AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all I want to thank everyone on this forum, I have learned a whole lot about home theater. I'm working on a current budget home theater room. We finsihed the basement with the plans of putting in a theater room, and now the room seems to be a reality. We are trying to do it fairly inexpensive. What we currently have:

room:
16'x17x with 9 foot ceilings (actually 4 inches shy of 9 feet) There is a false wall in the back with about 1.5 to 2 feet of space. it is currently wired for 7.2 surround sound. It is painted black ceiling/trim and dark red walls. no windows fully light controlled.

Projector: Benq w1070 (there was a great deal on amazon and read it was a very good projector for the money so picked it up cheap)

Seating: found 8 used theater seats on a good deal: back row 16.5 feet. front row 11-12 feet (does this sound resonable?)

Speakers: I have some spare speakers I plan on using for right now (definately not the best but I figure I can upgrade these later since I already have them and I'm trying to do it on a budget) powered by a spare sony receiver.

What I need advice on is the screen. I'm planning on building my own frame and getting some material to cover it. I would like an acoustically transparent screen. I would like to go 140 inches. my mount is 6 inches from the ceiling so with the projector around 12 feet from the wall I will be able to project the image. This will give me 140 inches as close as possible for brightness.

with a 140 inch screen it will give me about 10 inches from the ceiling (Projector limitation) and about 20 inches to the floor, do I need more room on the top and bottom than this?

also for the front row will this be too big? I figure I can always make a bigger screen smaller, but can't make too small of a screen bigger, any thought on the size of the screen?

The material I'm looking at is the seymour XD (I figure if I'm going to build a screen I may as well do this part right) I compared a couple of other screen materials and this one seemed to look the best, also in a light controlled enviornment it didn't look like the blacks suffered too much (although In a lighted enviornment the blacks weren't that good) is my seating distance adequate for this screen type (seeing weave pattern)

thanks for all of your help. We have renters in the basement that are planning on leaving within the month and I want everything ready so I can get my room setup. I'm way excited

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

What I need advice on is the screen. I'm planning on building my own frame and getting some material to cover it. I would like an acoustically transparent screen. I would like to go 140 inches.
We all start this way... Take a step back and hold off on your screen size selection. Base your screen size and placement on your seating distance and plan. 140", especially if you're going to consume some room at the front for an AT screen and existing speakers, IMO is too big at

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum!

We all start this way... Take a step back and hold off on your screen size selection. Base your screen size and placement on your seating distance and plan. 140", especially if you're going to consume some room at the front for an AT screen and existing speakers, IMO is too big at

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Recliners require 6 1/2 ft seat back to seat back. you were planning 4 1/2 to 5 1/2. Fine if you don't want to raise the foot rests.

Thanks. I did some crude measurements in my garage, so they are probably off.that is another good reason for patience. So I can set everything up and make sure everything is as I expect.

Also and I don't mean to open up a can of worms, but what do you think about the Seymour xd material. I have a sample of that and the uf material. I liked the brightness of the xd anything I need to be concerned about or look at some thing else?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts