Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(

Horror?!?

That's what they try to sell here, but, I aint buyin.

Yes, it's very old. And the steamy nude dance sequences were pretty cutting edge for that decade, but, a "horror" film this is not.

It's a "disturbing" film.

The sense of dread, that a village could actually be as it is, is a worthy effort and you "feel" for the lead character, and cringe for the rest of the cast, it's just not wrapped up leaving the audience fulfilled.

It was most definately controversial in it's day, but, it doesn't hold up for me in the 2000's.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
It's from the mid seventies. I'm not sure that's very old.

I love it myself. To me it still works.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I have a fondness for this one as well, probably related to the number of actors from the (then) just defunct Hammer Films that participated in this Indie film.

I suppose that "Horror" means different things to different people. One of the earliest films I remember seeing at the local theater was the 1959 Hammer production of The Hound of the Baskervilles. During a time when color TVs were rare, this fine film was released in fully-saturated Technicolor. A much younger Christopher Lee starred as Sir Henry Baskerville.

And the never-seen hound was even more frightening than the on-screen monsters from the other Hammer films. Definately Horror, and tamer than I found The Wicker Man. That film generates horror from the circumstances, and from the use of innocent children as plot conspirators.

Gary

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Never really thought of The Wicker Man as horror per se, but more of an offbeat mystery/thriller/pseudo-documentary. On that level it worked fine for me. Not the greatest film ever made but not the worst either. Plus...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) a little insight into some of Britain's pagan traditions, some of which are apparently still in practice today in the form of green-man festivals and what have you.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well, for those who think it's dated, this is being remade... I couldn't believe it when I read about it. New cast includes Nicholas Cage and Ellen Burstyn. I have mixed feelings about this.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayF
Well, for those who think it's dated, this is being remade... I couldn't believe it when I read about it. New cast includes Nicholas Cage and Ellen Burstyn. I have mixed feelings about this.
?? Is Burstyn going to be Cage's mother or grandmother?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
More interested in who might handle the Ekland role.

You know it occurs to me (not exactly sure why) that the title of this film would have made an interesting Friends or Seinfeld vignette a la the Phoebe/Chandler Spider-Man exchange in "The One With The Tiny T-Shirt".

Phoebe: Hey! Why isn't it "Wickermun?" Ya know, like Goldman, or Silverman?

Chandler: It's not his last name!

Phoebe: It isn't?

Chandler: No. It's not like... like "Phil Wickermun". He's a Wicker-Man. You know, like, uh, like Goldman is a last name, but there's no Gold-Man.

Phoebe: Oh, okay! There should be a "Gold-Man!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.