AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took some pictures of the new theater. There are not of very good quality. COlors are not very accurate either , but it gives the general idea. I would like to thnak AVS forum, where I learnt a lot and was able to design and build the theater in my new home. The walls are much darker olive color than what they seem in the pictures. Ceiling is pure black with fiber optic strands terminated at different lengths from the ceiling giving a 3D starfield effect in dark, and they are much smaller and lighter than what came out in the picture ( I think because of prolonged exposure time in the dark with some obvious motion of the hand)

Size 27' deep, 20'2" wide and 12' high at the deepest point- height of course varied with risers etc.

The gear:

ADA machIV Balanced

Sim2 Lumis HOST

ISCOIIIL with cineslide

Oppo 93

Oppo 980H and Algolith Mosquito HDMI for regular DVD's

Still configuring Mac Mini and will use with Wavelink USB to SPDIF converter fed into ADA for music server to be controlled by IPAD app

Screen - 170" wide Screen excellence AT screen - 2.37:1( with 4K fabric ) bought from Chris at Seymour AV- absolutely astonishing fabric- no one has been able to guess it is AT screen even after touching the fabric and seeing from 1' away.

Dish

I have custom built isolation transformer with new reference ground generated with 24 breaker panel - (240Volts , 100 amps, directly fed from city ) for theater equipment room. I got it done from Art Klems at Ground One- best person in US or probably whole world to get the pure and unlimited power designed I think.

- two DTS 10 subs powered by two QSC 4050 's ( bridged mono for each sub), two HSU ULS 15's in rear back corners not hooked up yet and Veldyne SMS1 to do initial sweeps and then will use ADA parametric equalizers for subwoofer to get a desired subwoofer response and take out SMS1 from the chain

- Seaton Catalysts 12c's for LCR ( i have 2 feet of dead space behind the entire front wall where the back of the LCR speakers are accessible for wiring or any service work etc) which is acoustically sealed and the LCR's are framed in the wall (all in vertically oriented behind the screen) so there baffle is flush with front wall and acoustically sealed from the rear dead space and the screen mounted on the front wall as shown . I have access to dead space through a small door and that space vents into equipment room for heat dissipation .

- Surrounds and Backs are Seaton catalysts 8c's framed in the columns with custom made grills .

- I currently have control 4 , but am configuring irule for my theater- see my post on irule thread here on 20K forum for the pictures - If any one needs ADA specific irule buttons that I have created please let me know

- I have covered DTS 10's with Black velvet and they are standing on each side of the screen on the stage , You cant even see them with lights off in the theater.

- I made base traps for front corners with OC 703's - 8" thick and 10 feet high again covered in black fabric - almost invisible on the stage. Rest of the acoustic panels are 2 in thick OC 703 , mounted 2" away from the wall surface- faux painted as seen in the pics.

- Cables- except for perfect path HDMI cables , pretty musch everything else is balanced cable- I bought 650 ft roll of Mogami star quad balanced cable and Neutrik connectors and terminated the cables to desired length and soldered myself. All the conduits from equipment room were installed during the framing stage of the house. There are conduits going in all speaker locations to run balanced cables from ADA to each speaker and also in 4 subwoofer locations and in projector area. There are 12 deidcated 20 amp circuits emanating from the Ground One Isolation transformer going to different locations - prettyy musch wherever the powered mointors and subwoofers are and the equipment room

- Equipment room is on lft front corner of the theater ( on left of stage ) with sliding wood backed acoustic panel to insert DVD's and access front panels, with main door from outside the theater which holds the theaetr gear and whole house automation , distribution gear , networking and routers/switches etc.

- The entry door to the theater is covered by acoustic panel ( far right corner in the last picture) from inside so while seated in the theater, you cant really see the door and theater looks more uniform.

I heard the catalysts without the screen and with the screen installed , I couldnt tell any difference in sound quality with this tightly weaved screen , in case anyone is considering AT screen.

I would like to thank Chris at Seymour AV, Mark at Seaton sound, Richard at ADA, for their support and excellent service and communication, and of course all the AVS forum members who contribute here.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Looks great. I love the color choices.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow! This is some amazing home theater! Wow!

I especially like the skies.

At some point I would like to build theater just like this.

Did you build it all by yourself, or you had to hire someone?

I wonder how much it would cost to build, so I can start saving $$$.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Congrats on a great room Mani. I will follow the others by saying I love the colors and design. The room looks very inviting and comfortable. Nice equipment as well. I think you are all set for a while!

Enjoy.

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
Beauty .. makes me want to remodel mine ..

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
This is a fantastic Theater - I love the fact that it is aesthetically beautiful but still the color scheme is right for video.

The screen size is 170 Inch - This is awesome.

And also, love the fact that ceiling height is 12 feet at its apex...

The projector Lumis Host is perfect to fire up this screen..

My favorite theater on AVS...

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
That is a very grand theater but not overdone! Congrats indeed. When you say 170 inches, do you mean diagonal or width?

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Very nice, warm, simple and inviting....beautiful. I really like the stealth entrance as well. Congrats

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm
That is a very grand theater but not overdone! Congrats indeed. When you say 170 inches, do you mean diagonal or width?
170" wide

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladyxa
Wow! This is some amazing home theater! Wow!

I especially like the skies.

At some point I would like to build theater just like this.

Did you build it all by yourself, or you had to hire someone?

I wonder how much it would cost to build, so I can start saving $$$.
Well the cost can be broken down into build and the electronics. The construction cost was not much as I designed the theater and all the details myself. As the house was being built from scratch on a n empty lot, to get the theater structure turned out to be very economical. I met with the framer and gave him my drawings to an inch. Since the cost of construction already included framing a room in this space to add few columns and risers etc cost me less than $2000 . This is in a basement , so 3 walls are 10" thick re- enforced concrete with 2x4 framig for dry wall. The wall that is adjacent to game room- is double 2x4 framed with inch air gap between two 2x4 framed walls. Ceiling is under the kitchen and family room and has bouble layer of quite rock with green glue and fiber glasss insulation packed in the trusses. to do all that I think I spent less than 3-4 K. paint upgraded with builder probably another $500 or so.

Here are some of my initial sketches. The front wall has picture frame sort of framing where the wall within the screen area indents in so i can have 5-10% toe in for Left and right speakers even though they are baffle mounted in the front wall. but wall thats visibile with screen on is completely flat.

The gear of course costs $$$.

Acoustic panel on stage and front wall and behind the screen I made myself , as they were going to be all black and not visible with lights off. The other panel were custom made and faux painted, so were more expensive.

I did hire installer/dealer from whom I bought SIm2 and ADA but for limited work only - like installing those gears and cineslide and malking the projector box and custom panels, so the whole cost after taking out gear price was not much

theater22.pdf 131.9560546875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma
This is a fantastic Theater - I love the fact that it is aesthetically beautiful but still the color scheme is right for video.

The screen size is 170 Inch - This is awesome.

And also, love the fact that ceiling height is 12 feet at its apex...

The projector Lumis Host is perfect to fire up this screen..

My favorite theater on AVS...
Thanks Ash

I am very happy with results so far

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger
Congrats on a great room Mani. I will follow the others by saying I love the colors and design. The room looks very inviting and comfortable. Nice equipment as well. I think you are all set for a while!

Enjoy.
I hope so , but once you are addicted to AVSforum , you are never set for a while....I guess most people here know what I mean...

If y ou look at the projector box, it is three tier and can hold three projectors for any future expansions. It can easily hold older double stack lumis 3d along with the lumis host I have and another projector....I ran enough Cat6 , 4 conductor wires and dedicated 20 amp circuits and 2 HDMI 1.4 wires so if i need to add 3d PJ , I can just ddrop it in the box at any time. The fronts panels on the box are velcro mounted..

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took couple of more pics , probably with less hand shake..

Again the pics turn out to be with very yellowish/green hue because of the lighting..but the colors of walls and carpet are actually very dull olive green, so that with lights turned off ,its pitch black

Mani

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike Hamilton was here today to callibrate the projector. Seems like he knew most of the people on the forum including Alan, Steve, David. Had good few hrs with him and image looks better.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Magnificent in every possible way. A new benchmark for AVS. Thx for sharing and ENJOY.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts