AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From HighDefDigest....

The classic 1939 musical starring Judy Garland will be getting a double dip in 2013.

In an early announcement to retailers, 'The Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition' appears to be coming to Blu-ray in the near future, along with 'The Wizard of Oz - 3D: 75th Anniversary Edition' and 'The Wizard of Oz - 3D: 75th Anniversary Collector's Edition (Amazon Exclusive).'

Specs have yet to be revealed, but the releases are expected to include hours of extra content including: Sing-a-long feature with the film; Complete Magic Cloak of Oz silent shorts (60 min); All-new making-of Documentary; The Dreamer of Oz TV Special (101 min); Munchkins at the Hollywood Walk of Fame Featurette (20 min); Patchwork Girl of Oz (60 min); and a 6 hr. MGM Documentary When the Lion Roars (exclusive to Blu-Ray).

The Blu-ray 3D Collector's Edition will also include a 48 pg Hardcover Photo Book; Ruby Slippers Sparkle Globe; Collectible Award Pin Set by The Noble Collection; Journal; Frameable Map of Oz; and 4 GB "Wicked Witch of the East" flash drive (Amazon exclusive).

Suggested list price for the Blu-ray is set at $19.98, the Blu-ray 3D is $35.99, and the Amazon Exclusive Blu-ray 3D Collector's Edition is $105.43.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I placed my order for a regular 3D copy. Not going for the $100+ set.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I can't see how Judy Garland would be any cuter in 3D, or Margaret Mitchell any greener, as versus the 70th Anniversary 2D release. And even I can't justify springing for that Wicked Witch of the East flashdrive...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Somewhat pricey, either version. Can only hope that the transfer into 3D is a lot better than Dial M for Murder 3D BR, which must be the king of ghosting and should never have been released in the 3D format. Until there are actual reviews of the 3D version, I will wait. I would be more prone to wait a couple of years and wait for the price to drop dramatically. It is not likely to be the equivalent of Titanic 3D BR.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010  /t/1471738/the-wizard-of-oz-3d#post_23300253

Somewhat pricey, either version.

As the release date gets closer, the price will drop. As for the quality of the conversion, they have been working on it for quite some time so I hope for the best. We will see.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That, and ghosting doesn't exist in the source (I think it's actually impossible to encode it that way), it's always in the display.

·
Registered
39 Posts
DIAL M FOR MURDER has zero ghosting (like all 3D Blu-rays). Only the display causes ghosting. The reason ghosting may be more evident between films is due to the level of stereoscopicity in the original photography. Films with more depth and "pop-out" will have more ghosting on poor displays. To avoid ghosting, use DLP or a good LCD screen. Passive is preferred, though active should be fine with such displays. The worst way to watch 3D seems to be active plasma displays. DIAL M does indeed look horrendous this way, but it's the TVs fault, not the disc.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You're making as assumption, without knowing how 3D discs are encoded. It is quite impossible for the ghosting to be "on the disc". Literally... it cannot be done. No matter how much you want to say that it's part of the encode, it simply cannot be. Period. The end. It's not the disc.

Now, one thing that does cause ghosting are high-contrast scenes.. bright highlights against a dark background. I'm going out on a limb and saying that these are the scenes you're referring to, rather than the entire film? Something a lot of those other films, except maybe Dredd, don't have a lot of.

And really, give up with the colored text.. I don't see the need to decode what you're saying, we can all read just fine, and we know how to differentiate a film's title, thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010  /t/1471738/the-wizard-of-oz-3d#post_23305446

Then why don't The Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D, Avatar 3D, The Hubble 3D, Judge Dredd 3D, Titanic 3D, Top Gun 3D, The Life of Pi 3D, and Prometheus 3D look awful on a plasma?

Two reasons, one of which I already addressed in my post. The level of depth and "pop out" of the 3D will create greater ghosting if your display is prone to it. DIAL M has some mega stereoscopic moments, certainly more so than most modern films, which are weak ass in comparison to what people got in the 50s (and even in the 80s). The only modern 3D film I've seen that has 3D "moments" that are as impressive as stuff in CREATURE and DIAL M, is HUGO. This also ghosts like hell on my active plasma display.

The second reason probably has a lot to do with WarnerColor. For information regarding it see this review:

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/dial-m-blu-ray-review

Specifically the section "RESTORING HITCHCOCK’S STEREOSCOPIC VISION" about half way down.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin  /t/1471738/the-wizard-of-oz-3d#post_23306058

Two reasons, one of which I already addressed in my post. The level of depth and "pop out" of the 3D will create greater ghosting if your display is prone to it. DIAL M has some mega stereoscopic moments, certainly more so than most modern films, which are weak ass in comparison to what people got in the 50s (and even in the 80s). The only modern 3D film I've seen that has 3D "moments" that are as impressive as stuff in CREATURE and DIAL M, is HUGO. This also ghosts like hell on my active plasma display.

The second reason probably has a lot to do with WarnerColor. For information regarding it see this review:

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/dial-m-blu-ray-review

Specifically the section "RESTORING HITCHCOCK’S STEREOSCOPIC VISION" about half way down.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect  /t/1471738/the-wizard-of-oz-3d#post_23754955

I'm assuming this is made from the same restoration they did for the 70th anniversary release? Or was the picture improved since that release?

The article makes it sound like it's a brand new transfer, but it's the same transfer and restoration they did for the Blu-ray release. The added step here, if I understand correctly, is IMAX DMR for grain removal and 3-D conversion.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews  /t/1471738/the-wizard-of-oz-3d#post_23756238

The article makes it sound like it's a brand new transfer, but it's the same transfer and restoration they did for the Blu-ray release. The added step here, if I understand correctly, is IMAX DMR for grain removal and 3-D conversion.

For the 70th anniversary restoration, was the film scanned in 4k, 6k or 8k?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.