AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I got bored and wanted to try something different. I put two RE XXX 18 subs in to my wall and porting it to 8-10hz, not sure yet as I have not measured. I also built the BFM TLAH speakers and testing them in stereo right now. I really like them as it combines two of my favorite so far, the M&K S-5000 and DR-250. I have to build 7 more to complete the room. The port was designed by LTD02 and is massive for my wall. I can fit two more XXX 18s if I need them but I will test to see.

Taking apart the wall

Building it back up, sealing it, and better bracing

The port

RE XXX 18

TLAH

More to come!

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Very interesting project MK. This is an IB take off with the XXX 18's. You also look to be doing new mains that should give good vertical coverage for a massive front stage. Keep the pic's coming and keep push'N', lol.:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
What did you used to have in the front wall? What subs?

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had 8 SI 18-HTs. It will be pretty impressive if it comes very close. The newly designed port has yet to be tested.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I had 8 SI 18-HTs. It will be pretty impressive if it comes very close. The newly designed port has yet to be tested.
Can I ask why you moved to 2 XXX18s if you think this would possibly be a lateral move?

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always wanted to try them and I have boxes or a wall perfect for them. It frees up lots of room.

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My intentions are to add 2 more later when I get bored. The real project are the speakers.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
What xo are you planning? I'm guessing the 60-100hz range will be the weak spot for the xxx. Haven't read much about the TLAH, how low do they go?

Did you consider the TLAH pro? Seems more your size, lol.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Nice MK. I saw you post something about the TLAH on BFMs forum. Can't wait to get some more impressions of the TLAHs and subs!

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not measured anything yet. I usually crossover to where the response is smoothest at the LP, then tweak from there. They can go to 80hz. The XXX can play 80hz just fine and I have a small room. So far during loud music the subs sound the same as before with 12 drivers. Remember I never could crank the old system as bass is concerned. I know Dave Matthews Bluray sounds excellent and nothing lacking in bass, same goes for other cd and Spotify sources. When I get at least a 5.1 system going then I can compare the bass movies I love. If it lacks the goal is adding two more XXX 18s if need be.

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am building TLAH for the soft dome rather than piezos. Do the TLAH pro use soft domes?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Not sure what the pro version uses. I'm sure you don't need the spl, but they do dig down to 50hz according to the website.

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I sealed them as designed. They are ported at the top.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I would not change soft dome drivers if you already have them. Compression drivers would lead to increased efficiency and maybe more controlled directivity. But, the room is not large and these may be mute factors if you don't need them. Room consideration can't be underscored. That port is going to work out two ways. It will deliver a ton of air and hit you in the face with a lot of direct TR.. The other way is that is will keep port velocity low and the room won't have the wind tunnel effect but, will deliver a severe PR and indirect TR. Either way it should be great. Keep us updated with your progress. You may be into a new dimension of HT from what most of us are doing.:)

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually this is the first time I did everything myself. I am not that handy and decided to take this on. My friends always did the building for me and I would either pay them or give them speakers and subs. This is the first time I have that DIY reward feeling but only because they sound great. I don't think they will win any spl contests but the TLAH sound really clear and dynamic without any upper end grit(harshness). They are ranked 1 in the smooth category. They can play reference peaks in my room with no problems. I think they might play the same loudness as the Berries but not sure. I think people went away from the XXX due to the DB numbers but that box was much too small for these. They require really big boxes and if you look at the XXX ported you can see it come alive. So I built 2 so far. I bet these two are equal to 6 SIs but I won't know for sure yet. I forgot how easy it was to wire up two subs after all my arrays. Then I wired the TLAH and it came right back.

1 - 20 of 427 Posts