty cool with my gaming. She doesn't want me spending every free second on the PS3, but she's fine with a couple hours here and there. She gripes a little, but mostly because I monopolize the TV in the living room.

She is a very casual gamer, but she plays from time to time. We used to play SSX: Tricky together back in the day and had some pretty heated competitions to see who could score the most points on each track. She pretty much kicks my butt on Mario Kart Wii, and she uses the freakin' Wii Wheel.

So I don't think I need a W.A.F support group per se, but I'd sure like a new 50" (or larger) plasma for a new gaming rig the den. Less griping and more gaming=win!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well lets see...I don't really have a set time or schedule for gaming and to be honest my wife doesn't care that much when I play, mostly because it's generally after shes gone to bed or when she's busy or away from home, 80% of the time anyway.

I've found that my gaming schedule is impacted more by the kids (we just had our third son back in January) than the wife - the three of them require A LOT of attention, thus making my free time very limited.

I will say that one of the best investments (at least in terms of my entertainment) I ever made was upgrading my bedroom display to a 40" and getting another PS3 for that room too - I can't tell you how many times my sons and I have been playing games upstairs well mom is downstairs wasting time watching that crap that the Bravo channel airs...man I hate Bravo!!

Plus, the wife knows that gaming is a stress re-leaving outlet....and it's best to let me have that time!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm with you OP.

I try to sneak in a game here and there, but always get caught. She's normally cool with it after kids are in bed, but the problem is usually I'm so exhausted I can't keep my eyes open.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just tell mine to leave me alone because I never bother her when she is watching all of her crap. Real housewives(all of them), american idol, dancing with the lames, every wedding and reality show that comes on tv, I don't say a word. We don't have children. I just make sure we have date nights and a lot of quality time together, but she is not getting in the way of my gaming time. I will not allow her to take my soul.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is a funny thread!!!! LOL

I use to be pretty good at not playing....all the time.....however, since CODMW2 I can't get away from it after work and weekends. It's like FPS crack to me....and now I have coworkers and buddies online. We're all married and swearing up a storm.

So,yes, my wife is starting to get irritated. I've been getting the "stand in front of the flat panel" treatment lately.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
With a great wife at home and 3 kids who are active in EVERY friggin thing they can be at school, I find that the only game time I have is after they go to bed at 10:00 and then I game until I fall asleep around 11:00 or 11:30.

I dont even try to play games unless they are in bed because its constant interuptions and no fun for me....so why try...

My wife even bought me a new Harley last year for my 40th B-day. While my wife is a good one, if I came home from work and kicked the ps3 on while she was trying to deal with 3 kids, homework and supper...there would be problems

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche 911 /forum/post/18287350

So,yes, my wife is starting to get irritated. I've been getting the "stand in front of the flat panel" treatment lately.

Man, that is not cool at all!

You do realize the obligatory "stand-in-front" is the universal warning sign - she's preparing for action, which is a controller or shoe or some other solid object hurled into the screen. Generally the object is also something of yours that she has equal disdain for.

Tread easy my friend, tread easy....you might want to consider a peace offering.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL... I dig the "this is creepy" comments. I was sort of being facetious with my original post. However, there is some truth to it.

I've been married for 18 years. My wife and I have a great relationship; we are truly best friends. We tend to do pretty much everything together. She doesn't mind gaming, but her choice of gaming is Wii type games, bubble blaster, and pretty much any classic video arcade game. What she does not get are FPS games. She thinks they are "stupid and pointless". She also thinks it is really odd that grown men will spend hours at a time, playing this type of video game and talking trash on a mic with "total strangers".

I kind of get her point. I also understand her distastes for them and it is my own fault. Several years back when I had my PS2, I would spend hours playing SOCOM. It got to the point that I would avoid stuff I had to do around the house in order to play. As you learn after years of marriage, it's typically easier to "listen" rather than argue. And as usual, she tends to be correct; I was spending way too much time playing video games.

Since that time, we have made the compromise that I would get Wednesdays to play video games all night. It's my night to game... no other expectations. She watches her shows and I game. It works. Occassionally, I will sneak in some gaming here and there but I try not too. But when a new game like BF comes out, I sometimes can't help myself. It's like heroin. She catches me every now and them and will make a comment like "So what are we doing Wednesday night?" That usually gets me to turn the PS3 off real quick. I try to keep my end of the bargains since also get to hang with the guys on the occassional poker night and when I play baseball so it's not like she's not allowing me my own time. It's just funny sometimes the lengths I go to to keep my wife happy and still feel like I am getting one over.

BTW, I have buddies whose wives have either thrown the PS away, broken their discs, hidden controllers, etc. to keep them from playing. That is one thing my wife would never do. She won't hesitate to let me know she's not happy with my gaming, but we won't "F" with my gear.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts