AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that this year the CRTs have alot of errors and problems, a lot more than last year. So is this the year not to buy CRTs? Should I wait until next year to buy a CRT in hopes of less errors?

I was thinking of buying the 34" widescreen Sony HS420 or should I get the Toshiba HF84 instead? I read that the colors of the Sony sets are cartoony but would these cartoony colors be better for videogames than the Toshiba? Would the Sony have clearer edges and sharper picture than the Toshiba? Clarity is important for me.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I just got the Sony 34XBR960 CRT set and have no issues with geometry or color. It was manuf in June 05. i was a little worried cause I had read some issues with the XBR sets too, regarding geometry. I think it was mainly on earlier models, I'm happy with mine.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite
I heard that this year the CRTs have alot of errors and problems, a lot more than last year. So is this the year not to buy CRTs? Should I wait until next year to buy a CRT in hopes of less errors?

I was thinking of buying the 34" widescreen Sony HS420 or should I get the Toshiba HF84 instead?
Tube TVs nowadays have poorer build quality than the old days and have a higher failure rate than ever according to my friend's father (semi-retired TV repairman). TV prices keep going down and down every year and build quality has gone down with it. Even the almight Sonys have problems and you'll find tons of posts here. Every single Sony product i've owned has failed out of warranty (i'm not exaggerating) VCRs, alarm clocks, my Trinitron, cordless phones, answering machine, CD player. Nice engineering, but poor execution.

The Toshiba 34HF84 is last years model so you'd probably never find a new one, and it's replacement (34HF85) is now made by some low-end VCR company in a jungle.

If i were to buy a 34" tube TV i'd get the Panasonic as these are still pretty good quality. If you can find a 34" JVC then THAT would be THE TV to have, but they're discontinued too.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Even the almight Sonys have problems and you'll find tons of posts here. Every single Sony product i've owned has failed out of warranty (i'm not exaggerating) VCRs, alarm clocks, my Trinitron, cordless phones, answering machine, CD player. Nice engineering, but poor execution.
Are you serious, Randy? Even Sony alarm clocks and answering machines failed out of warranty? These products can last for a really long time. I still have my 3.5 years old Sony CD alarm clock, gets abuse often, and it still works perfectly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I get an extended warranty for the Sony 34HS420 then? How long of a warranty should I get? What does it cover?

I hear everyone saying that Panasonics are great but how are the colors compared to the Sonys? Are the cartoony Sony colors good for video games?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.