AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Terry Pratchett’s ‘Discworld’ Adaptation ‘The Watch’ Lands At BBC America

The Watch, based on Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novels, has landed a series order at BBC America. The Killing Eve broadcaster has greenlit an eight-part series from BBC Studios, after Deadline revealed the project was in development in March.
The U.S. cable network describes the show as a “punk rock thriller” inspired by the City Watch subset of Discworld novels. The character-driven series centers on Terry Pratchett’s misfit cops as they fight to save a ramshackle city of normalized wrongness, from both the past and future in a perilous quest.

The Watch features many Discworld creations including City Watch Captain Sam Vimes, the last scion of nobility Lady Sybil Ramkin, the naïve but heroic Carrot Ironfoundersson, the mysterious Angua and the ingenious forensics expert Cheri together with Terry Pratchett’s iconic characterization of Death.

Written by The Musketeers and Das Boot writer Simon Allen, BBC Studios is co-producing the series with Narrativia, the production company founded by Pratchett in 2012 and now run with Pratchett’s daughter Rhianna and his former business manager Rob Wilkins.

The series is being exec produced by BBC Studios’ Head of Drama London Hilary Salmon, who has worked on series such as Luther and Silent Witness, Ben Donald and Wilkins as well as Doctor Who’s Phil Collinson. It was commissioned by BBC America’s President and GM Sarah Barnett and Nena Rodrigue, EVP of Original Programming, Acquisitions and Production.
The Watch has been startlingly reimagined for television by writer Simon Allen, while still cleaving to the humor, heart and ingenuity of Terry Pratchett’s incomparably original work,” said Barnett. “BBC America embraces what’s fresh and exhilarating in TV; we believe The Watch will astonish audiences.”

Allen said, “With events in our own world making the insanity of Discworld seem outrageously familiar, there couldn’t be a better time to bring Terry’s fun, fire and fury back to the small screen or a better place than BBC America. I’m grateful to them, BBC Studios and especially Rob Wilkins at Narrativia who has been a constant source of inspiration on this epic and emotional journey.”
Hilary Salmon said, “The Watch is a distinctly British but defiantly global exhilarating thriller that is disruptive in its approach to the fantasy genre and also big on the themes of mortality, inclusion, alternative facts and justice. It’s a dizzying riot of hope, joy, suspense and audaciously dark humor. We can’t wait to work with BBC America to bring it all to life for existing fans and brand new audiences.”

Rob Wilkins added, “Many years ago Terry made the brave decision to allow brand new Watch stories to be told with his existing characters. It’s taken a long time for anything to happen because we guard these characters with our very lives. So many of Terry’s biggest ideas seem more vital and urgent now than ever before and I am thrilled to be working with Simon and such a talented team, who understand the unique genius of their creator. They have really keyed into the subversive qualities of Terry’s voice and they clearly adore Discworld as much as I and millions of fans around the world do.”

https://deadline.com/2018/10/terry-pratchett-the-watch-bbc-america-1202492604/

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
If this anywhere as good as Good Omens was then they'll have a hit on their hands!

Seggers

Reactions: John dhein

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
PTF so I can remember to record it when it starts. You guys won't let me down, will ya? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I can't wait for this, only a couple more days! Sure - may be in for a disappointment, but I will definitely give it a go.

@Nayan - don't forget :)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I can't wait for this, only a couple more days! Sure - may be in for a disappointment, but I will definitely give it a go.

@Nayan - don't forget :)
Episode 1 available via early access on AMC+ streaming.

Reactions: xnappo

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I liked it a lot. But the angst against this show is more than Star Wars + GoT combined and is going to make it hard to enjoy :( (for the record I thought GoT and SW 7-9 were good)

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fantastical rise of The Watch star Marama Corlett

Maltese actress plays a cop who's also a werewolf in the new BBC America show.

It is fair to say that Marama Corlett's police officer Corporal Angua in the new BBC America show The Watch is very much not your average cop.

"I play a member of The Watch, who are a bunch of misfit cops sitting in a city where crime has been legalized," says the actress. "Because of this, her purpose has been taken away, really. We’re introduced to Angua in episode 1, and she’s bored and staying out of trouble in a city that's dead at heart." Anything else we should know about her character? "She is a werewolf," says Corlett.

The Watch is inspired by the Discworld comedy-fantasy novels written by the late Terry Pratchett with Corlett's werewolf-cop just one of the many colorful characters viewers will encounter when the show premieres Jan. 3. Richard Dormer plays the Watch's booze-drenched commander Sam Vines while Angua's other colleagues include a massive rock-monster named Detritus.

"He’s Sergeant Detritus," says Corlett. "He's a stone troll, and he's seven-and-a-half feet tall. He's voiced by Ralph Ineson and he’s played by this extraordinary physical actor called Craig MacRae. Craig spent around five hours in the make-up chair for prosthetics and costume and he would stand on stilts the entire day. We didn’t have to imagine this guy. He was there!"

Corlett was raised in Malta which has hosted a slew of movie productions — including Cutthroat Island, Gladiator, and Captain Phillips — attracted by the large water tanks situated on the island.

"There was always stuff shooting out there when I was growing up," she says. "I think my mum did some supporting role on Gladiator. I desperately wanted to be an extra or a supporting artist in anything, but they would never pick me. I guess I was too tiny and scrawny."

Corlett studied ballet, first in Malta and then London.

"I remember dropping my cousin off at ballet school — she lived next door — and I watched the classes and it was doing something to me, I felt happy watching it," says the actress. "The teacher saw me there a few times and she said, 'Oh, would you like to give it a go?' I said, 'My parents can’t afford it,' or something. She said, 'If you train hard enough and you do well then you’d get a scholarship.' I set my mind that I had to get the highest marks in class for every exam and I was on a scholarship for a very long time. Later on, I managed to get another scholarship out in London to study fell in love with it. I think ballet was a therapy for me, at the time I just didn’t know it. It just helped my growing pains."

Corlett's first film appearance was in 2011's Dominic Cooper-starring drama-thriller The Devil's Double. A couple of years later, director James Gunn gave her a supporting role in the first Guardians of the Galaxy, but her part was mostly cut from the finished film.

"Oh my gosh, that the first time I was on such a huge set, and saw what it’s like to have this incredible team involved on such a huge budget, and the craftsmanship that goes into making a movie that way," she says. "Yeah, of course, it was sad to be cut from the film, but I still got to work with Dave Bautista and most of the guys on that show, which was overwhelming really."

Corlett recovered from that disappointment, scoring roles in the TV shows Blood Drive, Sick Note, and, recently, HBO's Ruth Wilson-starring fantasy series His Dark Materials on which she played a witch.

"Ruth is an incredible actress," she says. "She’s very intense, on set, in character, which really really helped to bring it to life."

As for the future, Corlett is hoping she will continue to wolf-out on a second season of The Watch.

"Going back to South Africa would be a dream," she says. "We had such an incredible time shooting out there with this huge international team of artisans. They created this incredible playground that we played in for around seven months. Huge detailed sets. We didn’t have to fill in any gaps with our imagination, it was all there. It would be so sad for all this creation to disappear. I’d love to go back to the world."

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I watched and liked it. Characters are interesting and there weren’t any yell at your tv because they did something totally stupid moments, I did not read the books so all of this is new to me. My wife loves Terry Pratchett and wasn’t blown away by it or the creators’ spin on things, but she didn’t hate it. It won’t be on her Must-watch list. I imagine it’s like my opinion of the The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy movie. It was changed so much that it just didn’t have the Douglas Adams feel to it.

·
Registered
18,930 Posts
Watched the double episode. Had a Syfy-ish Vagrant Queen vibe to it. Not bad. Will keep watching.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I found the premiere interesting enough that I'll give it a few more episodes, but the Gilliam-esque tone of dirt and grime mixed with weird whimsy is very difficult to pull off and I don't think the show quite nails it yet.

The show also looks really cheap, despite the elaborate production design and preponderance of VFX.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Explore the city of Ankh-Morpork and meet the allies fighting to save it.

Find out how ‘The Watch’ creators and stars brought Terry Pratchett’s beloved creations from page to screen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts