AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. What is the best gauge wire to use for theater room speakers (7.1)

2. What is the best gauge wire to use for other in ceiling speakers through out the basement.

3. I want to run 2" conduit to all of my TVs through out the basement (5 total) for the video cables. I see where PVC is pretty cheap for 10' sections. I was wondering what everyone else used.

Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thats a great article BIG!

The chart with recommended gauges for varying lengths is especially handy.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Does in-wall wiring have to be shielded or can you use un-shielded wiring?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
In wall wire just has to be in wall rated (CL2, CL3)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz /forum/post/19619901

Does in-wall wiring have to be shielded or can you use un-shielded wiring?

It doesn't HAVE to be shielded, but the longer the run you have and the more times it intersects any power the more interference the wire will pick up.

Non of my speaker wire is shielded and i dont have any issues...granted im not running 20k worth of audio equipment either.

BTW if you HAVE to cross over a power line, make sure you cross at 90 degrees, you never want cable/wire to run parallel to a power source.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs777 /forum/post/19620299

How about Conduit. What did you guys use?

I didn't, and now wish I had. Most I've seen use "smurf tube", which is a flexible plastic conduit.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs777 /forum/post/19625937

Should I get 2 conductor wire or 4 for my speakers? What is the purpose of 4 conductor wire?

Some guys bi-amp there speakers, running the tweeter off one amp and the woofer off of another. You need speakers designed for this use and twice as many amplifiers. If you decide to put in conduit for your speaker wire you can upgrade from 2 conductor to 4 at a later date.

Bottom line, most installs use 2 conductor wire.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Man. That is what I figured, just wanted to make sure before I pull the trigger. I am going to go with the 2 conductor. Was going to go Monoprice, but for my speaker wire and 6 in ceiling speakers, they want $60 shipping. I am going to look around and see what else I can find.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs777 /forum/post/19626031

Thanks Man. That is what I figured, just wanted to make sure before I pull the trigger. I am going to go with the 2 conductor. Was going to go Monoprice, but for my speaker wire and 6 in ceiling speakers, they want $60 shipping. I am going to look around and see what else I can find.

That seems awfully high. Try and take items out of the cart to figure out what's triggering the most cost. Most orders I've placed for wire come out to $8-$15 for shipping, but I've never ordered speakers from them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts