AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to bring up some impressions that I've encountered ever since my HT inception. First off, how many people told you that you were absolutely nuts after telling them you want a theater in your house? You explain to them what you're talking about and they look at you in disblief. It's pretty annoying. In my HT's early stage, I really didn't want people to see it. I've restored houses before and people say "Man, that's a dump", but once the see the finished product they're amazed. I would rather have the HT 3/4 finished first. Another thing, do any of you get a sense of jealousy? I have many good friends, but you can almost tell they are envious. I'am sure that alot of you have been in this situation as a good amount of you probably have HT's that make me jealous! Do you guys have any problems of people saying "No thanks" after you finished and want to have them over? They almost put a guilt trip on you that makes you not want to show it as it looks like bragging. I look at it like this, some people spend $20k on a boat for the summer, or $15k on a pair of jetskis good for 5 months out of the year, and I spend $15k that increases the value of my home AND can use year round. The myth that Home Theaters are only a "rich mans" toy is probably one of the biggest myths of HT. I dunno, just my initial impressions.

·
Registered
24,936 Posts
You are going to see this I'm afraid. I've had many friends over to my HT and many more acquaintances. Some begin cutting down the whole concept with lame reasons why this is a ridiculous extravagance. One even bilt one in their new home later! I think the part about a boat or RV etc is valid since this is the way we choose to spend our disposable income and some of our free time. This is a true story. I actually was showing a father to one of my childrens friends the HT and when the lights came up he covered his face as if he was looking at medusa! He wouldn't look at anything else. Later his wife came over just to see it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wife gets comments along the lines "Your husband cannot play with my husband anymore." My interactions are more like: "So how much did you spend on this?" I tell them roughtly how much. They turn a bit pasty and pause for a moment then ask "So when is the next party?"

It is all a matter of priorites. Only a couple of times have I been ask how much a nice solid setup would cost. ( I have to presume they are the ones whose wives complained.)

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's funny you would mention this on the eve of a conversation I had with a friend at work. He just spent big dollars to have his basement finished. I on the other hand just finished my own basement. For the last 15 months I worked on it night and day while being a husband, father and full time employee. My cost was less than 1/4 the cost of his.

When I told my friend about my theater and my equipment he had an envious look on his face. Later on during the day his sarcastic comments in the presence of others confirmed my feelings.

I guess: a new import car is O.K.

a new boat is O.K.

a new addition to your house or finish basement is O.K

But a home theater makes you a SNOB!!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I hope I don't piss anyone off.

You can't expect everyone to cheer you on and be buddy buddy with you because you have a HT. Many people don't feel that a HT or even a TV bigger than 27" is needed, That's fine. In fact my friends seem upset with me if I just say "I just built a new computer" or I need a bigger TV (I have a 20" 10 year old TV). They say that it is not important, I should spend my money on more useful things. You know what, just don't tell them about it, if they ever come over and see it, fine, if not then just don't tell them. Anything anybody tells someone can be seen as "Bragging" and people hate braggers. If you tell someone you remodeled your house it is different than saying "I built a HT with a 100" screen and $15000 speakers/sound system" etc. etc.

Let me put it this way, If your friend/co-worker came to you and said "I just bought a Porsche 911 C4, want to go for a ride?" That sounds like bragging, doesn't it? people see anything that costs money in this way, the more money it is, the more people think its "Bragging".

Another good example, in this forum I have seen numerous people say "I have $500-1000, I want a theater system, what should I get" and some of the responses are horrible "Save your money you will get crap for that" that's mean. It is a form or bragging.

Shoot I have to go, maybe I will finish this up later.

·
Registered
357 Posts
With regard to the thing about only getting crap for 500-1000 I agree with that, and I personally am certaintly glad I demoed equipment at a higher price before I decided to buy.

However I do think there is a price/performance ratio which you should aim for and then diminishing returns are a factor above that.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by a1rabbit

Another good example, in this forum I have seen numerous people say "I have $500-1000, I want a theater system, what should I get" and some of the responses are horrible "Save your money you will get crap for that" that's mean. It is a form or bragging.
Well, I think your comments that I didn't quote are just from a different financial perspective. (which is fine, but...) Most of this thread is about people spending thousands, maybe tens of thousands on an actual 'theater'. But I wanted to say something about the above.

If I was a new car salesman and somebody comes to me saying "I want a sports car for $10000," what am I supposed to say? I mean, for $10k you can get a Korean coupe, but a sports car it is not. If somebody comes here and says "I have $1k, what DVD, receiver and speaker set should I buy so I have a HT?" what is somebody supposed to say? I got my uncle to buy decent quality for the best price. He still spent $1800 on these 3 items. You CAN get 5-6 speakers, a DVD player and receiver for $500, but I would not call it a HT, or even compare it to my midrange setup. My setup is costing me around $2500 for these 3 items, although I've saved about $1k off MSRP through various means.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by a1rabbit
I hope I don't piss anyone off.

I agree with you, a1. One of the reasons that I watch this forum is because many of you sound somewhat knowledgable. That is, until you start that "you shouldn't be here if you won't spend...." I haven't spent $15k on my system, so I'm here to learn more. Thus, I think it is the responsibility of all the members to give a guiding hand to newbies.

Maybe that's one of the reasons people won't watch your systems. They're afraid you'll try to "sell" them on something they don't want to afford.

Another reason is that not everyone likes to watch movies at home. I don't understand that, but, then again, I'm here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Most of my close friends all enjoy watching movies and between us we probably have around 1000 or so movies. So with them having a HT is no big deal.

But as for other people, I generally explain it as "these are my toys" :) They may think it's a little over the top. But when they see I just really like movies and get excited when they say they just a bought dvd player, tv, etc... they start to understand that I have a HT because it's something I enjoy doing, not to show off.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've noticed that the wives of my friends usually drop their jaws and are most impressed and my male friends tend to keep their reactions very low-keyed only to spout off their real reaction to their wives later. It is almost as if they don't want me to see them enjoy it as much as I do. I think it's possibly a pride thing. I'm not showing them this to rub their nose in it as much as I want them to get as much enjoyment out of it as me. My brother-in-law barely said a word and looked unimpressed, but his wife later commented "You know that the next house we buy has to have a basement? He absolutely loved it" . I just smiled :)

Dan

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
What a drag it must be to get that kind of reaction! I guess I'm lucky in that I can't recall it happening to me (yet). Any friends I've had over have thought it was the coolest thing ever, and want to know when they can come again. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I suspect that people with nothing bad to report aren't posting in this thread. I don't know.

- Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is weird timing. I had my first movie night with friends Saturday night. We watched Mummy Returns and TPM.

One of the guys who came kind of told me at some point in the last year and half that I'll never realy enjoy it and that it will never be as good as going to the theater (of course, he spends too much $$ going to the movies)

At the end of the first movie we had some chili (homemade by me and very yummy!) and he said that this was 10 times better than the theater; you can pause and rewind, plus you can have a beer too!

It was unanimously voted that I WILL have the SuperBowl at my house :cool:

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
Home Theaters are awesome. I'm getting ready to get mine started. It'll be a beaut.

Quote:
and I spend $15k that increases the value of my home AND can use year round.

It probably will interest some perspective buyers but I am not convinced it adds value to the home - a kithcen or new master suite does that.

My theater will be about 650 SQFT. I'm sure there will be those that would rather have that 1st floor prime realestate for something else.

Jeff

·
Registered
277 Posts
One approach that really helps me is to not take the position that I am the expert on theater now that I have one.

Case in point. A friend of mine and I went to the movies the other day. I haven't gone to the theater in over a year, and I went just to spend time with him.

Just before we got there, he started saying stuff like I probably wouldn't like the theater because it is not as nice as mine at home, you know stuff like that. I just told him I like movies too, and I am not an expert and I go for the fun of it.

People like to peg you. And if you have a really nice home theater, then they start pegging you into something that is in their minds. I really don't want to be an expert, I just want to have fun and a good time.

After a while, once the intimidation factor wears off, then they feel comfortable with it.

There is an old Russian proverb, "The nail that sticks up gets hammered down." probably applies.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiky

If somebody comes here and says "I have $1k, what DVD, receiver and speaker set should I buy so I have a HT?" what is somebody supposed to say?

I never said HT, Maybe you and I have different ideas of what that is. I said "Theater system". To me a HT is a dedicated room (or just about dedicated), at least a RPTV preferably a FP setup. And some very good equipment. To me a "Theater system" is anything that the owner is happy with, or can afford, at least pro logic, to have surround sound. There is nothing wrong with someone having a $600 Sony system with the five little speakers and a built in DVD player and surround decoder. It is in fact a theater system (Home theater in a box) but it is far from a HT.

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiky

Well, I think your comments that I didn't quote are just from a different financial perspective. (which is fine, but...) Most of this thread is about people spending thousands, maybe tens of thousands on an actual 'theater'. But I wanted to say something about the above.
I think that this part. "(which is fine, but...)" But what? Kind of sounds like bragging? Maybe I am misinterpreting it? How is it from a different financial perspective? Okay, I can see if they are just upset that they DON'T have the money to buy it themselves, but they do. So it is not a money issue. It sounds like you think that Money = HT (or expensive items), No Money = Jealousy, (or junk components). Sounds like a stereo type.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I don't mean to offend you.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
There is an old Russian proverb, "The nail that sticks up gets hammered down." probably applies.
Yea, my gramma used to say "Brag is a good dog, but, let someone else own him".

Mark Haskins

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
This is certainly an interesting thread.

I like to share my HT plans and thoughts with others as I get ready to build my HT. I am often disappointed at the reaction I get from casual friends.

I think A1Rabbit hit it squarely on the nose. We think we are sharing something we are very proud of, and excited about. Some folks think we are bragging about how much money we have to spend.

I would never walk around saying "I have a new Lexus", but yet, apparently some people think me saying "I'm building a theater in my basement" is the same thing, or worse.

I'll rethink when and who I tell about this in the future.

My close friends are excited out of their minds about this whole thing, sometimes more than I am !!!

-- Cain

·
Registered
639 Posts
My theater has been in for about 8 months now and we really enjoy it. My son (17 years old) used to go out with his friends/dates every week-end to the movies, now they spend that time at my house watching movies. All the parents are thrilled about this since we know where they are and who they are with. The kids like it since they can pause the movie for bathroom breaks and the popcoren is *much* better; everyone wins.

All of my friends who have seen a movie in it can't wait to come back again; they keep asking me if I will help them build one in their house! (and how much I spent!)

One of these days I am going to have to invite some folks over, crank up the grill and have 'dinner & a movie' parties.

We just had the house appraised and I told the appraiser that the theater (and all of the equipment) would stay with the house. The report came back and basically said that the theater was an 'over-improvment' and that it did not significantly add to the value of the home; bottom line, I wouldn't be able to get my money out of it if I sold it right now. However, I didn't build the theater to increase the value of my house; I built it for my family's enjoyment. I think it is one of those things that could make/break a decision to buy it vs some other house in the neighborhood...hint: make it easy to use/operate. Toss the 8 remotes and do something like a Pronto. I programmed a Crestron touchpad to control my theater and you can get the whole thing running with 3 button presses. This alone makes it more accepting for others to use. When I have friends over I give them the touchpad and tell them "here, you drive"; they are amazed on how easy it is to control. I believe that is one of the most important factors on getting a theater to be an accepted part of the house.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Home theater is such a personal hobby and it's hard to justify it to friends or family especially if you have a dedicated room made up to look like a theater. I would love to do one myself and in couple of years I will. I ignore those who think the current setup is overkill to watch what they call a damn video. After a while you have to ignore it and do what you think it's best. I sold my brother in law who was at first against the whole thing and now all he needs is a good DVD player and he's set with a pretty good setup. I take pride in converting those. I know it's not my job but if you ask, you're going to get my opinion on why I think it's a good idea.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
One thing I noticed after inviting friends into my home theater was that I became an instant theater consultant.

Four of my friends/family are now building home theaters and looking for advice. Not a bad business to be in...if I was getting paid. :)

It's actually fun to go through the experience all over again.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.