AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i would like to know what dimmer can i purchase to use with my MX900, rf remote made by universalremotes. my lighting at this time consists of 7 halogen fixtures.If there would be a better remote i should use or a combo i should use for this purpose please let me know.. I saw a gentleman on youtube who has his lights dim ,while maintaining backlighting,while the movie is playing, and when he presses pause on his remote the lights brighten up and when he presses play, they dim out again, "cool" that's what i am looking for to work for me...can someone help thanks....peace"

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I would use the URC dimmers. They are made by Lutron and speaking native RF with URC remotes.

·
Registered
664 Posts
^^ +1 Definitely use the URC dimmers with the MX-900 unless you have multiple zones and are using an MSC-400. At that point you may want to look at the Lutron Ra2 systems. Dimmers cost the same (~$160 each) but you have to buy a $500 controller with the RA2 system.

·
Registered
645 Posts
You don't have to be using the MSC400 to use RA2, there is an IR input as well.

The big differentiator is whether or not you want control from something other than the handheld remote.

jcmitch

·
Registered
351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm /forum/post/0

You don't have to be using the MSC400 to use RA2, there is an IR input as well.

The big differentiator is whether or not you want control from something other than the handheld remote.

jcmitch

Does that mean that the ir input on the Ra2 can receive commands from a URC RF piece other than an MSC400?

·
Registered
255 Posts
There is no IR input to control a Ra2 system, just an IR receiver build into the keypads which can control that particular keypad, with the appropriate faceplate.

Control of a Ra2 system is achieved via serial or IP communication.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I have used a discrete LOS video sensor (loss of signal) to trigger a Lutron 6 channel dimmer pack with staggered control outputs so the room lights lower and raise back to front so the eyes can easily adjust to the light levels.

The master PLAY button also triggers the room drapes to close, and the Austrian drapes over the screen to open and the LOS system closes them.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/19606991

with staggered control outputs so the room lights lower and raise back to front so the eyes can easily adjust to the light levels.

I do this "staggered" thing too! It's really nice... very gentle on the eyes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
So has anyone successfully programmed their URC MX900 to control their dimmer? I have had a MX900 for a couple years now and recently bought a Lutron URC Dimmer, MRFA-600M-URC-WH and for some reason I cannot get the dimmer to accept the MX900s lighting address. Anyone had a similar issue?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts