AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using my home theater for a while and decided to decorate it a little bit now.

I chose Star Trek USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A as the main decor for a simple reason: If I attach the saucer part of the ship on the ceiling, the deflector/engineering hull part is exactly where my projector sits. This way when I sit down there and look up, I will see this giant spaceship flying over me, making it feel like in space. I will use some fiber optic light to enhance the effect for sure.

You can www here to see what I am talking about: ketzer.com/enterprise/IMG_0095.jpg

But I need help on where to find a model this big. I tried many places and the biggest one people ever constructed is about 66" total length. But what I need is 10 feet diameter for the saucer part alone!

Anybody here knows how to construct something like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 10 feet and the center of the projector lens is about 33" from the ceiling. Based on this, I calculated the saucer diameter 10 feet. My projector is mounted on the back wall and the saucer will be against the back wall too. So I don't need anything (tails) behind that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
How involved do you want this to be?

It is possible to construct something that big from a certain type of styrofoam panel ( not quite the same stuff as a coffee cup!!). It can be cut/shaped with what is essentially a hot wire type of 'knife' ( a wire that has electricity running through it that sort of melts the stuff as it goes.)

This type of material has many uses including Hollywood constructs and such, but you'd have to research where to get it.

It is relatively light weight, but even so at that size you might need bracing.

If only the bottom shows you could brace it on top where it wouldn't show.

It is generally paintable.

I would call this a moderate cost solution, but don't ask me how much it would be.

Paul

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Fiberglass perhaps? Paper mache?

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
You've got an amazing amount of work to do.

These (of this size) are generally carved from blocks of foam then either spray coated (or more typically) fiberglassed and finished.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody for all your suggestions. Looks like the rim part is the easiest. Then I can use foam to make a mold and then fiberglass to form a thin shell cover for the saucer part.

I will start from the rim. Here is my to do list:

1. Draw a 10' circle on the ceiling;

2. Find studs around the circle and attach anchor point;

3. Cut and glue foam blocks around the circle;

4. Use thin foam strips to form the rim;

5. Cut windows, draw lines, decorations on the rim;

6. Install lightings on the rim. Maybe LED lights? Anybody knows the source for them?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
If I was crazy enough to do ST theme as you described, here's my proposal: Since I'm assuming your theater room will be wider than 10ft, since you want the saucer section 10ft in diameter, I'd use either foam core and led or better yet starlight leds as yourship lights. I'd fabricate a fiberglass "neck" connecting the saucer section to the lower body containing the projector. Projector aesthetics come into play as I'd look for a pj where the lens was in the middle (like a mitsu), not off to the side (like a panny)- it will "maintain the illusion".

Assuming you theater is 9ft high, the pj will probably sit 7ft high, so you know where your lower body is. The saucer section should be thin, perhaps 6" thick or less. You're looking at from the below so create a forced perspective from your viewing point. Finally, have the entire room (except for the screen of course), including the chairs, doors, and carpeting, totally black as possible, to give the illusion of being in space.

Its doable. It just are you committed (in every sense) to do this...

Victor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are a real Star Trek fan! I like the shape of the deflector on 1701D too since I have a Sony VPL-VW100 which shapes exactly like that. But I like the spaceship shape of A better and because of the size, I can fit my Sony in it even the shapes are different. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZero94 /forum/post/15480410

I for one can't wait to see this. You know, the deflector dish on 1701-D is probably an easier fit for a projector....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks and that's exacly what I did before I got the 10 feet diameter number. With 10 feet saucer, the deflector will be at 33" from the ceiling which is exactly where my Sony VPL-VW100 sits. And the "neck" will cover all the pj mounting hardware and cables. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd /forum/post/15481132

If I was crazy enough to do ST theme as you described, here's my proposal: Since I'm assuming your theater room will be wider than 10ft, since you want the saucer section 10ft in diameter, I'd use either foam core and led or better yet starlight leds as yourship lights. I'd fabricate a fiberglass "neck" connecting the saucer section to the lower body containing the projector. Projector aesthetics come into play as I'd look for a pj where the lens was in the middle (like a mitsu), not off to the side (like a panny)- it will "maintain the illusion".

Assuming you theater is 9ft high, the pj will probably sit 7ft high, so you know where your lower body is. The saucer section should be thin, perhaps 6" thick or less. You're looking at from the below so create a forced perspective from your viewing point. Finally, have the entire room (except for the screen of course), including the chairs, doors, and carpeting, totally black as possible, to give the illusion of being in space.

Its doable. It just are you committed (in every sense) to do this...

Victor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts