AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm in the process of having to redo my theater (in a different room) and have a question about the layout. I am trying to figure out which wall would be better for the screen: the side with the bump out, or the opposite wall.

If I got with the bump out wall I'm worried about the acoustical issues that I might have with the area in the bump out. If I go with the opposite wall I think I'd have an issue with mounting my surround speakers I'm using Aperion in walls and, while I could adjust for distance delay, if I mounted the side surround on the wall in the bump out, I would think I'd end up having some acoustical issues.

Let me know if I'm not being clear enough, or if further information is needed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
What not just frame of the "bump out"? Wall it off. You could also put your equipment in there too.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,115 Posts
Had a bump out in my Summer Fun Project, used it for a dead vent, an equpment rack, a place to park an additional subwoofer and some cabinets. Basically turned the room into a rectangle but didn't waste the space, Click the project for pictures.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not opposed to framing it in, but I'm apprehensive about trying to add a door if I do that. I'm thinking it'll eat I to my floor space way too much.

Thanks Big. I'll have a look at the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30,678 Posts
Even in this day and age of surround sound, the front soundstage remains critical: it's where your attention will be focused, whether watching a movie or listening to music.

With that in mind, I would put the screen on the east (11'8") wall and place the seating forward of the bump out (about 5' from the back wall). This way you have uninterrupted side side walls up to the listening position (helpful for symmetry) AND irregularities of the room end up behind the listeners (where our human hearing is not as good).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the advice so far everyone

Ok, back from life distractions and onto theater building (project to start the last week in May). I've spoken to John at the soundproofing company and have received my first shipment of IB-2 clips and IB-3 brackets. I plan on ordering my green glue as additional funds permit.

The build will be done by myself and my father in law. The only thing we are not doing is the mudding, taping and finishing of the drywall. I did that once, with a friend who was finishing his garage. Once was enough for me.

I've taken a look at BIGs bump out build (Summer fun project) and it looks like that is the direction I'm going to go. I'd like to build a door for the bump out that would be hidden and look just like a wall (I've seen some pretty cool examples here). I am going with the screen mounted on the east (11' 8") wall to focus on the front sound stage, as sdurani suggested.

My question now is how to proceed with surrounds. I was running a 5.1 setup before and was thinking of pushing it to a 7.1. However, I'm thinking that my room may be a bit too small for 7.1. Any thoughts on this?

If I stick with a 5.1 setup, I would like to get some bipolar surrounds (specifically Aperion 4BP) as my current set up is very localizable. From what I've read, the choice between mono and bipole for surrounds is somewhat subjective, so I'm not sure if this is the best path to go down.

-Erik

·
Registered
30,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by efaust  /t/1523855/theater-remodel-layout-question#post_24656946

I'm thinking that my room may be a bit too small for 7.1. Any thoughts on this?
Size doesn't matter. Actually, let me rephrase that: room size is not the determining factor when deciding between a 5.1 and 7.1 speaker layout. Instead it is seating location. You could be in a huge room, but if your seating is at or near the back wall, then you're a poor candidate for a 7.1 layout (no space behind you for the rear speakers).

By comparison, your 16-foot room length will be fine for a 7.1 set-up IF your seating is forward of the bump-out (about 5 feet from the back wall). This will allow for good rear-vs-side separation in the surround field. Plus, using 4 surrounds will give you wrap-around envelopment that you won't get when using only 2 surround speakers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1523855/theater-remodel-layout-question#post_24657083

Size doesn't matter. Actually, let me rephrase that: room size is not the determining factor when deciding between a 5.1 and 7.1 speaker layout. Instead it is seating location. You could be in a huge room, but if your seating is at or near the back wall, then you're a poor candidate for a 7.1 layout (no space behind you for the rear speakers).

By comparison, your 16-foot room length will be fine for a 7.1 set-up IF your seating is forward of the bump-out (about 5 feet from the back wall). This will allow for good rear-vs-side separation in the surround field. Plus, using 4 surrounds will give you wrap-around envelopment that you won't get when using only 2 surround speakers.

That makes sense in terms of overall size. I don't know if I'm going to get the wife to agree to let me leave that much space behind the couch. We are currently going back and forth between her wanting more seating and me wanting to maximize the acoustics in the room.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, if I can get the couch off the back wall, a full 7.1 (with monopoles, I'm assuming) would be a good choice. If I cannot get that much space behind the couch, I should stick with 5.1, and possibly use bipoles.

·
Registered
30,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by efaust  /t/1523855/theater-remodel-layout-question#post_24657681

I don't know if I'm going to get the wife to agree to let me leave that much space behind the couch. We are currently going back and forth between her wanting more seating and me wanting to maximize the acoustics in the room.
Do both. The 1/3 divisions of room length are where the frequency response is smoother (fewer/smaller peaks & dips). So a bit over 5 feet from the back wall will be a good location for your primary row of seats. That leaves enough room behind you for an overflow row of seating (which you wouldn't have been possible if your main row had been a couple feet back).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks sdurani. I showed a drwing of what you suggested to my wife last night and she didn't turn me down immediatly. That's progress in my book. On the speaker front, do you haev any recommendations for bipolar versus monopole? If I go 7.1, I'm not sure I'll get much benefit out of the bipolar speakers versus monos, but I've never owned these type before so I could be totally off base.

-Erik

·
Registered
30,678 Posts
With 4 surround speakers firing simultaneously, you can get a diffuse surround field without resorting to diffuse speakers (bipoles or dipoles). So I would stick to monopole speakers. Used together they can sound diffuse and ambient, but individually they will still be able to deliver precise directionality when needed. The recording engineer that mixed the soundtrack will make that determination, not the speakers in your room.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.