AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13 days ago I bought the Sony HD-100 from the Wiz in Valley Stream, New York. I asked the salesman about the return policy and he said I had 14 days. Because of geometry issues when used with a Toshiba CW34X92 and the loud fan noise I attempted to get a refund today. As it turns out, their policy is not to accept any returns on satellite receivers for any reason (including dead out of the box).

The best I was able to accomplish without going completely crazy was to get a store credit and I had to buy a different HDTV receiver today. So I got the Toshiba DST-3000 knowing the there was not a fan and hoping that the geometry problems would go away since everything was now “Toshibaâ€.

Of course, the geometry problem is still there. Using the RCA DCT-100’s original retrace timing is the only way I can adjust the monitor for an undistorted centered picture. I am therefore forced to stick with the RCA.

I am entitled to a $400 rebate from Toshiba. That brings the effective cost down to $576.49. If anyone in the Long Island or New York City area is interested, I will sell it at that amount so that I will break even and you get a decent price.

The unit seems perfect and has not been hooked up to a dish (I get HD from Cablevision). Email me or send a private message if interested.

B.B.

·
Registered
235 Posts
First: Any place of business not willing to except a unit DOA, is not where I would spend my money. They obviously are not committed to the product they sell.

Second. You might want to check with the BBB to see if such a policy is legal in the first place.

Third: Warn anyone else you may know, not to purchase from this store.

Business's are suppose to service the community not their own needs and desires when they feel it is convenient.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The Wiz (owned by Cablevision) fine print:

"Opened products, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE LISTED BELOW, when accompanied by an original receipt may be returned for a refund within 14 days of purchase if the product is in its original condition accompanied by the original box, packing, manuals, and accessories"

"DSS products may not be returned for a refund or store credit. If defective, DSS units will be exchanged or repaired by the manufacturer of the hardware for the same unit. Please contact the manufacture directly to arrange for repair or exchange:

Sony 800 838 7669 * RCA/Thomson 800 679 4776"

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Bogney,

That is true. I buy most of my electronics at the Wiz, but I know they have had this policy on DSS for a few years now. Did you appeal to the store manager considering the salesperson had told you 14 days?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe the problem with returns is that once the card has been activated, DTV will not deactivate it for use by another customer. The retailer has to send the card back for a swap...which can be an administrative nightmare I s'pose.

I know Abt has taken returns on satellite products, they have 'em on the floor as "red tag specials."

FWIW

Scott

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bogney Baux

get my e-mail about your problem, maybe I can help, I am near Valley Stream.

------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
407 Posts
I purchased the Mits HD400 at the Wiz in NY and they told me that I had 14 days. I never had to return it, but I'd certainly be pissed if the same thing happened to me.

If you don't want to sell the box for a loss, I'd try the credit card charge-back since their sales people either give out misinformation or lie to their customers.

I'd try the argument that you purchased the box as a HD receiver for OTA and not a DSS box. It might not be the strongest argument, but that, coupled with the fact that you were told that you could return the box might work. Escalating the matter to a manager or higher could help also.

Hope it works out or you are able to re-coup your costs. Even if you are able to sell the box, I'd contact the BBB and let them know what kind of outfit The Wiz is. Although, I'd be surprised if they didn't have lengthy file on them already.

-Brett

-Brett

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.