AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased Theater Tek 2.0 with the NVidia decoders. i have a 6600GT on a P4 3.0ghz, 1.5GB RAM, and the 24" Widescreen LCD from DELL via DVI.

My question is on the setup.

I have never used FFDShow or any other tweaking device before, so I had some questions.

First off, do I ned FFDShow even though I have the NVidia Pureview decoders that came with TT?

When I goto VIDEO on the TT config, do I use the NVidia decoder post processing or go ahead and config it with FFDShow? I thought the whole point of the NVidia decoders was so i didnt need FFDShow..but im starting to wonder now reading the posts here. Theres a box for PRIMARY AND SECONDARY post processing..should I to NVidia for primary and ffdshow as secondary?

I just want the best quality PQ I can get. There's a lot of talk about ffdshow around here and I dont wanna be missing something if its free and will drastically improve my video quality. Is the ffdshow worth it over the nvidia decoders?

Also...what what about Video output setup? Overlay or VMR9? Whats best? Hi-def, Media? Are those best at Overlay or VMR9?

In advance video mode there are some VMR9 check boxes...which of those should I check?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Most nvidia users seem satisfied w/o ffdshow. Some even claim it's better but that's impossible IMHO. I don't use TT and have an ATI card. But it boils down to your eyes. If you're happy w/ your PQ w/o ffdshow, then don't bother w/ it. But nobody will stop you from using it. Pure Video is Nvidia's hardware post proccesing and ffdshow is a very tweakable software post proccesor. You can't use both at the same time. If you want to try ffdshow, there is a guide at HTPCNEWS.com for it but t's rather old. Just make sure the output is YV12 at the bottom and don't place resize above blur and sharpening filters if you use them. Set resize to your output resolution using Lanzcos w/ the slider not past 4 steps. You can tweak from there. This will require patience.....mike.....

Oh, use VMR9....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoore09
First off, do I ned FFDShow even though I have the NVidia Pureview decoders that came with TT?
It is a matter of preference I suppose. If you like tinkering then ffdshow is going to be fun if not I would leave it out.

Quote:
When I goto VIDEO on the TT config, do I use the NVidia decoder post processing or go ahead and config it with FFDShow?
Since you have an NVidia display adapter you should not turn on post processing if you do not use ffdshow. Only then you use the card's hardware video processing features. In other words when you select ffdshow or nvidia post processing or both you do not use the card's harware processing.

Quote:
I thought the whole point of the NVidia decoders was so i didnt need FFDShow..but im starting to wonder now reading the posts here.
Well just because people use it does not mean that it is going to be so much better. :)

I know the reports: use Lanczos XYZ or filter ABC and the "jaw dropping" , "night and a day differences", "blowing away"and other superlatives pop out of the poster's minds.

Then there are those that are convinved that a sharper image is a better one. And of course they are entitled to their opinion. But just look what it does to things like skin or background objects.

Quote:
Theres a box for PRIMARY AND SECONDARY post processing..should I to NVidia for primary and ffdshow as secondary?
Well if you use nvidia post processing then that one has to go first, you have no other option. Do you have to use them both? In my opinion turning it on does not give you a better picture, yes there is a difference but it is not an improvement IMHO.

Quote:
I just want the best quality PQ I can get. There's a lot of talk about ffdshow around here and I dont wanna be missing something if its free and will drastically improve my video quality. Is the ffdshow worth it over the nvidia decoders?
Again in my opinion, and I realize that I seem to be part of a minority here, is that ffdshow is way overhyped.

ffdshow is IMHO a poorly maintained and developed software package, half of the features are not even implemented yet, and I suppose they never will.

With ffdshow you see the classic herd mentality. Someone would post "heh tried Lanczos XYZ, simply jaw dropping", then three days later the whole lemming population wants to use Lanczos XYZ, then someone later would say Lanczos XYZ does not make any sense use ABC instead, then everybody changes again etc.

The algorithms in ffdshow are not very sophisticated, why not, well because a general purpose processor is simply not optimized to process video signals.

Avisynth, which is accessable from within ffdshow goes one step further in manipulating the video signal. For instance there is a package called limitedsharpen which is actually not too bad but the problem is that it takes a big toll on the CPU, and you might not get all frames processed in time.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
With ffdshow you see the classic herd mentality. Someone would post "heh tried Lanczos XYZ, simply jaw dropping", then three days later the whole lemming population wants to use Lanczos XYZ, then someone later would say Lanczos XYZ does not make any sense use ABC instead, then everybody changes again etc.
I agree that lots of people use such expressions. Wasn't really that way when I joined this great forum. Those comments also apply to other items, not only ffdshow. I notice those stupid comments are comming from newer members and gamers. Of course I'm generalizing not to mean it for everybody. Seems like child play like "my Camaro will blow the doors of your Mustang", stuff like that. Yeah it bothers me too. But that doesn't change anything about ffdshow. I don't think it's overrated. It's those lame comments that make it sound that way.

I love ffdshow. It justs makes DVD viewing on my 65" 1080i RPTV all that better than say my dust collecting RP56 player. ...mike...

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
I'll say this: the only indispensable elements in my HTPC experience are Dscaler and ffdshow. The rest are pure commodities, including the graphic card (I have ATi and Nvidia).

Again, there are no absolutes when it comes to personal experience. To me Purevideo is right now only a way of dealing with video. Otherwise I find the picture too soft when compared to Dscaler/ffdshow's.

So, obvious for you, BMoore09: give yourself the chance to experiment and see with your own eyes. You'll find tons of very qualified info on ffdshow in the forum.

But to try Dscaler, which I strongly advice you try, you'll need another player (Zoom Player is the best for me).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am I Using the PUREVIDEO decoders when post-processing is OFF? Or is that what the decoder is, the postprocessor?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Am I Using the PUREVIDEO decoders when post-processing is OFF? Or is that what the decoder is, the postprocessor?
You will use purevideo if and only if:

- you have an nvidia display adapter.

- you have DXVA seleced.

- you have do NOT selected any postprocessors.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Yes it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.