AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My theater has been operational for a while now, but I'm just now getting around to putting up some construction photos. The albums are loosely organized by construction phase.

http://theater.stevejenkins.com/gallery/

I hope some of the ideas in there are helpful to others building a dedicated HT!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Very impressive Steve, love the theme of the room. Congrats on a beautiful theater! One of the best I've seen.

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
238 Posts
That is probably one of the most ornate looking theaters I have ever had the privilege. I looked through the picture gallery with a grim on my face. Good for you! Lots and lots of work and vacuuming I’ll bet. Did you have plaster all over the house?

Could you give me a better shot of the lights on the top of the columns? Are they glass block? GREAT look.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Holy Cow!! Very nice. Gives us all something to shoot for!

Congratulations I bet you like watching movies there. I really like the movie reviews and the downloads section. Those are the icing on the cake for sure.

A quick question for you. How much of your direction and decisions were helped/hindered with advice you got from here?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sungen99: The lights at the top of the columns can be best seen in the completed project gallery . The 4x4 wood post goes all the way to the ceiling. The column pieces are assembled over the post (see other photos) so the top of the column is the bottom of the light box. There is reflective sheet metal (tin, I believe) on the top of the column, around the post, and on the top of where the fixture meets the ceiling. Four single ceramic bulb fixtures are inside a full column (two in a half column on the walls), and the fixtures are spray-painted silver. The glass is 4 individual sheets, while are slid into place with metal guides on bottom and top, and the metal corner pieces are hot-glued into place. The bulbs are 20W Halogena flames. There are a couple good shots of the fixture without the glass slid into place in Phase 3 .

eq_shadimar: I got LOADS of help from AVSForum. I hired a professional designer/builder (named Todd Evans ) to do the vast majority of the fabrication and construction, but this was his first theater project (he recently completed his second). He was a general contractor who did house remodels before this project, but he's also a very talented sculptor and painter (obviously). He sculpted all the architectural pieces, painted the columns, painted the sky mural, etc. He's an amazingly talended dude. Todd and I worked closely on the project (he was happy to let me get in the way when I wanted to paint, swing a hammer, install the sink, grout tile, etc) and we both learned much through the process. Much of what I learned - particularly in the electronics - was from here.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Awsome Theater!! So, how much did this project end up costing you?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marc Ye: More than my nicest car, but a lot less than it would have if I weren't an AVSForum member :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I want to sit in your theater Steve with Monte and our wives and eat Cocoa Puffs.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Posted by Marc Ye:

So, how much did this project end up costing you?

Posted by Steve:

More than my nicest car...

Posted by pcdoctor:

Is that you by the ferrari?

Posted by ebr:

Yikes!

Exceptional job, though :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hometheaterguy: If you can get Monte to come to Seattle, then you're on :)

ChadA: It's hard to get a good shot in the dark (I'm not a photographer by any means) but I'll give it a go.

pcdoctor: Yeah - that's me with the goofy mug. The screen is 66.5 inches high x 112.5 wide. The frame around it makes it look bigger, and the stage eats up some of the floor space, so the floor to ceiling look is an illusion :) BTW - I checked out your HT link in your sig. Some VERY nice touches. I especially like stuff like the Pepsi fridge, the marquee, the EXIT sign, the video game. Things like that help make the home theater experience more like the BIG theater experience, without all the big theater drawbacks . Is your lobby done yet? Let's see pics!

ebr: Yikes indeed! I've only had one dedicated home theater room in my life. Your sig link takes me to TWO HT's you've had, and both of them rock (I like the tan themed one with the wood accents the best). My hat is off - YIKES! :)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Hey Steve -

Thanks for posting the GREAT pics! I can't tell you how many times I drooled over your AVI article!

I'd like to achieve even a fraction of what you've created - it's truly beautifull, and I LOVED seeing the progress pics!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.