AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 443 Posts

·
Registered
23,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The author of the youtube video says its a fake in the link.
Yeah he updated that description after the fact when people were accusing him. Gotta give him props, it was really well done.

Still excited for the series, just wish it would come out already. Been in development forever, not sure that is a good sign though. I don't see it on their schedule either as coming soon.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
This casting choice is a very good sign of how seriously Netflix is taking the series. I hope they don't do an Altered Carbon with it and screw the pooch with a shakey adaptation of the source material.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I am reserving any judgement on the casting until the series is out. The choice doesn't scream brilliant to me nor does it scream mistake so ...wait and see.

It better be true to the Witcher series in lore and tone. I love both the games and the books so either or a cross will be fine just as long as its written well and the supporting cast is cast well.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
don't know who he is , but love the pc game series.......
hope they do it right .........
Witcher 3 was the best RPG I've ever played, and I've played a LOT of them dating back to the DOS days. Hopefully the series is true to the lore and characters.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Witcher 3 was the best RPG I've ever played, and I've played a LOT of them dating back to the DOS days. Hopefully the series is true to the lore and characters.
It is based on the books not the video game. I have not read the books so I don’t know what differences there are. I just saw the books for sale (translated from the Polish into English) at Barnes and Nobel the other day. The books actually came first before the video game. So to determine if it is true to the source you have to read the books.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Here is a Youtube video that explains a lot about the new Witcher series and Henry Cavill. The guy who does this video, Emergency Awesome, if you are unfamiliar with him, has like a million followers and his videos typically have a half million views, so he is reputable. He does a lot of comic book based media, superhero, and Game of Thrones videos.

·
Registered
23,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
don't know who he is , but love the pc game series.......
hope they do it right .........
You don't know who Henry is? He plays the new Superman in the latest movies and is also in the new Mission Impossible.

·
Registered
435 Posts
^^^^
haven't seen either of those movies... not into those two types of shows..

but I am a dedicated gamer ....... so hope the series does well. Might even join
netflix to watch if it gets good reviews.....

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
It is based on the books not the video game. I have not read the books so I don’t know what differences there are. I just saw the books for sale (translated from the Polish into English) at Barnes and Nobel the other day. The books actually came first before the video game. So to determine if it is true to the source you have to read the books.
The games stay faithful to the core concepts, relationships and most of the characters of the books. CDP tried to make sure of that. The major differences stem from the player choices obviously.

I would be very surprised if the show does not follow all the visual references CDP did, given the amount of effort they put into designing the characters.

·
Registered
23,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Witcher on Netflix: Everything you need to know

Ian Sandwell

We've known since 2017 that Netflixwas working on a new English language adaptation of The Witcher, based on the popular fantasy saga from Polishwriter Andrzej Sapkowski.

Lauren Schmidt Hissrich, who haswritten for the likes of The Defenders, Daredeviland Power,signed on as showrunner and executive producer in December 2017 and a Netflixevent earlier this year teased yet more details about the adaptation. And because we're kind to you,here's everything you need to know about The Witcher on Netflix in onehandy place.

The Witcher Netflix release date:When will it arrive?

There hasn't been a confirmedrelease date yet.

Hissrich previously revealed on herTwitter – which is a feast of The Witcher information – that we couldwell be waiting until 2020 for it to arrive on Netflix.

"Who knows?! We're moving quicklyahead with everything – like, my head is spinning around Exorcist-style,except with enthusiasm, not evil possession – but one thing is certain: qualitycomes before speed. You'll get it as soon as humanly possible, and it'll begood," she promised.

But The Witcher was laterconfirmed to be hitting Netflix sometime in 2019 – we're guessing late in the year, which isstill a pretty tight turnaround.

If that's still too long for you towait, you can always track down The Hexer, a 13-part Polish series basedon The Witcher stories The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny.

We do know that work has begun onthe scripts for the new version as Hissrich added that she has "finishedthe pilot", although it needs a polish, and on May 8, 2018, she posted aphoto from the writers' room as it set to work on the show.

The writers include The Originals'Declan de Barra, Jessica Jones' Jenny Klein and Daredevil's SnehaKoora, while Sapkowski is on board as a creative consultant and Hissrich alsorevealed that there are "several Polish people on the creative team".

We also know that it will beshooting in Eastern Europe as it "couldn'texist anyplace else", according to Hissrich.

The Witcher Netflix cast: Who's init?

With his days as the big-screen'sSuperman apparently behind him, Henry Cavill will be playing The Witcher's lead role of mutated monsterhunter Geralt of Rivia.

When Cavill's casting was announced,Hissrich insisted that there'd never been any other choice for Geralt.

Though the role of Ciri, bad-assheiress to the throne of Cintra, is yet to be cast, news did emerge inSeptember 20 that a BAME actress was being sought for the part. This developmentsparked a backlash amongst a certain sector of Witcher fandom, withHissrich even taking a Twitter hiatus to escape the fallout.

Oh dear.

Aside from these two key roles, wedo at least have a hint of what other characters from Sapkowski's book serieswill feature on the show as Hissrich tweeted out a series of notes on TheWitcher characters.

These included Yennefer, Roach,Jaskier, Triss Merigold, Cahir, Regis and Emhyr and you can read all of them inthis handy Twitter thread.

That's not confirmation that all ofthem will be featured in the first season, but we do know that the show will bebased on the book series and not the video game adaptation.

"We all know there has to becreative distance between the games & the show. Both are adaptations; theyare not themselves connected," Hissrich explained.

The Witcher Netflix episodes: Howmany can we expect?

Hissrich confirmed that we canexpect eight episodes in the first season and outlined some solid reasons forthe relatively brief number.

"I know, I know, it may notseem like enough for you, but creatively, it's the right call. The episodes canbe tight, action-packed, rich in character and story, without lagging in themiddle of the season. Sounds good to me, sound good to you?," she explained.

Sounds good to us.

Of the eight episodes, four will bedirected by Game of Thrones' Alik Sakharov, two directed by Outlander'sCharlotte Brändström and another two directed by Daredevil'sAlex Garcia Lopez.

The Witcher Netflix plot: What's itabout?

The Netflix synopsis makes it clearthe series will be based on the books, describing it as "an epic tale of fate and family".

"Geralt of Rivia, a solitarymonster hunter, struggles to find his place in a world where people often provemore wicked than beasts," the synopsis continues. "But when destinyhurtles him toward a powerful sorceress, and a young princess with a dangerous secret,the three must learn to navigate the increasingly volatile Continenttogether."

Netflix has already got a placeholder pagefor The Witcher – clearly they're as excited as us – which gives a briefoutline of the show: "The witcher Geralt, a mutated monster hunter,struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wickedthan beasts."

Not much additional informationthere, but executive producers Sean Daniel and Jason Brown have a bit more totell you. "The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family thatcomes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world," they teased.

Script segments leaked online in August again had Witcher fandom up inarms, with some taking issue with the characters' "witty banter" andGeralt being described as "ridiculously attractive".

Hissrich, though, insisted thatthese were simply sides using for auditions, and that the scenes wouldn'tfeature in the finished product.

Other than that, you're going tohave to wait, but as soon as we have more concrete plot information, we'llupdate this very page so keep it bookmarked.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/witcher-netflix-everything-know-083926451.html

·
Registered
23,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmmm, not sure I like the look of his character.

First Look at Henry Cavill As Geralt of Rivia in THE WITCHER
Published at: Oct. 31, 2018, 1:52 p.m. CST by Big Eyes

Take a look at the first look we get of Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia in THE WITCHER!

I honestly think this guy doesn’t quite look gruff enough for the part, but what do I know about a video game with extremely clunky controls? The show is actually based off of the book series by the same name, which of course was later developed into a video game series, and now a Netflix series! It’s about monster hunters with supernatural abilities in a pretty unforgiving world.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/81222

·
Registered
23,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man that just doesn't look right. Looks like someone dressing up as Geralt on Halloween not as a character in a TV show. Seems really off.

1 - 20 of 443 Posts