AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has got to be the best concert DVD I have seen. The picture and sound quality are nothing short of spectacular. The picture is Widescreen anamorphic - 1.78:1. The DTS soundtrack is outstanding. (I have not listened to the Dolby 5.1 track yet). Viewing it through my Toshiba progressive scan DVD and Pioneer Hi Def monitor was almost better than being there in person.

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
Johnps, I have to agree. I picked this one up myself. Not only is the picture and sound great (I only have DD5.1), the actual camera work is fantastic. The camera men (or editer) knew where to be at the right time. This is the best concert video I've ever seen.

Cary

·
Registered
69 Posts
Amen! I saw the Who in Tampa during this tour (also saw Quad at MSG in 96) and this DVD was even better than the live show. But this disc is the first I've owned where the DTS track was not clearly superior to the DD track. Did anyone else find this to be the case? Both tracks sound great, and the DTS bass is somewhat smoother. But the DD bass has more punch, especially in the kick drum, and I thought the bass solo in 5:15 was more enjoyable in DD. On Gladiator, SPR, Susperia, and all my other DD/DTS discs I clearly prefer the DTS track. Maybe my sub (120w 10" KLH) or reciever (Denon 3802) isn't up to the task on this DTS track?

·
Registered
463 Posts
It's the renunion tour from a few years ago. I still love the sound and video of that disc!

FWIW for some reason I'm not all that impressed with the sound from The Who disc. I'll play with the settings to make sure, but I found the miking to be not all that point specific. The Eagles disc sounded way cleaner.

My system should not be the problem. I'm running a Sony TAE 9000ES preamp with bridged ATI1506 fronts/ATI1502 rear with Bohlender Graebener 520DX planar speakers. It's a very revealing system.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think these concert discs keep getting better and better. I love the who disc, certainly one of the best as a whole. I thought the drums should have been up a bit more in the mix though, Zak sure does a respectable job pounding the skins. Also for anyone interested my new favorite is ELO : Zoom tour live. Watched that for the second time last night and it is great. It's got 23 songs and is 16x9 anamorphic. Stellar!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I bought this disc today. Buzz is right on the money regarding the drums. Thin, weak, no punch. Decent drumming turned into background noise.

Whoever is responsible for that mix should be canned. Too bad, because it's a great DVD otherwise.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.