Studio and Year: Paramount - 2013
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 179 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie, Matthew McConaughey, Kyle Chandler, Rob Reiner, Jon Favreau, Jean Dujardin, Jon Bernthal, P.J. Byrne
Directed by: Martin Scorsese
Written by: Terence Winter based on the book Jordan Belfort
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 25, 2014
"When is enough enough?"

Film Synopsis:

Sex. Money. Power. Drugs. Brace yourself for an outrageous true story from legendary filmmaker Martin Scorsese that critics are calling “a masterpiece for a new generation.”* Leonardo DiCaprio delivers “the best performance of his career”** as a young stockbroker hungry for a life of non-stop thrills, where corruption was king and more was never enough. His rise to power earned him the title The Wolf of Wall Street.

My Take:

The Wolf of Wall Street is based on the book of the same name by Jordan Belfort and tells his true story. In the 1990s Jordan Belfort, former kingpin of the notorious investment firm Stratton Oakmont, became one of the most infamous names in American finance: a brilliant, conniving stock-chopper who led his merry mob on a wild ride out of the canyons of Wall Street and into a massive office on Long Island. Now, in this astounding and hilarious tell-all film, Belfort narrates a story of greed, power, and excess that no one could invent. Stratton Oakmont turned microcap investing into a wickedly lucrative game as Belfort's hyped-up, coked-out brokers browbeat clients into stock buys that were guaranteed to earn obscene profits-for the house. But an insatiable appetite for debauchery, questionable tactics, and a fateful partnership with a breakout shoe designer named Steve Madden would land Belfort on both sides of the law and into a harrowing darkness all his own.

My son caught The Wolf of Wall Street with his friends during its theatrical run and really enjoyed it. I wasn’t convinced that it was worth a trip to the cinemaplex and the rumors going around about its explicitness etc. didn’t provide any further inspiration so I opted to wait for its release on Blu-ray. Directed by Martin Scorsese, this film is broad in scope and narrative as it details one man’s journey from modest beginnings through to a hedonistic world of excess, drug abuse, greed and betrayal. At three hours in length screenwriter Terence Winter and Scorsese leave little to the imagination as Jordan’s meteoric rise is painted with fine strokes.

The film expertly spins a cautionary and extraordinary tale about an ordinary guy who started out with a dream of making it big on Wall Street to living that dream by making hundreds of millions. It chronicles the building of his small empire while highlighted things like the stormy relationship he shared with his model-wife as they ran a madcap household (that included two young children), the drug fueled debauchery, and eventually the felonious plundering that would bring it all down. There is a very kinetic feel to the story that requires little from the audience other than to sit back and take it in. As portrayed in the film (thanks to a terrific performance by Leonardo DiCaprio), and I suspect in real life, Jordan is a larger than life personality that you can’t help but admire at some level. This isn’t because of the bad things he does but because of his ability to inspire others regardless of to what end. We are given a front row seat to watch him spiral unwittingly down the rabbit hole coming full circle.

There is an engaging and at times uncomfortable authenticity to the proceedings that is a testament to the filmmaker’s vision as well as the incredible performances by the cast. As an ensemble the cast is solid but its DiCaprio and Jonah Hill that take it to the next level while providing some of the film’s most memorable moments. Nominated for 5 Academy Awards The Wolf of Wall Street is a roller coaster ride of pernicious indulgence that will have you aghast at one moment and in stitches at the next. It certainly isn’t a film for everyone but for those that can appreciate the strengths of its context it’s a thoroughly entertaining film experience that you won’t soon forget.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of strong sexual content, graphic nudity, drug use and language throughout, and for some brief violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency effects:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

• *Low frequency extension (non-rated element): NA

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

The Wolf of Wall Street comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3 Mbps.

This is a fair high definition video presentation that predominantly mates well with the source material. Colors are deeply saturated with eye pleasing vitality and delineated depth. Images are resolute, with stable sharpness, crisp detail and appreciable subtle refinement. Certain scenes appeared better resolved than others although I suspect this is related to the photography and not the encoding. Contrast appears elevated which imparts a dynamic emphasis that made whites hot and fleshtones noticeably bronzy and odd looking. Blacks were respectable in depth with discernible detail in low lighting and shadows. I didn’t see any overt signs of video related artifacts and other than previously mentioned thought that in general the video looked fine.

This is a solid DTS-HD Master Audio encoding that renders this soundtrack well. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren’t foundation shaking but the subwoofer is kept busy as it works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the low level bass impact as dictated by the film’s elements. Dynamic range is good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. Overall I found the quality of the audio to be high and a perfect fit for the subject matter.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) The Wolf pack – 17 minute making of featurette that includes insights from the cast and filmmakers

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the book of the same name by Jordan Belfort The Wolf of Wall Street is a dark, compelling and intimate cautionary tale about a guy starting out with hopes of living the American dream who quickly succumbs to corporate greed and ultimately a life of corruption. Expertly told and superbly enacted it comes to Blu-ray from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring fair high definition video quality, crystal clear lossless sound and disappointing supplemental package that consists of a single production featurette. Nominated for 5 Academy Awards The Wolf of Wall Street is a roller coaster ride of pernicious indulgence that will have you aghast at one moment and in stitches at the next. It certainly isn’t a film for everyone but for those that can appreciate the strengths of its context it’s a thoroughly entertaining film experience that you won’t soon forget and comes highly recommended.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal )

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System

Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)

Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I actually liked this movie when I watch it at the theaters! Can't wait to receive my copy!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Loved it. I read the book and Jordan Belfort was a maniac! Leo as always put forth a brilliant performance. Make a cocktail , sit down and have fun with this one.

·
Premium Member
24,055 Posts
Will definitely will be blind buying this movie. Everything Leo touches is gold !!

Reactions: markmathers

·
Banned
1,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin  /t/1522401/the-wolf-of-wall-street-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_24480964

Will definitely will be blind buying this movie. Everything Leo touches is gold !!

Can't agree about Leo...not a big fan. But certainly everything Scorsese touches is gold...plus anything that gets the politically-correct panties in such a bunch is a definite blind buy for me.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I'm looking forward to renting this movie from Netflix (I hope that it comes with lossless audio!) because I missed it when it came out in theaters.

Cal68

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Ralph, Do check if you got Shakespeare ancestry. I am amazed by your writing skills. It has a poetic touch which require special skills.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316  /t/1522401/the-wolf-of-wall-street-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review/0_20#post_24485093

Ralph, Do check if you got Shakespeare ancestry. I am amazed by your writing skills. It has a poetic touch which require special skills.

Greetings,

Thanks so much lgans316.

I am pretty sure that I don't but then again you never know...

Regards,

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316  /t/1522401/the-wolf-of-wall-street-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_24485093

I would have to agree, always well written and a polished guy all around. Looking forward to this movie, seems another Oscar escaped old Leo.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by furchtlos  /t/1522401/the-wolf-of-wall-street-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review/0_20#post_24485223

I would have to agree, always well written and a polished guy all around. Looking forward to this movie, seems another Oscar escaped old Leo.

Greetings,

Thank you furchtlos, your comments are very much appreciated. Be sure to post back once you've seen The Wolf of Wall Street...

Regards,

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Excess? Wow! I guess excess is all relative. Belfort has stated that the excess depicted in this movie is tame compared to what he was actually into. I really liked this movie since I could live vicariously through Belfort and come out the other side in one piece. I thought all the performances were very good. I couldn't understand why I had to take a bathroom break a couple of times until afterwards when I discovered the movie was 3 hours long.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
yep, great movie among the best from Marty,.................................... and then there is Margot Robbie............................ lord have mercy.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner  /t/1522401/the-wolf-of-wall-street-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review/0_20#post_24513569

Can not wait to watch this! Ralph, I've always enjoyed reading your reviews since The Home Theater Spot. There's a flashback!

Greetings,

Thanks The Prisoner. You're right, that definitely takes me back..

Don't be a stranger.

Regards,

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I really liked this one despite its minor flaws. Some scenes tended to go on a little long and overstated their point, but the first act of this film was hilarious!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Absolutely loved the movie!!! However, while the player was playing "Jack Ryan" trailer the player froze Panasonic BDT-500. Unplugged the player and plugged it back in and the trailers played through without incident as well as the movie!!! But I had a whole different set of trailers - the first time I played it it started with "Noah" but when I played the disc back it started with Jack Ryan.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts