AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my theater is complete and more or less functioning, I've updated my website to its final form and included many pictures of construction along the way. I thought these might prove helpful to those of you still in the process. The website link is in my signature line.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Damn, that's looking nice, I saw your site a couple months ago and was looking interesting then, but wow it looks great all finished up!

I just wish I had the space and the spank to pull off that nice of a theatre! Good job!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I've seen metroplexes that are smaller. :)Brian

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Love it, love it!

Pam

·
Registered
976 Posts
holy wow! whats the diag on that screen? that theater looks awesome..

CHris

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
WOW!!!!!!! I'm going through Cinema envy.

How big is that puppy?? What a place!

Ted

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the enthusiastic comments.

Patrick, Ted: The room started out at two story and 25' x 35'. Dennis lowered the ceiling so that maximum height is now a little over 13'. This provided the capability for a star ceiling.

Chris: Screen size is in the "Equipment" section of my site. I'll let you do the arithmetic.

ebr: The little squares are projection windows for my six slide projectors. I also have the associated programming equipment that operates these projectors automatically and provides accompanying sound.

Art: You're always welcome for a visit. (I have this gap between my front teeth..... :D ) However, right now my projector is sitting on the floor awaiting a solution to a mounting/cooling difficulty. Like all the other problems encountered along the way, this one will be fixed shortly. I think it's safe to say, though, that you will prefer the PQ of your stacked CRT's, since I've pushed the envelope in terms of system performance of the components I have for the sake of a large image. Did someone say "the Sony projector?"

·
Registered
484 Posts
Joe, Wow, congratulations on an incredible home theater! I remember seeing your progress and construction photos not too long ago, but I couldn't forsee how great the result would be - it is truly larger than many of the good professional theaters out there.

I also enjoyed the history section of your website, which explains how such a unique room became available. Congrats, and enjoy your movies!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Joe----

I have enjoyed following your progress over the past few months. You took on a monumental task and pulled it off beautifully!

If I ever get around to visit my sister who lives in New York I would love to swing by for a peek at your awesome theater. :)

Congrats on a job well done!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Awesome!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The rest of the house is a nondescript ranch, but it sits on a peninsula of land (a glacial moraine) which drops precipitously on three sides about 75-100 feet. Must have made digging the hole for this room very interesting. It's kinda like living in a tree house.

You can see grade level in the "before" panorama on my website; it's at the top of the black ladder attached to the block wall. So this basement is about 1 1/2 stories below grade.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Joe-

Your theater turned out great.

What is the model of your Middle Atlantic rack? I'm trying to figure out which one to get.

Kirk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Amazing. Simply amazing. Congrats on a fine theater!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kirk,

The rack is a Middle Atlantic MRK-4026 which I got because of the available caster base. Can't tell you how many times I've rolled that rack in and out of its position. I looked at the alternatives, and this seemed to make the most sense for my situation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.