AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a unique problem. I have been running Theater Tek 2.5 on my Windows XP HTPC for years. Recently, through no fault of my own, using on-line tech support accessing my computer, my C\: was corrupted forcing me to do a clean reinstall of XP. All my settings were lost. In an attempt to reload Theater Tek, it says I have a limited trial period. In order to activate it I need to input a serial# (which I have) but also an activation code (which I don't). I have a very complicated setup involving other HTPC's & I would very much like to try & reconfigure my prior setup rather than purchasing a newer computer. As you know, Theater Tek is no longer supported, so if anyone could help me get it back up & running, I would be forever grateful!

·
Registered
427 Posts
IIRC, the activation code was unique to your purchase of TT. If you don't have your original purchase confirmation email (or the sticker on the physical disk if you purchased that option), then you may be out of options.

TheaterTek was the shizz back in the day, but it's long past its prime. I certainly understand about complicated installs and wanting to just get back to operations, but I think you should take this as a sign to just upgrade to at least Windows 7. Personally, I held out on XP for a couple of years after W7 came out (for probably similar reasons as yourself -- I'd invested considerable time in hacking and customizing XP MCE). Once I moved all my systems over to W7, my only thought was "why did I wait so long!"

W7 is the gold standard for WMC. It just works. And makes all the headaches I had to endure (OK, most headaches :rolleyes:) with XP disappear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly understand where you're coming from. I just use my HTPC to play movies that are on my hard drive. The optical digital audio out goes to my Krell sound processor. I do have a problem with synchronization when streaming HBO. What advantage will I see if I go to a Windows 7 machine? What software would you recommend to playback my TS audio/video files from DVD Shrink?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Depends on how involved you want it to be. :)

W7 WMC has native support for playback of TS folders through the use of Media Libraries. The MPEG2 player in WMC isn't bad (especially if you're viewing on

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
If you're actually using any of the features of TheaterTek you'll be disappointed. If you're not obsessed with quality, I'd just go with WMC (possibly with Media Browser), Kodi (XBMC) or similar, they're all pretty good. If you want the best you can get, you should look at MPC-HC (or similar) with madVR.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried HPC-HC but figure out how to get it to play a movie on my hard drive rendered with DVD Shrink/AnyDVD. There are two files audio & video TS. No manual for HPC that I can find. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Follow Mindbomb's guide. Boom and done.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1357375-advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide.html

So, to sum it up, here are your options:

Easiest, cheapest = WMC native capabilities (DVD discs and folders only)
Best (and also cheapest), but time consuming = MPC-HC with MadVR (DVD and Blu folder rips only)
Easy, complete, but spendy = PowerDVD (DVD and Blu discs and some folder playback capability)

Personally, I've never used PowerDVD since I have TMT5/6. TMT plays discs with full menus, folder rips (TS, BVDM, MKV) and ISO. However, since it's out of support there are new Blus which are not playing in the latest version anymore. I'd pick up PowerDVD (it's usually on sale ~$40) but I've read there are some issues with folder and ISO support in certain versions. Haven't really dug into it for specifics. That's why I'm just going to move over to MPC-HC.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have a unique problem. I have been running Theater Tek 2.5 on my Windows XP HTPC for years. Recently, through no fault of my own, using on-line tech support accessing my computer, my C\: was corrupted forcing me to do a clean reinstall of XP. All my settings were lost. In an attempt to reload Theater Tek, it says I have a limited trial period. In order to activate it I need to input a serial# (which I have) but also an activation code (which I don't). I have a very complicated setup involving other HTPC's & I would very much like to try & reconfigure my prior setup rather than purchasing a newer computer. As you know, Theater Tek is no longer supported, so if anyone could help me get it back up & running, I would be forever grateful!
Jeff,
Just saw this post, haven't been around here in a long time...

I'll see what I can do, can't promise anything
Andrew

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Jeff,
Just saw this post, haven't been around here in a long time...

I'll see what I can do, can't promise anything
Andrew
Wow, a post from Chivs! That's going down memory lane.... sigh....these were good times....TheaterTek.... what an outstanding product and support!!! Really too bad that it did not make it into the HD format world. Everything I tried afterwards (PowerDVD, WinDVD, Arcsofts, etc.) could not hold a candle to it. Truly a product for HT enthusiasts.

______
Axel

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Wow a Theater Tek Question - I thought I was the only one using it! I love it and have been looking for some kind of replacement but can't find anything with the features of it especially the "Bookmarks" which I use all the time.

I have it running on my HTPC and have now embraced Plex and MKV files which I can't seem to get Theater Tek to support.

If anyone knows of a player that supports Bookmarks and does slow motion and at least most of the other stuff that TT does please let me know!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wow, a post from Chivs! That's going down memory lane.... sigh....these were good times....TheaterTek.... what an outstanding product and support!!! Really too bad that it did not make it into the HD format world. Everything I tried afterwards (PowerDVD, WinDVD, Arcsofts, etc.) could not hold a candle to it. Truly a product for HT enthusiasts.

______
Axel
Axel,
Thanks for the shout out. They were fun times weren't they? The graphics could do with a little update, but it's held up pretty well.
Nice to see some familiar names around here...

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

______
Axel
I actually have a license for TT on my old workstation and I had totally forgot about the program and having random trailers play before the main movie years ago-that was cool.
Isnt TT just a DirectShow player, so shouldnt it playback all the current codecs with appropriate codec dll's installed? I understand it never made it to full BD/HDDVD playback capability likely due to DRM & licensing costs, but it should work fine for mkv, m2ts, flv.....playback?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I actually have a license for TT on my old workstation and I had totally forgot about the program and having random trailers play before the main movie years ago-that was cool.
Isnt TT just a DirectShow player, so shouldnt it playback all the current codecs with appropriate codec dll's installed? I understand it never made it to full BD/HDDVD playback capability likely due to DRM & licensing costs, but it should work fine for mkv, m2ts, flv.....playback?
I could have sworn that I read something somewhere that you could get TT to play MKV Files but I can't get it to play them. I am using it for old DVD Rips with the Video_ts file / folder structure.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
That is soo 2000's - gotta get with the times. :)
The Key Word in my post is "OLD" all of my new / Blu-Ray Rips are MKV Files using Plex. That said I still have a need / desire to use a very good software player like TT and wish there was a way to get it to work with the new files.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually found info from when Terry Ferentinos first installed TT on the HTPC he built for me & got it to work. Will also keep the info you sent me just in case. Appreciate your efforts very much!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.