AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post - lots of lurking.

We moved to a new house, and this is the dedicated media room built with the house (we did not design the house). It is upstairs, has spray foam insulation on all 6 sides, and seems to isolate the noise pretty well (yea).

I'm having trouble with the layout. Here's two ideas based on a lot of reading here. My sketchup skills are terrible - this took me way too long to do.

The room is 21' 3" deep, 18' 3" wide, with a 9' ceiling (3500 ft^3). It already has sconce lighting on the sides, so no rotating 90 deg. It is already prewired with inputs at the end away from the door, and wiring for 5.1 in the walls (though the rears have not been "punched" through. The door on the jog is the entry (wider - solid core), and the other door is attic access (easy to access 3 walls and ceiling from attic for additional wiring duties).

What I have: 3 NHT superzeros, 2 superzero xu's, Energy exl-8, Old Denon 1800AVR.

The room is large enough, it would be a shame not to have 2 rows of seating. First thought was this:

Likes: Access to seating as you enter the room. Can place the fronts wide enough to get the 22-30 deg front field. Can put screen at any height (looking at 26" from floor to bottom of viewable portion). Not blocking the air return vent that's on the back wall near the entry door. Can still access the attic door (we store a lot out there). The seating as listed works around a HUGE bass null, which is right in between the front and second row of seating. I swear I thought my sub wasn't working right - I wanted to place the rear seating right in the middle of where the null is. Hah. I adjusted the seating to what seems to my ears running frequency sweeps to be the smoothest starting locations.

Dislikes: The entry is a bit pinched at the back row of seating, to keep 4 rear seats. I do not own seating yet, just running an idea of what I would eventually like (or perhaps sectionals). Another dislike - seating has to be off center relative to the center of the front wall to accomodate the bump out with the entry door. Do I make up for it in the surround settings? Is there a better option and still maintain two rows of seating? Do I scratch one seat in the rear row and add it in on the front? Also, no ability to put corner rear bass traps (the best location?), only fronts. Or do I:

Version 2 - what if we flip the room around:

Likes: Seating is less off center from screen (that's a 120" diag screen - my likely size). Easier entry and probably better flow through room. Like the location of the media cabinet (can be done in v1 as well). Bass traps easily located in corners.

Dislikes: Can just BARELY fit the screen and fronts and clear the doors (they both open in - represented by the quarter circles on the floor). The screen has to be higher up to clear the air return vent (32" at the bottom of the viewable section - seems high to me). Perhaps I can push it out from the wall a couple of inches and overlap the vent a touch? Front speakers too close together - back row is only 16 deg off center. Can't really change to full towers - block vent and perhaps interfere with door. Still have seating off center in the room, and it's a bit off center on the screen.

Perhaps I can mount the speakers out further if I have slim on-walls or in walls - though I would rather not spring for good in-walls as I'm not made of money.

In any case, I don't know enough to look at sticking with 5.1 vs 7.1 (the war), but it seems at least with v1 and the door placement, I would either have to have the rears REALLY high, or place them properly for the 1st row, and add 6 and 7 to help fleash out the rears for the rear row. Seems like this is a good choice for 2 rows of seating. Would you do the same for v2, or just go 5.1? For 7.1, I could upgrade the superzeros at L/C/R, and take 2 of them to press into surround service, or ebay 2 more zeros.

I have many other questions regarding my gear, but I'll take that to other forums.

What are your thoughts on those two layouts, and what else should I consider in a modest build of this room? I'm very open to ideas, as I have not purchased additional equipment or furniture yet.

Thanks in advance, and your patience with my chaotic train of thought,

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
You have a great space to work with. What is on the other side of the entry door? I have a few ideas, but they are based on the answer to what is on the other side...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the other side of the entry door is the landing for the upstairs. You go out the door, hang an immediate left, and go down the stairs. Across the landing is a good size game room with wet bar area.

Just so I'm clear, you come up the stairs, hit a small landing, and to your right is the theater room, and left is the game room (mirror image, but a bit deeper).

In the game room, I plan on having a small (42 ish) LCD in there that can be slaved off the theater, so that it has the ability to show what's playing there. That way for "fight night", you can step out for a snack and drink and come back just in time for the next bout.

C.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm trying to figure out how to structure the furniture, speakers, and audio equipment into this space, to best have flow, good seating with proper audio and video imaging, room acoustic treatments, etc. I do not plan on altering existing walls. Retrofitting cables to any part of the room should not be a problem as the accessibility around the room (except on the stairs side), is quite good.

This is the entire space, for the theater. I'll see if I can throw together a drawing of the whole upstairs to give you an idea of dimensions, but the theater needs to remain contained to this space.

Best,

C.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
OK, I think I have it. If you are standing in the theater (of your first option) and looking at the screen, the stairway is on the opposite side of the right hand wall, is that right?

If so, you should be able to easily move the entry door 90 degrees (to where the rack is in the second option) so that when you enter you are looking at the screen. Then you can have a bigger riser, not worry about the doorway bumping into the riser/seats, not move around the rear row to get into the theater, etc...

From the look of the drawing, there isn't enough room as is, so you need to move the wall that currently has the door a bit, but that is pretty straightforward. I don't think you need to have your seating off center. Can you post a top view floorplan with dimensions?

You should be able to also put your rack in the attic walls. Speaking of the attic, I'd suggest the door to swing into the attic versus swinging into the theater.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum /forum/post/16997802

Can you post a drawing of the rest of the basement? It's hard to tell where options are without understanding the entire space.

CJ

Here's a rough drawing of the rest of the upstairs, to get you a better idea.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP /forum/post/16997841

OK, I think I have it. If you are standing in the theater (of your first option) and looking at the screen, the stairway is on the opposite side of the right hand wall, is that right?

If so, you should be able to easily move the entry door 90 degrees (to where the rack is in the second option) so that when you enter you are looking at the screen. Then you can have a bigger riser, not worry about the doorway bumping into the riser/seats, not move around the rear row to get into the theater, etc...

From the look of the drawing, there isn't enough room as is, so you need to move the wall that currently has the door a bit, but that is pretty straightforward. I don't think you need to have your seating off center. Can you post a top view floorplan with dimensions?

You should be able to also put your rack in the attic walls. Speaking of the attic, I'd suggest the door to swing into the attic versus swinging into the theater.

I'll consider the door idea, but that would require extending the wall in front of the rack (too short for a door right now), as well as walling off the existing door. I'm not ruling it out, but I was trying to avoiding mucking with the walls. The rack I may do - it would be so clean, and I'm quite inspired by the "show me your rack" thread.

Here's the dimensioned room.

Best,

Christopher

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I would reframe the landing by the stairs so that the bump out into the theater isn't so large. Is there a step down from the two ajoining spaces to that top stairs landing?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, there is a step down to the landing, which I'm pretty sure is why the bump-out exists. Right now there is an 18-20" tread outside the door before the drop down to the landing (not to scale in the above drawing). I'm not sure what code is for how large that needs to be. That short wall on the right of the bumpout (the 32" wall) contains electric (light switch for stair lighting)

On a related note, the reason the door to the attic opens inward is that it's an immediate drop 6" to the attic level.

Best,

C.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Is seating for 7 your goal? If so, I think your first orientation looks good, but you could consider flipping the seating. Put the row of three on a riser at the back and the row of four in front. You would have plenty of clearance at the entrance and you could still use the bump out for your eq rack.

Take a look at strange brew's seating/riser work here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=735097

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmCutter /forum/post/16998751

If construction is an option, I'd make the room square and use a pocket door to/from the stairs.

Just be aware that pocket doors can rattle and are a pain to sound proof.

·
Registered
821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP /forum/post/16999786

Here is what I was thinking...

The wall work is pretty easy, unless that is somehow a load bearing wall...

That is going to make a hell of a u turn to get couches and building materials in there...

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgolko /forum/post/17000056

That is going to make a hell of a u turn to get couches and building materials in there...

Agreed, I would actually fully frame that out as the close to last part of the process... since it is a prety small job it can be done with minimal mess and clean up. I'd only finish framing and drywalling that once the rest of the room is essentially done, materials and seating are inside, etc...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all your input so far! I would rather not do framing if I don't have to, but reworking the electrical is not beyond what I envision, as I'll at the very least have to add power for the projector in the ceiling.

I would like to keep soundproofing for the room, as the master is at the bottom of the stairs, and I would lose a lot of sound to the downstairs with just a curtain.

So far, I like the idea best of rotating the room 90 degrees and having the seating tucked on the short wall next to the bump out, having the screen on the same wall as the attic door / opposite the entry door. It makes sense for flow, and being the longer wall, there's room for more seating and still have it centered on the screen. I'll update the thread with a new sketchup pic shortly. Where/what would then be the best location for surround speakers, as the rear seating would now be directly on the wall?

Best,

C.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerdic /forum/post/17020048

Thanks for all your input so far! I would rather not do framing if I don't have to, but reworking the electrical is not beyond what I envision, as I'll at the very least have to add power for the projector in the ceiling.

I would like to keep soundproofing for the room, as the master is at the bottom of the stairs, and I would lose a lot of sound to the downstairs with just a curtain.

So far, I like the idea best of rotating the room 90 degrees and having the seating tucked on the short wall next to the bump out, having the screen on the same wall as the attic door / opposite the entry door. It makes sense for flow, and being the longer wall, there's room for more seating and still have it centered on the screen. I'll update the thread with a new sketchup pic shortly. Where/what would then be the best location for surround speakers, as the rear seating would now be directly on the wall?

Best,

C.

When you flip the room consider making a hallway connecting the two doors and add a door leading into the theater between the screen and chairs. This allows flow between the doors without interrupting the movie.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts