AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

Here's my current HT room design. Tell me where I've gone wrong. What you like, and what you don't like.

Room is in basement. Double stud walls with DD/GG. Clips and Hat channel for ceiling.

Dimensions: 17'6"L x 14'3"W x 6'8"H
(these are the dimensions of the finished room as proposed)

Screen: 2.35 115" DIY

Seating: 1st row 12'6" (to eyes) 2nd row 17' (riser plan is 8" high at feet, 10" high at seats)

Attachment 191594

Attachment 191595

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
999 Posts
You will generally find that putting the rear seats up against the back wall is a bad thing. You might want to move the front row forward a foot or so, then move the rear seats forward away from the wall as much as possible.

Also, I'm not sure 10" is enough riser height, but it depends on how high up the screen is mounted off of the floor. You might want to use the riser height calculator to make sure. It's available on a sticky at the top of this forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that putting the back row against the wall is not the best location. However after using all the calculators, and suggested seating distances etc. that I could find, the front row is placed optimally for the screen size and room dimensions. I also have heard that these recommendations are not what everyone finds ideal. I hope to test this soon by just throwing some movies on a wall and testing seating distances... If I find I can sit closer than this recommended distance from the front row, then I will move both rows forward.

The riser height was calculated with the tool. I might consider a little higher but I'm concerned about ceiling height also.

Thanks for the thoughts!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Actually, a 115" 2.35:1 screen isn't all that large. I have a 16:9 screen at 110" and I'm sitting 10'8" away from it and it's not too large at all. I could easily go with a 120" 2.35:1 at my seating distance.

My screen is 27" off the floor and only 2" from the ceiling. I treated the ceiling in front of the screen with Triple Black Velvet and I get zero reflections off of it. I have a 15" riser and it's MAYBE 1-2" too high, but I'm not sweating it.

You can see the details of what I did in my build thread. You can also see that the screen size doesn't appear to be too large. I would really consider moving your seating rows forward. Every inch of extra space away from the back wall is worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts