Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether the video in the X-Files season box sets is passing by at 24 frames per second (film) or 30 (NTSC video). I enjoy 30 fps material that is often seen on documentaries/concerts and such and getting the X-Files in 30 fps could most likely pursuade me to buy the region 1 releases of these sets instead of R2.

Or perhaps the show was shot with film cameras from the start?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi Martin,

I have all five seasons of the X-Files Region 1 box sets and can't say enough good things about them. Seasons one through four exist in the standard NTSC 4:3 aspect ratio they were shot in. The new season five set is the first year the show was shot in 16x9 and is provided in 1.78:1 anamorphic wide screen.

Having bought each season as they've been released there has been a gradual improvement with each set. There is plenty to nit pick over in terms of compression artifacts that show up from time to time, and some general inconsistencies that are the result of variations in how individual episodes were shot. Season five looks the best so far, and overall I have found the R1 X-Files sets to be some of the finest looking television material available.

Howie

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Film yes - but that says nothing about the actual encoding on the DVDs. I really don't understand why someone would want 30fps video encoding compared to 24fps film though. That's lower quality right off the bat.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
All dvd's are encoded at 30fps. If you have an HDTV and PS dvd player I and it is film source then you can convert it back to 24fps but otherwise you always get 30fps.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
For what it's worth, I just did an analysis of one of these discs, and it's pretty clearly shot on 24fps film, then transferred to video for editing and post-production. The flags are really ugly. Whenever there are non-frame-coherent edits, they drop the 3-2 pulldown cadence, but keep the progressive flag set to "true," which is wrong.

Also, from time to time for no reason that I can see, the flags drop out of 3-2 format for several seconds, and keep the progressive-frame flag set to "true."

In many ways, these are the worst-flagged discs I've ever encountered. On an interlaced display, this won't be a significant problem, and on a progressive DVD player with a cadence-analyzing chip like the Sage or Silicon Image, it should be handled just fine. But on an HTPC or flag-reading DVD player, bad things are going to occur; either ugly combing or constant switches from film to video mode.

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.