AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after years and years of waiting, I finally get to realize one of life long goals... to have a dedicated theator room.

I am in the very beginning stages of this build (the house isn't even completed yet) but would like to start the planning.

Here is the room layout and dimensions.

First off, the components I'll be using:

Projector - IN76

Receiver - HK 354 - 7.1

Bluray - PS3

Subwoofer - Bose Accoustimass 15

Rear Speakers - Bose cube speakers

Center Speaker - JBL

Front Speakers - Unsure/Open to suggestions

Side Speakers - Unsure/Open to suggestions

Questions for you guys:

With the IN76, what size image should I plan for?

Will the screen need a crown/arch to it?

What screen material is recommended for the IN76? There will be minimal lighting in this room.

Should I close off the wall and make the theater a separate room? Or use the small area from where you enter the room for a bar area?

With the estimated length of the room being around 16'5, should I plan for only 1 row of seating or will 2 rows fit?

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidaames4 /forum/post/17016554

I have no problem dumping the sub but is there any reason why? I liked the built amp inside of the sub. What about the cube speakers?

Morning:

The reason he recommended dropping Bose was due to the price and performance. Bose is mpt a very well liked manufacturer on this forum. You can buy better performing speakers and a subwoofer for less than a complete Bose system. There are several good traditional speaker companies as well as internet direct manufacturers. My suggestion would be to figure out a budget for your equipment and then start heavily researching the Speaker and Subwoofer sub-forums. There is quite a lot of information out there.

With that being said, don't let anyone tell you what you should or shouldn't buy. In the end it is you who is going to be hearing the sound. Don't be afraid to experiment. Quite a few manufacturers offer a 30 day "no questions asked" return guarantee if you don't like the sound. Find something you like that is within your price range and go for it.

·
Registered
736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidaames4 /forum/post/17016554

I have no problem dumping the sub but is there any reason why? I liked the built amp inside of the sub. What about the cube speakers?

you have to use that goofy ribbon cable to attach it to your reciever, which limits your placement. not to mention that it has what kind of woofer in it, a couple of 5 1/4" paper cones? A decent powered sub will blow that thing away.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Build a screen wall across that 10'5" x 3' section. Put your front speakers in there behind the screen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice TradeViceroy. The only reason I had the bose listed in there is because I have them laying around and not being used. I am open to finding a better sub (and rear speakers) but wanted to put more money into the construction than into the components for the time being.

Vcook: I must admit, I do hate that ribbon cable that the Bose sub uses.

Shaneotool: I was thinking that exactly. Will the picture size on the IN76 be sufficient at that distance? Do you think it is ok having the front speakers in that close with the center speaker?

Anyway, at that distance, should the screen be a flat rectangle or does it need a curve to it? I'll have to do more research in the screen forums.

Do you guys think I will be able to fit in 2 rows of seating? I am planning on changing the furnace room door to open inward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts