AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to loading some photos in the gallery section of this forum. The theater is roughly 14 x 22 with 9' ceiling. PJ is a Dwin HD700 with Transcanner 2. Audio is Lexicon MC-12 with a mix of amps (Bryston 4BST mains), Dynaudio custom speakers and JBL custom subs. The platform LFE sub turned out to work quite well.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions...

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...at=500&thumb=1

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Very nice and thanks for posting your pictures. To many of the theaters on this site are very antiseptic looking in my opinion-nothing but plain fabric walls. I like the way you built shelfs in between what appear to be the typical wall columns. You just gave me some ideas on how to make my room more "family friendly." I may or may not borrow some things but I definitely like the fact that your design makes a very functional, wife friendly, multi-purpose room.

Brian

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
P.S, I just showed your photos to my wife, btw, and she gave a big thumbs up! I was going to do a large platform all the way across the back of my room and now she says why dont I do a small one like yours! Oy. :rolleyes:

Also, I'd love some construction photos if you got 'em. Are those acoustical panels at the front of the room?

Brian

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian,

Thanks and I'm glad you got some ideas. I was actually going to build a listening room, but my wife convinced me to go the theater route. The tradeoff for "taking over" the office was that I had to find a place for the books, computer, and misc stuff that was there. Since we were already having the room enlarged, I added a walk-in closet that provides extra storage and gives handy access to the back of the equipment rack. I took a handful of construction photos... I'll try to find and post them.

And yes, the plum-colored panels are acoustic treatment from Auralex. Their prices are more reasonable than competitors (Sonex, etc) and they offer a free modeling/consultation service. The columns are hollow and partially cloth-covered; the front ones have additional acoustic treatment while the rear ones house side speakers.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Very elegant and functional set up.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Very nice.. I like it.. what equipment are you using?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Great room, can you please provide more information on the Auralex accoustic panels they certainlylook very good!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Xris:

Equipment is as follows:

PJ: Dwin HD700

Screen: Draper Premier motorized 52x92

Scaler: Dwin TranScannerII

DVD/SACD: Sony 9000ES

Prepro: Lexicon MC-12

Main amp: Bryston 4BST

Center/ platform sub amp: Metron A4000

Rear amp: Sumo Andromeda

Side amp: Sumo Andromeda

Main sub amp: Adcom 555

Mains: custom Dynaudio Myrage (resized and modified to sealed alignment)

Center: custom Dynaudio Twynn (resized to fit under screen)

Sides: custom Dynaudio Xennon 3/100 (resized to fit in columns)

Rears: custom Dynaudio Xennon 3/75 (resized to fit in soffit)

Front sub: custom JBL (2235H)

Platform sub: custom JBL (2245H)

Custom active filters and boost networks for subs

sheggsl:

contact www.auralex.com. I used primarily their 2" wedge studiofoam. The main goal was to eliminate "first reflections" to improve imaging.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Very, very nice room, I especially like the platform sub :)

How long did your project take to complete??

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mchil,

The contractors took about three months to rough the room in (concrete, block, framing, roofing). I took me another three months to do windows and doors, electrical, HVAC, insulation, lighting, drywall, paint, and trim. After I had the carpet laid, it still took another four months for "details". I custom-made the cabinets, equipment rack, bookshelves, computer desk, CD/DVD rack, center channel and surround speakers, platform sub, closet cabinets/shelves, wall sconces, etc.

By the way, your "media room" is coming along nicely. Things really take shape once drywall is up. It should be an elegant room to relax in with the sectional sofa and fireplace. I love the bar/wetbar idea. I thought about doing this, but the layout just didn't work and we already had one wet bar area in another part of the house.

And did I miss something or was your equipment list missing a pre-pro?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the compliments, Dave. It is a huge improvement now that the drywall is up and taped. The bar work will start next week, can't wait for that to get finished, Guinness on tap :) sorry I was daydreaming..

I haven't bought the pre/pro yet just due to the fact that the basement isn't finished yet, I'm kind of glad, Sunfire keeps upgrading their Theater Grand Pre/Pro, they're up to III now. Probably will be up to V by the time my room is done it they keep the current pace!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.