AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone back and forth on my design and still can't decide so I decided I'd ask the experts on this board. I finished my basement including a dedicated, light controlled media room about a year ago. I'd now like to change it to a theater.

Dimensions are 14.5 x 18.5 x 8.5.

Its set up now with a 50 inch dlp on one 18 foot wall with 5.1 sound.

I would like a 16.9 front projector with a 100+ inch screen. Room use is 70/30 Blue ray/HDTV (mostly sports)

I would prefer to keep orientaion the same for wiring reasons but am not sure if a roughly 13 foot viewing distance (with seats against back wall) is appropriate for 100-110 inch screen. Also I would like to move the surrounds (paradigm dipoles) to the sides as they are directly behind the couch right now. That would put them roughly 8 feet away. Is that Ok?

Any and all input is wanted and greatly appreciated-I really dont want to screw this up as wife will likely only give me one chance with this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
You'll get much better help if you post a plan.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT /forum/post/16909602

You will get outstanding help if you pay for it

Rather harsh thing to say to someone who is brand new to AVS, no?

To the OP - what TRT is implying is that AVS is largely a DIY oriented forum. No one is just going to whip up some plans for you based on your request. But we genrally try to help people who are willing to help themselves.

Read a ton of build threads. Figure out what YOU want to do and what you can afford. Draw up some plans. Post them and then gather input as you noodle through what will work.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thanks for having my back, Cathan. What I'm implying is that as a amateur in the A/V field, you should hire a expert to setup your first system. Time will allow you to DIY in the future. By the time you figure out what you need to know from this forum, years will have passed you by. If you consult with experts in your local area, you'll receive the added benefit of being able to audition quality home theater components instead of reading about them. These guys in AVS have years and sometimes lifetimes of experience and the terminology used has become second nature. Just sitting around talking with a local home theater design integrator can take you to another level.

P.S. Sorry about post number three. It just didn't cross my mind that you might be a neophite. Cathan was right. Forgive me.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
If you are handy construction wise it's not that hard to build even your first home theater. You might even ask to visit some AVS forum members and check out their theaters in your area.

Quote:
Its set up now with a 50 inch dlp on one 18 foot wall with 5.1 sound.

I would like a 16.9 front projector with a 100+ inch screen. Room use is 70/30 Blue ray/HDTV (mostly sports)

I would prefer to keep orientaion the same for wiring reasons but am not sure if a roughly 13 foot viewing distance (with seats against back wall) is appropriate for 100-110 inch screen. Also I would like to move the surrounds (paradigm dipoles) to the sides as they are directly behind the couch right now. That would put them roughly 8 feet away. Is that Ok?

I'd probably change the orientation and put the 50" DLP and the projector screen ( get an electric to drop over your flat screen for movies ) on the 14' wall, so you have 18' to play with for mounting the projector.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
kron, please stick around despite this poor showing of our forum.

Like I said, post up a plan and maybe even a couple of your ideas. Spend lots of time reading and reading and reading. I'm confident you will get some good direction from all the good folks here.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Obviously the apology was insufficient, or I wouldn't be taken for a walk....But since the comments just keep commin', let me say this: EVERYBODY needs help from time to time, which is why the O.P. posted the question in the first place. As for the cost issue: This forum site can't operate for nothing. At some point, you have to spend some money. How many of you outside of the golden spoon in the mouth bunch have theaters that cost absolutely nothing. How many of you put together your theaters with absolutely no help........for free. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but my advice is not totally without merit.

·
Registered
280 Posts

... What I'm implying is that as a amateur in the A/V field, you should hire a expert to setup your first system. Time will allow you to DIY in the future. By the time you figure out what you need to know from this forum, years will have passed you by. QUOTE]

KRON - Welcome! And please ignore whatever was going one here...I'm not sure why you've received such a crazy response. This usually doesn't happen.

People seek aid here all the time and absolute novices pull off some amazing theatres. Just make sure that you ask for help each step of the way and don't jump before getting the feedback necessary. You absolutely do NOT need an 'expert' to set up your first system.

Get a peice of graph paper and draw out a plan of what you imagine your dream theatre looking like and we'll go from there.

One thing to keep in mind is that this forum thrives on pictures. And if you are at all handy you will end up with a great spot!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
+1 for what jdholmes and Dennis said. Get a sketch in front of the group and I think you'll be surprised at the outpouring.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Here's a quick sketch I did for you based on what you said. The items in gray are the current location, green is the proposed location and new screen.

Take a look at the first couple of posts in my build thread (see my signature for link), they should be able to give you some help.

CJ

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yes, the beginning of CJ's thread is like a DIYers textbook (including many links and references). DC Pilgrim also has a link for getting started - I'll dig it up and post it.

Good luck getting started.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
I say spin it around 14.5 wide x 18.5 is plenty to build a nice 2 row room. Rewiring is the easy part. 10' wide scope screen seating at 11' and 17' or nice row at 12.5 and chairs at 16.5....

Post you door location and any obsticales and you will get alot of ideas.

Nate

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
We'll have this thing all worked out before the OP checks back.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Really decor and all. It will just need to be built.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree with flipping it around. I understand not wanting to do more than you have to for a great room, but flipping it around would give you an awesome room for what you are looking for.

And while you are at it - yes move the surrounds to the sides and get some rears for 7.1.

As far as seating, what are you looking for? How many people will be using it?

A lot of guys here like the theatre chairs - I like my comfy couch myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts