AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been trying to play a DVD from the hard disk using Theatertek without success for some time now. I’m using DVDStarter and SmartRipper. Here’s what I’ve been doing:

1.Insert DVD and start Smartripper

2.Rip all files from the DVD to a folder C:\\â€Nameâ€\\video_ts

3.Close SmartRipper and double-click My Computer

4.Open the C: drive and drag the “Name†folder and drop it on the DVDstarter icon on the desktop

5.Theatertek starts but the screen remains black and the DVD does not play.

If I have another DVD in the DVD drive itself it will play regardless of what DVD is ripper onto the hard disk. It’s as if TT does not recognise the virtual drive that DVDStarter has created. If I go into the configuration of TT it still shows only the D: as being available as a DVD drive

Any help greatly appreciateded

Conor

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I find the DVDdecrypter/Daemon tools combo to be more reliable and trouble free.

Unless you want to reduce the size of the movie by stripping parts...

Cheers,

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
My guess here is that you didn't set up a proper virtual drive. When you open DVDStarter's folder settings, you will find a small dropdown box in the lower right hand corner labeled "drive letter for playing movies". Make sure that you change that letter to one that is absolutely free and unused in your entire system, including mapped drives in your LAN. Now try it again and I think you should be all set.

Quote:
I find the DVDdecrypter/Daemon tools combo to be more reliable and trouble free.
Alric and I will disagree on this forever. :) But as he accurately points out, the DVDDecrypter/Daemon Tools method is at least an alternative.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
When you use dvdstarter, it changes your ripped dvd folder to a "virtual" dvd drive. Usually "m".

What I do with TT is first use dvdstarter on any other player, close the player, then startup TT. Sometimes if it doesn't play the DVD right away, I go to config menu and change the default drive to the virtual drive (in my case, "m").

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
from my personal experience daemon tools is the most reliable method...i also have had success ripping and playing thru zoomplayer..but using theatertek,daemon tools has been perfect.

brickie

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for the replys.

It seems to be dependant on th disk being ripped. It worked with Goldeneye R2 but not with Harry Potter 2 (R2) or LOTR Sepecial Edition (R1). However these disks did play from the hard disk using PowerDVD XP.

Looks like I'll need to try the DVDdecriptor and Daemon tools

Conor

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Quote:
It seems to be dependant on th disk being ripped. It worked with Goldeneye R2 but not with Harry Potter 2 (R2) or LOTR Sepecial Edition (R1). However these disks did play from the hard disk using PowerDVD XP.
That doesn't make sense. Either it works or it doesn't, but it does not depend on the title being played. If you have done as I recommended and you are still having issues, then we need to troubleshoot your TheaterTek setup or your DVDStarter settings further. Try playing the original DVD's with TheaterTek to see if you have the same problem, as I have a feeling that you do not have TheaterTek working reliably. Very often this kind of erratic behavior can be associated with sound card conflicts.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Conor -- Are you sure you've defined the folder settings properly in DVDStarter? You need to pick out the folder or folders from the list on the left in the Folder Settings dialog, and move them into the folder list on the right. You also have to make sure every single DVD's bunch of files is within a VIDEO_TS folder one level beneath the DVD's name. You'll see a green indicator on valid DVD folders.

Instead of putting them in the root of the C:\\ drive, just create a folder called "DVDs" and put each movie in that folder. That way you only have to define that location once in DVDStarter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Bob

Sorry I didn’t reply to your post but I’ve been really busy for the past couple of weeks. In fact I had started replying to this last night and was called away half way through.

It really is a mystery as to why some DVDs would work and others would not. I tried using a batch file before and it had the very same result as using smartripper and dvdstarter. Theatertek works flawlessly with all disks when playing from the DVD drive so I really thought that I was not going to get to the bottom of this. For this reason I did a total reformat (not in FAT but the other one, can’t think of it right now) to support files greater than 4gb. I then put on DVDdecryptor and daemon tools and this seems to work perfectly.

Thanks for your help

Conor

·
Registered
533 Posts
I use the subst command to play movies from several directories mapped from a server. There isn't any reason it wouldn't do the same for a local drive. Here is the contents of a file named run.bat that I store in the root of each movie that I have stripped and stored.

subst z: /d

subst z: M:\\movies\\Abyss

c:\\"Program Files"\\PowerStrip\\pstrip /p:DVD

c:\\"Program Files"\\TheaterTek\\TT.exe

c:\\"Program Files"\\PowerStrip\\pstrip /p:DEF

The file creates a virtual drive z: sets the video to my default DVD resolution and then runs TT. As long as there isn't a DVD in the drive on the HTPC this works fine. When I exit TT the resolution is returned to my default of 920x520 so that I can see the desktop. The format of the directory is important; it must be formatted so that the VIDEO_TS directory is in the root of the mapped drive. It is easy to check this from the cmd prompt by executing the subst command and then doing a dir of the mapped drive; if you don't see VIDEO_TS then it won't work. Once you have working batch files you can either use one of the various HTPC front ends to allow to execute them, run a simple menu program or just put shortcuts in a folder on the desktop. I wrote a simple program to run my system that will automatically create the batch files and catalog them for execution. Unfortunately it is specific to my system and I haven't taken the time to make it generic enough to release for public consumption.

Edit: Great, smilies in my post...should be : D

Cheers...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.