AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this title on BD I can confirm region free for those of you outside the USA. I would have to classify this release for fans only and here is why while "BaBa O'Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" from the last ever public performance by Keith Moon for a die hard fan such as myself is a joy in Hi-Def the rest of the disc is a mixed bag at best, the television footage gets no benefit from Hi-Def as you would expect parts of the documentary that where lifted from film exhibit film grain appropriate to the age of the source like Woodstock and Monterey the audio benefits from DTS-HD MA where the source

audio was recorded in multit-track (footage shot just for the film) now time to ***** No Extras!!! commentary track is hardly a extra in my book if you have the deluxe dvd as I do hang on to the bonus disc which has a multi-angle video of Baba O' Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again plus a isolated audio track of John Entwistle (the god of the electric bass) imho and many other people. So if your a die hard fan grab it but save your dvd bonus disc not a huge fan rent it.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Been waiting for reviews of this one, as I have the DVD (love it, btw!) and wondered if the sound bump is worth the double-dip. Thanks, dargo. I figured the old TV footage wouldn't be much to look at, but was hoping the concert footage of Baba O'Reilly and Won't Get Fooled Again (as well as the studio redo of Who Are You) sounded at least as good as the DVD.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B /forum/post/18278146

Been waiting for reviews of this one, as I have the DVD (love it, btw!) and wondered if the sound bump is worth the double-dip. Thanks, dargo. I figured the old TV footage wouldn't be much to look at, but was hoping the concert footage of Baba O'Reilly and Won't Get Fooled Again (as well as the studio redo of Who Are You) sounded at least as good as the DVD.

yes the footage shot for the film does get a major bump in DTS-HD MA

over the DVD DD 5.1 in a side note the BD has the same label as the dvd so the "bonus" dvd from the earlier release looks perfect in a 2 disc case with the NEW BD :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
As any fan would know "Won't Get Fooled Again" was shot twice with the director insisting on a third go around. This royally POd Pete and the boys and they ended up giving us THE definitive rock performance of all time IMHO.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo /forum/post/18278061

Just picked up this title on BD I can confirm region free for those of you outside the USA. I would have to classify this release for fans only and here is why while "BaBa O'Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" from the last ever public performance by Keith Moon for a die hard fan such as myself is a joy in Hi-Def the rest of the disc is a mixed bag at best, the television footage gets no benefit from Hi-Def as you would expect parts of the documentary that where lifted from film exhibit film grain appropriate to the age of the source like Woodstock and Monterey the audio benefits from DTS-HD MA where the source

audio was recorded in multit-track (footage shot just for the film) now time to ***** No Extras!!! commentary track is hardly a extra in my book if you have the deluxe dvd as I do hang on to the bonus disc which has a multi-angle video of Baba O' Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again plus a isolated audio track of John Entwistle (the god of the electric bass) imho and many other people. So if your a die hard fan grab it but save your dvd bonus disc not a huge fan rent it.

Edited version (I found it hard to read without punctuation, and since I have the Deluxe DVD, I wanted to know what he said/meant about the BD - plus, I'm an editor at heart!
):

Just picked up this title on BD. I can confirm region-free for those of you outside the USA.

I would have to classify this release for fans only, and here is why: While "BaBa O'Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" from the last-ever public performance by Keith Moon for a die-hard fan such as myself is a joy in Hi-Def, the rest of the disc is a mixed bag at best: 1) The television footage gets no benefit from Hi-Def as you would expect parts of the documentary that were lifted from film exhibit film grain appropriate to the age of the source like Woodstock and Monterey. 2) The audio benefits from DTS-HD MA where the source audio was recorded in multit-track (footage shot just for the film).

Now time to *****: No Extras!!! Commentary track is hardly an extra in my book. If you have the deluxe DVD as I do, hang on to the bonus disc which has a multi-angle video of Baba O' Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again, plus an isolated audio track of John Entwistle (the god of the electric bass) imho and many other people.

So if you're a die-hard fan, grab it but save your DVD bonus disc. If you're not a huge fan, rent it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss /forum/post/18285085

Edited version (I found it hard to read without punctuation, and since I have the Deluxe DVD, I wanted to know what he said/meant about the BD - plus, I'm an editor at heart!
):

Just picked up this title on BD. I can confirm region-free for those of you outside the USA.

I would have to classify this release for fans only, and here is why: While "BaBa O'Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" from the last-ever public performance by Keith Moon for a die-hard fan such as myself is a joy in Hi-Def, the rest of the disc is a mixed bag at best: 1) The television footage gets no benefit from Hi-Def as you would expect parts of the documentary that were lifted from film exhibit film grain appropriate to the age of the source like Woodstock and Monterey. 2) The audio benefits from DTS-HD MA where the source audio was recorded in multit-track (footage shot just for the film).

Now time to *****: No Extras!!! Commentary track is hardly an extra in my book. If you have the deluxe DVD as I do, hang on to the bonus disc which has a multi-angle video of Baba O' Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again, plus an isolated audio track of John Entwistle (the god of the electric bass) imho and many other people.

So if you're a die-hard fan, grab it but save your DVD bonus disc. If you're not a huge fan, rent it.

was not my intent to write war and peace, besides i went to a public skool

and i hated all the kids like you. :)

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo /forum/post/18286401

was not my intent to write war and peace, besides i went to a public skool

So did I. One made "famous" (sort of) by a recent book:

http://www.amazon.com/Girls-Ames-Sto...dp/1592404456/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo /forum/post/18286401

and i hated all the kids like you. :)

Yeah, it's hard being a nerd.

But... thanks for your review. Since I don't have a home theater setup (have to use my TV speakers), upgrading to DTS-HD MA makes no sense, and the picture improvement for the other parts is not necessarily cost-worthy. But re: your remark about Woodstock - the BD of Woodstock, despite being grainy, is light years better than the original SD DVD (or so I've been told - e.g., some people said that people in the crowd were blurs in the original DVD when they should at least have looked like people).

·
Registered
2,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss /forum/post/18285085

Now time to *****: No Extras!!!

I was so pissed to find that out... I rarely do this, but I a/b'd my disc with the DVD, just to see how it'd do. The shot-on-film footage really does look tremendous, while slightly less obvious that the BD is superior for the "found" footage... But it's a real, real bummer that I can't replace the DVD edition.

Was really looking forward to the easter egg to be carried over in High Res, too (the m/c mixe of "Who Are You" ( http://www.dvdtalk.com/eggs/read.php?ID=420 ))

Ah, well. As a Who nut, this was a no brainer, and I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and sell my disc early!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts