AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it total fiction or based on some 1904, incident? Anybody???:)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
"Adapted from a true incident,..."

The Bergen hostage character was actually an American businessman.

"...the real Raisuli was a Geronimo-like holdout who eventually was caught and executed by the Bashaw and Sultan. He also related a suspiciously exciting account of his capture. Accorting to [director John] Milius, when the Raisuli realized he was too old to fight any longer, he made peace and invited his enemies to a banquet, which he then dynamited! When he was rounded up not long thereafter, he had no property and hardly any followers to speak of."

The quoted excerpts are from imdb. The other is from my memory of what I'd read elsewhere, but cannot find the source for you.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I saw this movie when it came out in 1975 - at Radio City Music Hall in NYC. It was a great experience. Just got the DVD a few days ago. I plan to see it coming weekend -- I am really looking forward to it. I love historical movies, and this is one of the best ones.

Amazon blurb on the movie:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...77652?v=glance

"The up-and-down career of director John Milius had no finer moment than The Wind and the Lion, a dandy adventure tale. It's based on fact: An American (played by Candice Bergen) and her two children were kidnapped in 1904 Morocco by a Berber tribe, an international incident settled by President Theodore Roosevelt's "big stick" military muscle. The film's sweep and swagger are unabashedly old-fashioned, even as Milius occasionally pokes fun at the grand characters. Some of the peripheral material is sloppy, but as long as Milius keeps his sights locked on the two powerful protagonists, he's dead-on: Brian Keith makes a gutsy Roosevelt, and Sean Connery is in splendid form (with Scots accent in place--got a problem with that?) as the dashing Berber chieftain. Perhaps overshadowed by John Huston's The Man Who Would be King the same year (Huston plays advisor John Hay in this one), Wind makes a marvelous companion piece."

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Amazon makes it sound more authentic than it is.

I found a link that gives the background story.

"Years later, the Perdicaris story would be rediscovered by Hollywood in a 1975 movie, "The Wind and the Lion." Sean Connery played Raisuli, but the scriptwriters apparently thought the balding, bearded Perdicaris wasn't a romantic enough character as a man.

So the screenwriters turned "Ion" Perdicaris into "Eden" Perdicaris and cast Candice Bergen in the part."

From - The Capital Century home page

1904: 'Perdicaris alive

or Raisuli dead!'

By JON BLACKWELL / The Trentonian

It's a very interesting story. Ion Perdicaris and his stepson were the actual hostages. Even more interesting is that Perdicaris, it was later found out after the battleships had been dispatched for their rescue, was not even an American citizen. This belatedly discovered fact was kept hidden from the public because it would have embarrassed Roosevelt during the re-election convention and was instead used as another example of his big-stick diplomatic prowess.

http://www.capitalcentury.com/1904.html

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the wonderful responses guyz!:) I had my mom over to view the DVD last night and she wanted to know this stuff. Thanks again!:)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You are most welcome.

I have gotten waaay behind in my viewing. The good news for me is that the Samsung repairman just left after replacing a lamp set in my Sammy DLP. Now I can get back to viewing all of my dvds from the past few weeks stacking up. Trouble is do I start with TWATL, Open Range, OUATIM, Out Of Time, The Swimming Pool, He Walked By Night, The Oxbow Incident, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Firefly, Days Of Wine And Roses, Johnny English....???

:)

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Russ, my stuff isn't and hasn't been broken and I can hardly watch the stuff as fast as I get it. Tonight's dilema OPEN RANGE on DVD or ALIEN ON D-VHS...maybe a double feature?:)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hoohah! Is that the new remastered Alien version on D-VHS? If so it will no doubt be awesome because the DVD version of it is superb. Watched it just before my set went comatose. Enjoy!

Actually after I get back from my son's basketball practice tonight, I'll end up watching the N.H. Demo "debate". Now that's entertainment!

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Rachael,

You'll like Open Range & still waiting on Alien DVHS, but saw both recently in theaters.

Let's not mess up a great movie with facts!!!

Russ,

After waiting years (and years and years) for TWATL, that would be first on my list.

Tim

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
"Let's not mess up a great movie with facts!!!"

:D

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RBO
"Let's not mess up a great movie with facts!!!"

:D
Enquiring minds want to know...;)

Hey Tim, I'm getting ready to head downstairs to my teatro. ALIEN is 2-night's feature since I used the early eve to watch Lady Vols B-Ball. OPEN RANGE will have to wait for tomorrow...:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.