AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three of us from the AVS forum did a fairly extensive comparison of the projectors in the Infocomm projector shoot-out. We stood in front of each projector, ran through the test images and remarked on the quality of the picture, and where they fell short.

In my opinion the Sanyo PLV-60 LCD won the "formal" projector shoot-out (in the under $100K category, anyway). It had the best color reproduction, the best gray-scale linearity, the best gamma settings, the cleanest signal and more.

Now, having said that, there were many manufacturers this year that decided not to participate in the shootout. DWin, Yamaha, Seleco and JVC didn't have any projectors in the shoot-out.

The big downside to this projector was the fairly obvious "graininess" in the picture. It is unclear if this was a result of really bad screen-door or some other factor, but the Sanyo was next to another LCD which did not exhibit the graininess in the picture.

However, the colors, and overall image quality were excellent.

If we count the "off-the-strip" projectors (those not in the formal shoot-out, but displayed elsewhere at InfoComm), the clear winner was the JVC M5000 D-ILA, which was phenomenal.

However, the QXGA D-ILA was really the talk of the show (yes, QXGA!), with 1000:1 contrast, no screen door and that awesome resolution. Of course, we can't really include it in any meaningful comparison as it will debut with a price of over $200K (yikes!). It was Unreal!

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mark-

Did you see the 11HT at the show? Or any other introduction of new 16:9 projectors?

Thanks

Robert

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Mark,

-- if you stop by the Infocus booth, I'm curious about both the 530 & 290 (Nec540 comparison to 290?). More interested in HTPC use than direct video.

-- which 4x3 projector looks best with the Panamorph?

Thanks, JasG

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Sounds underwhelming. I'll find out on Friday. Anybody looking for a free beer, find me tomorrow night at the Imperial Palace double bar on the left past the check-in counter. I'm good for the fits ten AVS members and not even selling anything.

I look just like my photo.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I was about to buy the Sanyo -18N last week, now it looks like I will cough up an extra $1200 to get the Sanyo XPN-60. Now I just have to figure out which screen. I would get the Greyhawk, but it is a bit pricey.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Mark,

Not that you don't have enough questions to answer but...

"Fairly obvious graininess" doesn't sound very appealing. Why didn't this factor more into your opinion of it's overall image quality? Were the other participants just much worse?

--Les

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
When I attended the shootout last year, the most amazing feature was how little apparent difference there was between projectors other than brightness and screen door on SVGA models. Of course, the contrast was impossible to tell due to ambient and the viewing ratio was greater than 2:1 so screen door was not as obvious as in many HT settings.

This year, hopefully, I will be more experienced and discriminating, (i.e. snobbish). So far the pickins' seem slim. Obviously JVC was same old, same old. Nothing on Sony. I'm hoping for some LCOS dark horses.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot:
When I attended the shootout last year, the most amazing feature was how little apparent difference there was between projectors other than brightness and screen door on SVGA models. ...
Hi,

I think fed with the right signal (i.e. a well tuned HTPC) SVGA-DLPs tend to look alike a lot! With the DMD technology maturing the internal scaler seems to be the most important part.

For me as an HTPCer I simply choose the most affordable SVGA. How about the new Plus Piano? The web site does not show any details yet.

Cheers

Christoph

·
Registered
220 Posts
hi Milori

Thanks for the report. Could you please tell a bit more on the JVC M5000 D-ILA (contrast, light output etc.)?

------------------

Best regards

Lars

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Bummer!

I was really hoping for a major shootout between the Sanyo PLV-60 and the new Sony 11HT!

Thanks to you guys that attended Infocomm for giving us the lowdown on all the projectors. I greatly appreciate your time!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thanks for the updates Mark! So it doesn't sound like JVC had anything new in for the HT market afterall.

I'd be curious as to what your impression of the Yamaha is if you get a chance to see it.

Also, is Davis there? I'm wondering what their position is on their closure and the impact on their partners - namely DWIN? Speaking of DWIN, ask them the same if you can corner Ed or Jeff.

Wish I could be there!

Tom

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
freeman and clerner,

I put a posting on another thread about the Plus Piano; I saw their demo. It is 16X9 but does not take HDTV(!) I was very unimpressed since I think HDTV is the way things are going and quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you go to www.jvc.com/pro/infocomm jvc has it's press releases on their new products announced at the show. It shows a new model for home theatre. The DLA-G150HT. If the people at the show get a chance, I loved to hear your impressions. Also, the press release does not list MRSP or availability. thanks, al

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The G150HT was present, and looked really good.

As you might have guessed, it has its roots in the G15, but it is tweaked for contrast and (get this) pre-calibrated from the factory for HT use! Woo hoo! We have finally been heard.

This is a great projector, and really should have been in the shoot out. It's not really fair to "showcase" this projector next to the $85,000 M5000SC and the $225,000 QXGA, but the projector looked great, and had a lot of people asking questions (and getting literature).

Unfortunately, Yamaha wasn't at the show. Sorry.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Milori,

In your opinion, which projector looks best for someone who only wants to watch DVDs, through a DVD player on a large 16:9 screen there at Infocomm? The Sanyo PLV-60, Plus

HE-3100, Infocus LP-530, JVC's DLA-G150HT or Sharp 9000 all seem to be good contenders for my purpose, but what's your best guess based on what you've seen so far?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.