AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 452 Posts

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Still love all the speakers I had, I keep many for a year or more. I am just curious and like to try stuff. The biggest thing I have tested all of them in my room. I have had these TLAH for over a month. I was just waiting on the rest of the drivers to finish. I only ordered a pair at first to test against the speakers I do have, the 215xl, DIY JBL using expensive drivers, wedge 10s, and a couple DR-250s hanging around. I also have access to JTR 888 and SHO-10s. I think it is fun trying different things. I also recently tested the JBL 308.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I love the idea behind line arrays except for their lack of extension. Do these extend low enough to a sub (80hz)? Or do they need something else to get low enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I love the idea behind line arrays except for their lack of extension. Do these extend low enough to a sub (80hz)?
Mine do. Which don't?

Reactions: Russell Burrows

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Slight change of plans. I was going to build 5 TLAH and 4 SLA for 5.2.4 atmos but maybe I should build 3 TLAH and 8 SLA for 7.2.4. What do you guys suggest? I can't fit two TLAH on the back wall. Let restate something as well, these TLAH sound fantastic. I am curious on using drivers that are smoother but the line naturally smooths the response and these are so clear. i am starting to cut tomorrow for the rest of the cabs.

·
Registered
11,899 Posts
Yes I had a 7.2.4 system previously. If you change parts I would think the crossover would change as well. I have owned so many speakers, amps, processors, subs, etc it is silly. I have changed whole systems 10 times and why titled as so. I have tried stuff in between as well.
Would you say that going from 7.X to 7.X.4 is worth it?

At the moment I'm still 7.X

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I really like atmos, IMHO much better than 5.1 to 7.1. I don't even have the proper height as ceilings are concerned.

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well, I have finally finished 7 speakers. First impressions coming, my TLAH are my 4 surrounds, I built an upgraded driver SLA with different crossovers and dimensions. The only thing the same is driver layout. I love these little speakers. I will post more later and figure out a way to post pics now PB sucks.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Well, I have finally finished 7 speakers. First impressions coming, my TLAH are my 4 surrounds, I built an upgraded driver SLA with different crossovers and dimensions. The only thing the same is driver layout. I love these little speakers. I will post more later and figure out a way to post pics now PB sucks.
Been following your thread on here and BF forum. I would love some graphs and impressions once all is done.

For photos try http://imgur.com/

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
No, I prefer my custom speaker. I happen to try it out because I don't solder. It is just a bit smoother and fitting into a smaller enclosure with half the drivers means half the time to build.

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Ok what gives! The two ported XXX ported subs are killer. They present a more visceral experience than my 8 SIs! Why? The response is almost identical.

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Let's see, everything. The mid bass is much better than I was expecting based on DB. Once that port kicks in lights outs! I have a rising response from 80-7hz and then 80 hz is flat with 3.5hz. Same response as before or very close. This is actually smoother:

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I am really liking this setup. I love my little speakers I made, they sound great and dynamic with a very smooth detailed sound. I still have to measure but if my DIY speaker measure better than my TLAH at 1 meter then I am going full 11.2 with my DIY version. I still can't believe the two XXX ported subs. By far the best low frequency drivers I have heard in my wall, thanks @LTD02 for the port design!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
all the pics are broken. can you repost them here.

thanks

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I am working on it. I have two more speaker designs I am trying and then finalizing.

41 - 60 of 452 Posts