AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have a question. Either direct answers/discussion or if the question has been addressed before, guidance to the thread would be useful.

I may be purchasing a house from a contractor who would be willing to add a home theater to the existing home prior to our closing so I can get it all under the financing umbrella. While a long time audiophile and small time HT fan, I would like to have some input, or references to suggestions on the construction for reference. If I don't buy the home I may add on to my current home a detached garage with a dedicated HT above it (I need the garage, I want the HT). I have found the acoustics 101 site just today and plan to study it intently.

Specifically, what would be the consensus optimal room dimensions for this theater. Budget is an issue but I'm interested in fuction over cosmetics, aka quality construction over decor. I'm thinking in the 25 x 35 neighborhood.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and anticipated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Speed,

Welcome! A direct answer to your question is difficult simply because with a large enough budget and given enough time, practically any size theater can work. I think it is best to start from a goals perspective:

1) How many family members?

2) Do you expect a lot of guests to attend the HT?

3) What is your budget?

4) How much can you do yourself as to offset #3?

etc, etc.

IMHO, #3 is going to dictate a lot in reference to size. All things held equal, the larger the room... the larger the screen, the more speaker coverage required, the more sound insulation, lighting, etc. etc...

Since you have the unique ability to start from a "blank canvass", what do you require and how much is your budget?

Let us know your thoughts.

Best regards,

Steve.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I'll try to answer your questions. First of all, the theater will be used probably 80% of the time as music listening , stereo and multi-channel, in that is what I do alone, usually a couple of hours a day, but the family may watch a couple of movies a weekend at most. There are four of us with the occasional slumber party of more kids. I would want to seat in usual fashion 6 people. I want the best acoustical environment, within reason. This is not intended to be a showplace so I don't mind uncovered room treatments, etc.

The budget is for construction purposes only as I have the equipment already. Although I will likely add a projector and screen in lieu of my 65" RPTV that I'm using currently but that would be in addition to this budget. Depending which scenario I go, new house versus add on, I would try to keep the total cost in the $35,000 to $50,000 range if possible. I can add the room treatments, outlets, etc but need to have the construction and finish work completely done by the contractor. Living in Mississippi, there are no installer/contractors that are aware of the concepts of theater design construction that I am aware of so I would need to keep things relatively simple.

Speeddeacon

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
For a primerely listening room, you really should not go with a very large room unless you are going to update you existing audio gear. I would stick to a room that is just above average size so you will not need more subs or this and that. Designing a listening room should follow the accostical treatment and size ration consideration. Mostly the main driving factor is the hight or the head room and then you will determine the lenght and width so proper base production can be obtain.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hello SD.

You may find my Mediaroom spreadsheet useful. Check also its ReadMe file and bibliography.

Download it from the link in my signature.

Best regards.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Speed,

The president of my company recently installed a HT that resembles most of your specs:

1) for listening purposes as a first priority

2) HT mainly for the kids

3) budget = approx. $60,000

I will dig up the details and pass your way.

Steve.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I look forward to the specs from you, Steve. I utilized the spreadsheet at guidetohometheater.com and have several dimensional possibilities that seem to be pretty flat. I'm leaning toward a 21.5 x 28.5 x 15 as a potential. This would work well as an addition to a home or over a garage, albeit a little on the tall side. I would likely use the roof as a cathedral ceiling to gain the height.

Speed

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
Quote:
I would likely use the roof as a cathedral ceiling to gain the height.
No 'dimensional' spreadsheet will provide accurate data for anything other than a rectangular room.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
where is a link to some spread sheets?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.