AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the blueprints close in on the final design, its time for opinions on whatever aspect you wish...criticize, offer opinions, improvements, things you would add,remove........generally just ridicule, mock or encourage me......;)

The plan.......

I wanted to house to revolve around the theater/entertainment system, I have had one in a dedicated room currently and wish to bring it out of corner of the house in my new house build.

I know open concept theaters are not ideal for sound, but I want it to function and be more integrated with the house this time..........having not used the living room for 2 years shows me there is no need to waste space for me in a dedicated set up.

This is mainly a movie/entertainment room, with a kitchen, bathrooms and bedrooms.......the screen room has taken precident over all other considerations........with bathrooms even more dedicated towards that usage and of course some where to sleep between movies other than the recliners.:D

So here is the blueprint.....fire away with suggestions or critiques.

10 foot wide 2:35 screen, 5.4.1 system and subs installed in the bar seating behind the recliners on a concrete floor with shakers in the seating, audio rack room to the side and a ht computer/media movie storage room to the side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a couple rendered pics from inside.........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As seen in the first pic above, the front porch/outdoor kitchen/grilling area is incorporated so as to retain full view of the screen and the large 10 foot wide windows so they block minimal view and open to let sound out.......the His/ Hers bathrooms will also have small LCD screens so nothing is missed while taking a nature call.

The Kitchen is set up soo you can still see the screen from all locations, the reason for the angled equipment rack so visibility is not blocked.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
As seen in the first pic above, the front porch/outdoor kitchen/grilling area is incorporated so as to retain full view of the screen and the large 10 foot wide windows so they block minimal view and open to let sound out.......the His/ Hers bathrooms will also have small LCD screens so nothing is missed while taking a nature call.

The Kitchen is set up soo you can still see the screen from all locations, the reason for the angled equipment rack so visibility is not blocked.
What type of build is going to be? Stick build? If you haven't decided yet you might want to have a look at ICF. Easy to finish inside and out and very strong, very quiet, energy efficient, lower insurance etc...

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What type of build is going to be? Stick build? If you haven't decided yet you might want to have a look at ICF. Easy to finish inside and out and very strong, very quiet, energy efficient, lower insurance etc...
Thanks !

Stick built, doing it myself and the house is on property in the middle of no where so sound is no issue.... I like ICF, but between the blocks and the concrete it puts me way out of budget,......I like them, just not for this build.

Thanks for the suggestion though, that`s what I am talking about.....anything at all to do with this is on topic.

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,849 Posts
IMHO your seating is too far from a 10 ft wide scope screen, Most people prefer sitting 1 to 1.2 screen widths from the screen, you are 1.4 screen widths away, measured to the eyes. And that is the front row.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMHO your seating is too far from a 10 ft wide scope screen, Most people prefer sitting 1 to 1.2 screen widths from the screen, you are 1.4 screen widths away, measured to the eyes. And that is the front row.
Thanks Jeff, a lot of my current room comes from your ideas and suggestions. :D Such as my goal posts with the spandex screen,.......will be using that again !

I also plan on the conduit from the PJ location and from behind the screen to the electronics/rack room.......any ideas on venting that room, I am open to whatever right now and can make about anything happen. One idea was to vent that heat in to the heat pump water heater room or just outside in the summer and back in to the structure in the winter.

I also have a old Control hc-300 I was going to toss, unless you have any ideas to utilize it.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The screen pocket is 15 feet wide......move the seating closer or make the screen bigger ?

My current 16:9 is approx 120 diagonal or 59 inches tall, a 12 foot wide scope is approx 61 tall.

Seems like 60 inches tall is about right for a 8 foot ceiling height or around right......mine is currently about 24 inches from the floor and that seems about as low as it should go.

I mean honestly,....there is no obstacle to going the full 15 feet wide since it will be AT.......

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Second iteration,...actually iteration 287.5...LOL

Made the screen 12 feet wide.......placed the rears and ceiling speakers on the plans.......angled the side wall to get better screen view from the corners of the kitchen.......made the his hers toilet rooms wider. Moved seating closer.

I am open to any ideas..... suggestions,...complaints. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a render from the corner of the kitchen........screen must be visible from every where...even moved the stove so you don`t lose sight of the screen when cooking.

Still need to work on wall coverings...crown moldings..star ceilings.....leds etc etc and figure out what to do on columns etc or if to do any of it.......

This entire house is about theater with no WAF constraints at all.......the entire look/structure is all about theater........yes that`s a black ceiling in the entire house......;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
View from screen capturing rear speakers and ceiling speakers.....had to use can lights for ceiling speakers as this renderer has no ceiling speakers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing....no feedback ?

No dude you`ll get cooking oils in the PJ.....I would never do that....you wont be able to sell it or I would do this.....no feedback, input is wrong........all suggestions are good.

I am not putting this out to show off, I would like everyone to add input so this can be the best it can be..........fire away, good or bad........

Basically the concept is entertainment......you need to eat or you die, so we need food prep, plus death would stop the movies..........you need a bathroom or the movies would get smelly...you need to sleep to watch more movies, while a few nights in the theater seats is ok....a year of sleeping in them is not, so a bedroom.....then not showering for month reduces movie enjoyment with all the smellin and itchin and rashes, so a shower facility........then none of that does any good if your clothes have not been washed, so instead of stopping the entertainment, a on site washer and dryer...........

This primarily a movie theater, with the rest of the stuff that keeps you alive to watch more movies........even the front porch.screened are/outdoor kitchen is located to still be able to see the screen.........the movies can not be interrupted at any cost.

So lets hear some ideas about a all out entertainment house......there is a budget,...but no design constraints other than the screen is the main focus.

Ideas gathered from other sources...20 inch lcd`s in the bathrooms with a in ceiling stereo speaker so the movie is not interrupted for anyone.......no one wants to be the reason a movie is stopped and a room full of people do not want to stare at nothing while you pinch a loaf....:D

Let the suggestion flow...nothing is too crazy....everything is possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a rank noob, so take all this with a huge grain of salt.
It seems like a whole lot of compromises in the name of having a large projector screen visible from anywhere: 1) Light from the large windows in the back (at least with my projector this would wash out the picture badly) 2) Acoustically you have a massive open space on one side and a wall on the other.

Selling the house may indeed be an issue if the living room is set up like an auditorium with a fixed bar in the middle of it... of course it could be removed and re-floored but not all shoppers will see that.
I assume the bedrooms are off to the right somewhere?

I'd be more inclined to just make the living room a standard living room layout, put the biggest TV you can find on the "screen wall" and you'll still be able to see it from the kitchen or outside the back wall window and the light won't be as much a problem. Then add a real dedicated room somewhere that can be optimized from the start to do the "theater experience" if that is what you are after. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'd add side surrounds, wall and island.

Is that a washer and dryer in the little room to the side of the screen? I'd move those so that they are back against the bathroom on the other side, on wet wall instead of 2.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a rank noob, so take all this with a huge grain of salt.
It seems like a whole lot of compromises in the name of having a large projector screen visible from anywhere: 1) Light from the large windows in the back (at least with my projector this would wash out the picture badly) 2) Acoustically you have a massive open space on one side and a wall on the other.

Selling the house may indeed be an issue if the living room is set up like an auditorium with a fixed bar in the middle of it... of course it could be removed and re-floored but not all shoppers will see that.
I assume the bedrooms are off to the right somewhere?

I'd be more inclined to just make the living room a standard living room layout, put the biggest TV you can find on the "screen wall" and you'll still be able to see it from the kitchen or outside the back wall window and the light won't be as much a problem. Then add a real dedicated room somewhere that can be optimized from the start to do the "theater experience" if that is what you are after. Just my .02

Thanks !

Those 2 outside windows open to a 20x18 screened in porch, I will have black out shades inside and all exterior windows are getting roll down hurricane shutters on the outside,........but those are valid questions keep em coming.:D

Yes acoustically and this is the biggest hurdle.......while it will never be perfect, I do want to mitigate the impact as much as possible, without compromising the usage scenario,...if that makes sense. But it will be a challenge and without a dedicated room, never be quite right.

I large part of this design is also not making the house unsellable.....it will have stained concrete thru the entire house and nothing will be bolted/mailed thru the floors...the bar and screen wall will be easily removable so they can be taken away before sale, leaving just a normal open concept lay out left.......much planning has went it to not impacting future sale of the house.......

Yes bedrooms are off to the right.....3 of them, albeit pretty small except the master, too small for a HT.......

I have a dedicated room in my current house, its great !,....problem is the rest of the house is a ghost town.......the living room TV has not even been plugged in for 2 years, a brand new couch thats 2 years old that maybe 5 people have sat on for a hour total usage........I have to dust it once a month because if I sit on it to put my shoes on every once in while, it leaves a huge clean spot........the living room gets walked thru, thats about it.

My usage scenario is probably far different than most,........I have had the dedicated room for 3.5 years and the projector has 20k hours,...that`s 14 hours a day average.

I appreciate your input.......the sound is the hard one, it would be easy to throw the theater in a back room and be done, thats what I have now.........moving it out in to the functions of the house is much more challenging, but I would like to make it as good as it can be given the constraints.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd add side surrounds, wall and island.

Is that a washer and dryer in the little room to the side of the screen? I'd move those so that they are back against the bathroom on the other side, on wet wall instead of 2.

Yep, those have been relocated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you willing to rotate the set-up 90 degrees?

Sure !

This is the planning stage and I am open to whatever changes as long as it can still serve the criteria I am after.

Screen to west wall I assume ?

I could shift the covered porch some so the screen is visible from out there, the covered porch will be a hang out, outdoor kitchen area approx 20x18 with bar seating.

I have a dedicated room now, I want to move it out in the new house...........the rest of my house now barely gets used at all.........but I am a 20k hours in 3.5 years type of user....:eek:

I know you are about sound, but here is a rundown of a typical usage scenario......I like the dedicated room sound too, soo I am hoping to mitigate issues as much as possible within my usage constraints.

Get up out of bed......fire up theater,...check emails, I run a online business...run down thru some quick news, check some forums,...check my youtube subs........conduct some business mixed with some music and some vids......take care of things around the house with music going.....do more business, watch a few more vids, maybe watch a movie or show in the evening etc.......with mixed time of designing a house, chatting with distant family,...maybe load up some music go take a shower etc......the current theater is the central hub of the house, except its not, its off in a room....leaving the rest of the house basically unused.

Some one comes over,.....we meet in the front room at the door, they are like whats up, I say reading this watching that and we all proceed in to the black abyss.........if food or drink is needed its hit pause or shuffle back out in the light, then proceed back to the dedicated room,.....if the cigars and pipes come out, its off to the porch area,...stop the music, hit pause and shuffle back out of the dedicated room, then back in the dedicated room.......

Basically whatever happens requires a stop in whatever is happening on screen and shuffling constantly in and out of the room........and when currently in the room all that exists is recliner seating,...it would be nice to stand or have a place bigger than a recliners TV tray to put drinks and food.....

I want to be able to get/make drinks without stopping the content on screen and be able to listen to the music while doing those functions, and go outside for a gar break without stopping the show.........from business to entertainment, to communications etc etc etc, the screen, sound is the center of the houses usage......I want to bring that out of the black cave now in my new house.

So, anyway after that long list of things that have nothing to do with sound reproduction or the implementation of,.........whats your idea for shifting the screen wall.......what will that help or fix audio wise........I am willing to layout whatever and give it a virtual look and see how it fits with all the other constraints.

Thanks !

I was going to address the issues with 6 flat screens a video network and and whole house audio,....... but thats too tech for me and a hassle...burning them all all the time or constantly switching zones.;)

Just make the whole house, the zone....

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a shot with generic man for reference......

Here are scenarios I want to avoid,.......have you seen bill, no where is he at, he must be oustide grilling, have you seen janet, no, oh, she must be in the kitchen,.....can you stop the entertainment, i need a drink,....we can smoke gars and pipes, let me pause the entertainment and we can go outside.....

When family or friends come over, I want people hanging out to see each other and be able to visit,....not cut off because some are in the kitchen, some are in the living room, some are in the theater, some are outside.

Notice generic man, he can see and talk with everyone in the house, unless they are using the rest room or sleeping.....he is part of it all and soo is everyone else at all locations....the kitchen people are not isolated, the living room people are not isolated, the out door people are not isolated.

To make this happen compromises will be made, but thru inventive ideas, carpentry and science, those issues can be mitigated as much as possible, within these constraints.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 78 Posts