Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My theater isn't going to be symmetrical
And the asymmetry is going to be in front of me - another no-no. It's a 22' x 16' room in the basement with a recess behind the seats for the equipment.

Notice in the diagram in the bottom left... The asymmetry extends for about 7' from the main 22x16 compartment. On the opposite side is a pair of large sliding doors that will be closed/sealed when the theater is in use. (Things have changed a little since the diagram, hence the 3am paint job. i also sketched in the approximate locations of speakers)

Short of closing off that area completely with drywall, is there a relatively simple fix for this that'll be acoustically pleasing? Some random brainstorming:

-Is there some sort of "acoustic curtain" that I can hang there? (blue)

-will adding drywall extending from the wall (bottom of diagram) be of any significant help?

·
Registered
137 Posts
My old lounge room is similar to your suitation (it's currently undergoing HT conversion), the asymmetry is only an issue for imaging in 2ch systems (music), multi channel HT systems aren't as room dependant, the only issue you'll have is optimal sub placement which is an issue all HT systems share.

The curtain would help astheticly and psychoacousticly (the room dimentions will "look" right, and therefore "sound" right), the sliding door on the right could do with a curtain as well, would help with early reflections and make the room look even.

Don't stress over curtain materials, just get the thickest heaviest curtain you can (it'll be the one that costs the most :p)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.