AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Two weeks shy of his wedding, a socially awkward guy enters into a charade by hiring the owner of a company that provides best men for grooms in need.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2015
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Josh Gad, Kevin Hart, Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, Ken Howard, Mimi Rogers, Cloris Leachman, Olivia Thirlby
Directed by: Jeremy Garelick
Music by: Christopher Lennertz
Written by: Jeremy Garelick & Jay Lavender
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 28, 2015

"He’s the best man….money can buy"

My Take:

Doug Harris (Josh Gad) is a loveable but socially awkward groom-to-be with a problem: he has no best man. With less than two weeks to go until he marries the girl of his dreams (Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting), Doug is referred to Jimmy Callahan (Kevin Hart), owner and CEO of Best Man, Inc., a company that provides flattering best men for socially challenged guys in need. What ensues is a hilarious wedding charade as they try to pull off the big con, and an unexpected budding bromance between Doug and his fake best man Jimmy.

The wedding ringer features a surprisingly strong ensemble of actors and two bright comedic stars in Kevin Hart and Josh Gad. The problem is that the plot has been done many times before and to better effect. The loner nebbish seeks help from the sharp, fast talking salesman providing an unusual service that is sure to win him the prized affections of the knockout that he otherwise wouldn’t have a chance with. The twist here is slightly different but you can walk through the entire plot after the first ten minutes.

I like Kevin Hart and Josh Gad and thought their chemistry was quite good. The script has a few meaningful moments and occasional gags that work but those are negated by an overabundance of over the top antics, crass humor and silly interplay that is geared more toward forcing laughs than relying on the intelligence of the audience. I shook my head as I watched Ken Howard run off a series of head turning expletives, a mud laden football game where senior citizens/ex-pro football greats faced off against the groomsman, and the scenes containing the wonderful Cloris Leachman who really had no business accepting the role she was given.

The final scene is the ribbon that ties a bow around the whole affair. I wasn’t expecting a great film but hoped for better. In the end The wedding ringer is less than the total sum of its parts and borders on drivel that will leave genre fans disinterested.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for crude and sexual content, language throughout, some drug use and brief graphic nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Wedding Ringer comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

High definition detail is notable as images are firmly resolved, with defining sharpness and gratifying dimension. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation tonal warmth and vibrant textures. Fleshtones appear descriptive with discernible complexional variety that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with excellent dynamic range and discernible highlights. Contrast is well balanced which enriches both light and dark onscreen elements. I found this to be a pristine rendering that looked great on my big screen.

The lossless soundtrack doesn’t consistently utilize the entire surround platform however it has moments where it does and reproduces the source elements with aplomb. Dialogue has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is very good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. There are several sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound that is measurable. This comes in the form of low frequency effects, atmospheric ambience/directional sounds and musical enhancement. This soundtrack isn’t demonstration worthy but for a comedy it readily delivers a satisfying listening experience that didn’t leave me disappointed.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) * Exclusive 15 deleted scenes
  • (HD) * Exclusive 5 outtakes
  • (HD) * Exclusive Line-O-Rama
  • (HD) * Exclusive “Can you do this” music video by Aloe Blacc
  • (HD) Going to the chapel of love – 6 minute featurette
  • Select scene audio commentary with director Jeremy Garelick and Josh Gad
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Wedding Ringer is a formulaic, crass and predominantly unfunny film that fails to capitalize on the comedic charisma of stars Josh Gad and Kevin Hart. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound and a middling supplemental package that contains format exclusives. If you’re a diehard fan of either Hart, Gad or both The Wedding Ringer might be worth a rental, otherwise it’s a pass.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Awwww, man! You're killin' me here, Ralph...I was really looking forward to this one. The previews looked like this would be the perfect vehicle for K.Hart to do his thing. Really disappointed that it didn't deliver.

BTW, Ralph...I think you and Lee should film a video where you're interviewed as "the reviewers of AVS"...would be cool to get to know more about you guys, since so many of us read your excellent work! Just an idea :)

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awwww, man! You're killin' me here, Ralph...I was really looking forward to this one. The previews looked like this would be the perfect vehicle for K.Hart to do his thing. Really disappointed that it didn't deliver.

BTW, Ralph...I think you and Lee should film a video where you're interviewed as "the reviewers of AVS"...would be cool to get to know more about you guys, since so many of us read your excellent work! Just an idea :)
Greetings,

That would be nice indeed AJ. Back in December 2012 Scott Wilkinson had me on his Home Theater Geeks podcast. If you google it you can still see it. I agree though that it would great fun to have both Lee and I together in a discussion. :)

If there is enough interest maybe Scott will put something together.

Regards,

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
This movie is bad on so many levels. Totally agree with you on this on Ralph.

Reactions: Ralph Potts

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
I'm gonna watch it tonight and I'll come back with my thoughts. I find that most people tend to judge comedies too harshly. There are many comedies that get a 5.x rating on IMDB that I absolutely love, but then again I watch comedies the way I feel they were intended. Pour some drinks with your woman and have a good time with it. Don't over think or analyze a movie that was not written to change your life, but rather to make ya laugh. If it doesn't make ya laugh maybe you just don't get it.

With all that said maybe this movie will suck, but I think I'll enjoy the hell out of it.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
I must be the target audience for movies like this cause I lmao through the entire thing. I saw josh gad in a new orleans movie with carmen electra and I new he was about to become a big star. Kevin hart is great to, reminds me of chris tucker. But I really thought the dog stole the show lol. If u eanna laugh and dont take it to seriously watch this one, its funny!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts