AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone built a theater without a stage or seating riser?

My second row of seating will be on bar stools with a bar.

links to thread or pics would be great.

thanks

room size is 22'x24'x9'

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Dunragit,

My HT only has a stage. I still haven't decided if I want to build a riser for my second row. My original plan was to build a bar as the second row, because I don't have enough room for a riser with recliners. Then I saw risers with consumer style cinema seats and it made me think I want a riser. So for right now I'm still a single row HT until I make up my mind.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I say that a stage is completely optional. Only if you want the looks (or a buffer area to discourage kids from getting close to the screen.)

If you have a second row that is already elevated (bar stools) a riser isn't really needed either.

Remember, the most important thing is that it suits *your* needs.

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have a riser and a counter height bar with stools.... which gives me 3 rows of seats with only one, approx. 9-1/2" riser.

Not exactly what you asked but I thought my use of the bar and stools was close enough.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I got no riser or stage...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't have a stage because of the 8' ceiling and a soffit right above the screen. The lack of a stage also helps keep the tweeters of the floor standing speakers at ear height.

With the dark front wall and bright screen, taking a picture of it does not turn out well. Here is a shot mid way through the construction that gives you and idea of the way it looks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlllava /forum/post/16968526

I don't have a stage because of the 8' ceiling and a soffit right above the screen. The lack of a stage also helps keep the tweeters of the floor standing speakers at ear height.

With the dark front wall and bright screen, taking a picture of it does not turn out well. Here is a shot mid way through the construction that gives you and idea of the way it looks.

looks good

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlllava /forum/post/16968526

I would love to see the finished theater. Got more pics?

·
Registered
500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing /forum/post/16967491

I have no stage.

Thats cause you have no ROOM for a stage

just razzing ya from one Canuck to another

·
Registered
841 Posts
My room is 21' 7" L x 13' 10" W x 8' 6" H

I don't have a front stage. I only have one row of three recliners at the moment. If I add more seating it would be a bar and stools.

John

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been debating the same issue. I certainly think a stage can give a build that "theater" look. Is there another function? Sound dampening perhaps? If I end up putting in an equipment rack recessed into the left wall, I may indeed build a small stage.

I plan on building a riser and putting the couch on it. That is, when I can afford the rocker/recliners I want for the front row.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H /forum/post/16973012

My room is 21' 7" L x 13' 10" W x 8' 6" H

I don't have a front stage. I only have one row of three recliners at the moment. If I add more seating it would be a bar and stools.

John

I think your subs could count as a stage.

I have a stage and a riser... and a bar. I agree that stages are optional, but if you want a second row of regualr (non-bar height) seating, then the riser is definitely the way to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts