AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
" The Wrestler " - Director Darren Aronofsky ( "The Fountain" , " Requiem for a Dream " & " Pi ") presents us with an intriguing look into the world of an aging wrestler as well as his would be love interest an aging stripper. Two once "at the top" performers who have now passed their prime but aren't quite ready to call it quits just yet.

Mickey Rourke's performance as "Randy 'The Ram' Robinson" is as real as it can get. What a great comeback for a once great actor. Mickey as 'Randy' is so convincing he sucks you right into to his world, you feel his pain, his desires, his passion, desperation and heartache!

Marisa Tomei performance as Cassidy parallels MR's and adds the perfect catalyst to this raw and yet heartbreakingly tender film.


The film centers on Randy 'The Ram' Robinson, a once on top but now pass his prime professional wrestler as he makes his way through the hard times that are a result of his life choices.


On a side note, even with the make-up artists very believable aging Marisa Tomei looks absolutely amazing (clothed and unclothed).

This should be a movie you want to see, this is a movie you must see! Highly Recommended!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
The Movie Network aired a short preview piece on this film yesterday and it definitely appears to be one worth venturing out in the snow, to a theatre of all places, to see.


Marisa Tomei seemed quite sincere when she commented that Rourke really deserved to be given a role such as this. Nice to see the both of them 'back'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
The Wrestler...


I saw this film last night and it really impressed me... Rourke gave a brilliant performance ..I never thought he could after being in the dumps for that last 20 years... He has been nominated for Best Actor.. and I think he really deserves it... Marisa Tomei also gave an outstanding performance...





EDIT: too bad you can edit the thread title... sorry for the misprint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris /forum/post/15647995


The Wrestler...


I saw this film last night and it really impressed me... Rourke gave a brilliant performance ..I never thought he could after being in the dumps for that last 20 years... He has been nominated for Best Actor.. and I think he really deserves it... Marisa Tomei also gave an outstanding performance...





EDIT: too bad you can edit the thread title... sorry for the misprint.

Agree, it is a GREAT movie. I started a thread on "The Wrestler" back at the beginning of Jan; link.


PooperScooper, how about a thread merge?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,216 Posts
Although I was impressed with both Rourke's and Marisa Tome's performances, I hated the movie. To me it was a downer for the ages, exploring the latest series of screw ups by a schlub whose life had been filled with them. Let me hasten to add that I recognize many, perhaps most, viewers loved The Wrestler and my opinion places in me a distinct minority. I also hated Barfly, which also starred Rourke but with Faye Dunaway. Like The Wrestler, I thought it wasted great performances on loser characters for whom I could not feel the slightest compassion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/15430641


On a side note, even with the make-up artists very believable aging Marisa Tomei looks absolutely amazing (clothed and unclothed).

Tomei really did look great in The Wrestler. When you consider her age at the time, 43, she was even more impressive. She looked equally great in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, filmed when she was 41! The lady obviously spends a lot of time in the gym -- not that the raw material doesn't warrant it.



More seriously, Tomei is a terrific actress and has a lot of range. It's easy to forget that, despite her dramatic chops, she has comedy talent, too. She proved it with an Oscar for her wonderfully funny performance in My Cousin Vinny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,194 Posts
George Costanza was no dummy, after all...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutter cane /forum/post/15662336


the praise this movie is getting is intriguing and i really like all of aronofsky's films, but i think wrestling is stupid, would i enjoy this?

yes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter Cane /forum/post/15662336


The praise this movie is getting is intriguing and I really like all of Aronofsky's films, but I think wrestling is stupid, would I enjoy this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/15662610


yes!

Although I disliked The Wrestler, it has received mostly lavish praise. Even I admired, although not exactly enjoyed, the performances of its stars, Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tome. Both were remarkable. Try it, you might like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,771 Posts
Indeed, Tomei is a terrific actress. She has proven herself time and time again these last few years. I thought she was great in a recent Sydney Lumet film called THE DEVIL KNOWS YOUR DEAD where she showed a great sdeal of breastesses action again. Holy smokes, she was hot.
Her role was supporting, but she played it beautifully. Great film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0292963/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/15666289


Indeed, Tomei is a terrific actress. She has proven herself time and time again these last few years. I thought she was great in a recent Sydney Lumet film called THE DEVIL KNOWS YOUR DEAD where she showed a great sdeal of breastesses action again. Holy smokes, she was hot.
Her role was supporting, but she played it beautifully. Great film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0292963/

I, too, admired Tomei's performance in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, as well as how great she looked. I am ambivalent about the film itself, however. Despite its many great performances and Lumet's inspired direction, I couldn't get through it when I started to watch it again recently. It was too wearingly depressing for me that time, although I had watched it twice before. What a sad family they were!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/15666289


Indeed, Tomei is a terrific actress. She has proven herself time and time again these last few years. I thought she was great in a recent Sydney Lumet film called THE DEVIL KNOWS YOUR DEAD where she showed a great sdeal of breastesses action again. Holy smokes, she was hot.
Her role was supporting, but she played it beautifully. Great film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0292963/
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/15667252


I, too, admired Tomei's performance in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, as well as how great she looked. I am ambivalent about the film itself, however. Despite its many great performances and Lumet's inspired direction, I couldn't get through it when I started to watch it again recently. It was too wearingly depressing for me that time, although I had watched it twice before. What a sad family they were!

I loved her in BTDKYD and I loved the movie. Her performances in BTDKYD and in "The Wrester" are outstanding not to mention her fantastic breastessess!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,216 Posts
As noted earlier, I hated The Wrestler and its characters, although it was filled with wonderful performances. I will probably watch it again when it comes out of BD. I hope I like it better the second time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,194 Posts
Ebert has broken down his picks among Oscar nominees...He gives "Best Actor in a Leading Role" to Rourke, and says he's convinced Mickey was willing to DIE to get this performance right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,216 Posts
I return to this long dormant thread because I got The Wrestler BD from my neighborhood BB store this morning and watched it this afternoon. After watching it it a second time, I think much more highly of it than I did after I saw it in the theater. Rather than being just a tear jerking downer it is a human tragedy that moved me deeply this time around.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Robin Radzinski, aka Randy "The Ram" Robinson, is a broken down professional wrestler now reduced to living in a mobile home, or the back of his van when he gets too far behind on his rent. He is a loser who has squandered his money, his health, and the love of his family because, as his estranged daughter put it in one particularly wrenching scene, "You are a f**k up! That he is.


Despite Randy's many weaknesses, in the end he lives his life on his own terms and there is something noble about that. Despite having had a bad heart attack and heart bypass surgery, which led Randy's doctor to tell him he could not wrestle again, Randy does it anyway. What leads to this decision is the crux of the story.


A combination of bad luck and worse judgment creates a level of frustration that leads Randy back to the ring for a rematch against The Ayatollah, the original having taken placed to great acclaim in the '80s. The final scene depicts the rematch and to call it "powerful" would fail to do it justice, "overwhelming" would be more accurate. Is this a depiction of Randy's death? Watch it and then decide for yourself.


The final song, The Wrestler, written and performed by Bruce Springsteen over the closing credits is brilliant.


Upon mature reflection I now recommend this movie highly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/16314101


I return to this long dormant thread because I got The Wrestler BD from my neighborhood BB store this morning and watched it this afternoon. After watching it it a second time, I think much more highly of it than I did after I saw it in the theater. Rather than being just a tear jerking downer it is a human tragedy that moved me deeply this time around.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Robin Radzinski, aka Randy "The Ram" Robinson, is a broken down professional wrestler now reduced to living in a mobile home, or the back of his van when he gets too far behind on his rent. He is a loser who has squandered his money, his health, and the love of his family because, as his estranged daughter put it in one particularly wrenching scene, "You are a f**k up! That he is.


Despite Randy's many weaknesses, in the end he lives his life on his own terms and there is something noble about that. Despite having had a bad heart attack and heart bypass surgery, which led Randy's doctor to tell him he could not wrestle again, Randy does it anyway. What leads to this decision is the crux of the story.


A combination of bad luck and worse judgment creates a level of frustration that leads Randy back to the ring for a rematch against The Ayatollah, the original having taken placed to great acclaim in the '80s. The final scene depicts the rematch and to call it "powerful" would fail to do it justice, "overwhelming" would be more accurate. Is this a depiction of Randy's death? Watch it and then decide for yourself.


The final song, The Wrestler, written and performed by Bruce Springsteen over the closing credits is brilliant.


Upon mature reflection I now recommend this movie highly.

Glad to see you come around gwsat; as I said in my orginal post:

This should be a movie you want to see, this is a movie you must see! Highly Recommended!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/16314409


Glad to see you come around gwsat; as I said in my orginal post:

This should be a movie you want to see, this is a movie you must see! Highly Recommended!

You guys were right and I was wrong about this lovely film. It is a tragedy of Shakespearian proportions, beautifully shot and brilliantly acted. By the way, the 5.1 DTS HD MA soundtrack is terrific, too. During one of the scenes in the bar where Cassidy worked, a closeup showed her sitting at the bar, when Randy spoke to her from off camera. The surround channels with Randy's line were so lifelike I nearly levitated. At first, I thought a stranger had come into my big room behind my back and spoken to me from the doorway. Yikes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,194 Posts
The tragedy is brought down to the level of the two leads, and it has immediacy and power. Both of these people are "foul-ups," and they just cannot seem to help themselves when it comes to making the exact wrong choices. When she finally made a decision I had been hoping she'd make, well...see for yourself. Highly recommended.
 
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top