AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finalized (I hope) the design of my new home theater. We plan to begin construction within the month. I have a problem with light control, however. There is a sliding glass door (click on my Gallery to see the layout) on one side of the room. Currently there are Levelors in front of the door which do a poor job of blocking out 100% of the afternoon sunlight. Any suggestions on how to totally block the sunlight, short of walling in the door.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AramB

·
Registered
474 Posts
USe the 100% opaque honeycomb variety blinds.... coupled with curtains to blockt the sides and tops this will remove a significant portion, if not all, of your ambient light.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Or a black-out drapery.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I considered both drapes and shades and chose another route, here's why:

Drapes - my wife hates drapes (and we have 4 cats....too much hair to deal with)

Shades - my wife LOVES shades, but so do the cats. We had some nice levelor blinds that the cats destroyed in a manner of weeks.

Here's what I did:

Short of walling the door in, I built my own sliding door, inside the glass sliding door. I cut panels out of OSB, treated them like the walls (batting, fabric, etc) and rigidly mounted one of them (in front of the glass panel that doesn't move). The other one I will hang on a closet door slider mechanism (from lowe's) from a bypass closet door kit. I'm going to add a track of some sort to the bottom, to keep the door from swinging, and a nice handle...and voila! Light control but still accessible.

Cheers,

Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.