AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 452 Posts

·
Registered
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I would not change soft dome drivers if you already have them. Compression drivers would lead to increased efficiency and maybe more controlled directivity. But, the room is not large and these may be mute factors if you don't need them. Room consideration can't be underscored. That port is going to work out two ways. It will deliver a ton of air and hit you in the face with a lot of direct TR.. The other way is that is will keep port velocity low and the room won't have the wind tunnel effect but, will deliver a severe PR and indirect TR. Either way it should be great. Keep us updated with your progress. You may be into a new dimension of HT from what most of us are doing.:)

I have always liked soft domes and ribbons(planars) for music but always lacked dynamics for HT. MY M&K S-5000s were dynamic enough and sound great, but lacked a little detail and that big sound of some of the others. I was hoping the TLAH would combine the two. I remember when I compared the Triad in room gold LCR(old version), the S-5000, and the DR-200 and said the triad played a piano softest, M&K in the middle, and the DR-200 sound like someone was pressing the keys hard. Everything else about the DR-200 was better than the rest so I wanted that softer piano strike like the M&Ks.

I also remember when Archaea was comparing speakers and mentioned the LOTR:FOTR scene where the Hobbit knocked over the bucket of chains and fell to wake up the Goblins. He said the JTR sound like chains. I use that scene as well and my JTR 888LP did play that scene very nicely compared to the DR-200 which was harder sounding. The TLAH is the bridge between them IMHO. I am not sure on their absolute volume though. I am trying the brand new outlaw 7140 made by ATI. This amp is incredible with a zero noise floor with these 99 dB sensitive speakers.

·
Registered
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
They sound great for music, not sure about theater because I have been watching in two channel which compresses the dynamics. They are very clear with a big sound stage. They are not spl blasters but enough to hit reference in my room easily. They are 99 dB sensitive. I use a Marantz 7702 and outlaw amps(brand new). I want to measure them and the subs very soon. My computer with all my saved data is toast so I have to configure a new computer. I have a UMIK about the response below 10hz is terrible.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
They sound great for music, not sure about theater because I have been watching in two channel which compresses the dynamics. They are very clear with a big sound stage. They are not spl blasters but enough to hit reference in my room easily. They are 99 dB sensitive. I use a Marantz 7702 and outlaw amps(brand new). I want to measure them and the subs very soon. My computer with all my saved data is toast so I have to configure a new computer. I have a UMIK about the response below 10hz is terrible.
Can you list your previous speakers, just to get an idea of where you've been ?

When you say, they are not Spl monsters, is Bill's design specific to one mid woof and tweeter, or can you drop in what you want as long as they fit a certain parameter ?

Are you doing Atmos yet, what speakers and amp if you are ? Even the older Outlaws are pretty quiet amps....

·
Registered
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes I had a 7.2.4 system previously. If you change parts I would think the crossover would change as well. I have owned so many speakers, amps, processors, subs, etc it is silly. I have changed whole systems 10 times and why titled as so. I have tried stuff in between as well.

·
Registered
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It has been a very long time for me. Over a year since I changed anything.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

·
Registered
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Still the best system in my room. All matching makes a huge difference. I have not heard a full TLAH yet.

·
Registered
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Finally received the rest of my parts. Hopefully I can get this system done by the weekend. I already know the TLAH has the best detail and smoothness of any speaker before. Their sound stage is top as well. I have a feeling I am in for a treat.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I can't believe how Bill makes cheap parts work!
I made my TLAH prototypes with PE closeout midbasses that were $ 0.79 each, and tweeters that were $ 0.29 each, just to see what could be done with inexpensive drivers. It's easy to get a good result when you add two more decimal places to those prices, but one of the benefits to line arrays is that you don't have to, although unless you're lucky enough to find closeouts you'll probably have to add one more decimal place.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I made my TLAH prototypes with PE closeout midbasses that were $ 0.79 each, and tweeters that were $ 0.29 each, just to see what could be done with inexpensive drivers. It's easy to get a good result when you add two more decimal places to those prices, but one of the benefits to line arrays is that you don't have to, although unless you're lucky enough to find closeouts you'll probably have to add one more decimal place.
I was taken aback by the line array I heard at Axpona. It had to be $$$$$.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
It had to be $$$$$.
Maybe, maybe not. Part of what you get with more expensive drivers is better response, but much of what you get is higher power thermal power handling, displacement and sensitivity. The more drivers you have the less power handling, displacement and sensitivity you need from each of them. I know the exhibited Dayton array uses $20 drivers, but you can get a very good result from $5 drivers.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. Part of what you get with more expensive drivers is better response, but much of what you get is higher power thermal power handling, displacement and sensitivity. The more drivers you have the less power handling, displacement and sensitivity you need from each of them. I know the exhibited Dayton array uses $20 drivers, but you can get a very good result from $5 drivers.
Interesting info. The cbt 24 was amazing considering it sounded awesome out in front of a table in the middle of a hallway! I found a picture of the one I loved at the show.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
. I already know the TLAH has the best detail and smoothness of any speaker before. Their sound stage is top as well. I have a feeling I am in for a treat.
There needs to be a special rule just for MKtheater.

No impressions or reviews of a speaker till you've had them for 3 months.

21 - 40 of 452 Posts