Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much covers it.

From what I read I need at least a 2.4GHZ CPU to use FFDShow with TheaterTek 2.X My current CPU is a Intel P4 1.7GHZ in a ABIT TH711-RAID motherboard

Is it worth it or even technically feasible to upgrade my CPU to 2.4 GHZ or better using the same motherboard? If I uprade this CPU will I need more PC800 RDRAM (expensive), have 256MB now.

Using an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card.

If upgrading my CPU is not a viable option what would be a current good motherboard and CPU combination, my primary applications are TheaterTek and CD Rom slide shows using Windows media player? The rest of my HTPC hardware seems fine to me.

Thank you?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Try to shoot far a 3Ghz or equivalent. Specially since you mentioned ffdshow.

Most here favor AMD due to their lower heat and noise issues......

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You can check the Abit site for compatibility.

Intel Boards are not compatible w/ AMD.

A new board/CPU combo is preferred.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have used that board and do not think AMD will work cause it will not.

The highest P4 chip it will take is a 2.4 socket 478. Thats all she will take unless they did a bios update?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If you intend to use an AGP board for your 9800pro, I suggest shopping around for a AMD64 3000+ 754 and a Nforce3 or 4 board. You can probably find a decent price for that combo. You will have to get DDR400 RAM. That should last you a while until PCIe cards are cheap and abundant.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey Big Picture,

Before you do anything, may be you should try to overclock the cpu to around 2.2-2.4 ghz via the Bios. If the concept of overclocking is strange to you, then don't do it. I have a Asus P4G8X with a 1.8g 486, I have overclocked it to 2.4g and ran 24/7. I don't know the overclock potential for your 1.7G 486.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.