AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outside walls 1&2 are sheetrock & brick. Inside wall #1 will be sheetrock insulation and sheetrock opening into a theater snack room whose wall (opposite side from theater side wall) will be sheetrock, insulation, sheetrock and the main house. Wall 4 will be sheetrock, insulation, sheetrock and the main house. Why do I need more insulation soundproofing than this? Will another sheet of sheetrock help (current is 1/2 inch)? on the inside walls? Is there something better? Thanks for the guidance.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Search on resilient channels and sound proofing. Also staggered walls. There is a lot on this subject. It depends on how far you want to take it and how soundproof you want to get. There are also materials like lead sheating you can put under the sheetrock. Besides insulation, phisicaly seperating the two wall surfaces with staggering or channels will do a lot to prevent sound transmission. Your outside walls may not be a problem with the brick. I didn't do all that much soundproofing and my daughter asks me to turn it down whenever she does homework. Its great that she finaly is doing her homework but a bummer that I have to turn it down. My outside neighbors don't complain however. We've got old plaster walls and stucko and that seems to do well enough. The wall to my recording / editing control room (behind the theater) I did soundproof with channels and lead.

-Noam

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.