AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does theatertek provide a pronounced quality improvement over other players (windvd, for example)?

Using an HTPC with 5bnc-output (via MP-1'd ATI 7500) to an oldie-but-goodie CRT proj..

I suspect theatertek's player will be worthwhile but given that they 1) don't offer a demo 2) have a draconian attitude regarding my rights as a user to the software I buy, I hesitate to hand them my money.

Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I own both players and IMHO Windvd offers a better picture then TT. But TT's user interface is light years ahead of WinDVD's. I choose to use WinDVD because for me a better picture trumps TT's ease of use. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by malefactor
have a draconian attitude regarding my rights as a user to the software I buy, I hesitate to hand them my money.

Thanks.
Talk about draconian. I have actually paid twice for WINDVD it came bundled with my soundcard and dvd drive and I still have to pay them again for an upgrade.

peace

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SIMJEDI
Talk about draconian. I have actually paid twice for WINDVD it came bundled with my soundcard and dvd drive and I still have to pay them again for an upgrade.

peace
You mean they actually passed that $1.00 cost on to you the consumer?!? Those capitalistic pigs!;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I had the TheaterTek and it crashed consistently without much help from their tech support saying it wasn't their fault. I couldn't return it. So I bought WinDVD plat and its working just fine with a great picture. Though I do miss TheaterTeks aspect ratio control. And, I'm still trying to get that to work. WinDVD 30 day free trial vs TheaterTek, pay us first for your free trial.... you be the judge.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info all. Thanks.

The way some ppl talk about TT makes it sound like the most amazing program ever, but I think I'm getting a fuller picture here.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by malefactor
Good info all. Thanks.

The way some ppl talk about TT makes it sound like the most amazing program ever, but I think I'm getting a fuller picture here.
Results vary also depending on video card too.

The TT player appears optimized for Radeon cards, and outperforms WinDVD with HTPC and high end Radeons. [ I have

both.]

WinDVD may well outperform TT on non-Radeon cards.

As always - your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Morbius
Results vary also depending on video card too.

The TT player appears optimized for Radeon cards, and outperforms WinDVD with HTPC and high end Radeons. [ I have

both.]

WinDVD may well outperform TT on non-Radeon cards.

As always - your mileage may vary.
Vern: What video card do you have?

Thanks!

______

Axel

·
Registered
49 Posts
While Theatertek's licensing scheme is a bit of a pain if you have to reinstall or anything, it's a very nice product. I've been using it for the last year with a Radeon 8500 for most of the time and now with a GeForce Ti 4400. I can't tell the difference between the two video cards and I really haven't had any issues since I upgraded to 1.5 (The only issue I had was one DVD that just wouldn't play, but $10 and upgrade to 1.5 and everything worked).

Just to explain the licensing irritation:

You have 7 days to license it after you install it. This normally wouldn't be a problem because you get full use for the 7 days, but when you have an upgraded version like mine it's irritating. I have to install 1.2, wait for them to get me the license (usually within 24 hours), then *after* I get 1.2 licensed, I can install the 1.5 upgrade. Irritating, but I don't really do this very often at all, so I can live with it and as far as playing DVDs, it's great.

Tim

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have both TT and WinDVD and I have been in HTPC for about 2 years now. I prefer TT over WinDVD because of it's user interface and arguably better picture and don't forget sound quality. PQ and SQ are subjective so we will try not to get into that discussion. TT does suffer from installation problems but once you get it right, it is rock solid. There have been occassional "video decoder not found" problems and this happens if you happen to install another software DVD player. I still prefer TT over any other DVD player. I don't see myself changing anytime soon.

-Jai

·
Registered
701 Posts
Doc Tonic,

I don't quite understand the comments about lack of support or inability to return the product. The 'trial' as it's referred to gives you a fully functional application, not one that times out on video or audio after 5 mins.

We clearly state that you can get a full refund provided you haven't requested and been given a permanent activation code.

Our support is via email or on our forum where other members chime in with their help, and we've received much praise for our responsiveness and willingness to work through any installation issues. Try emailing or contacting some of the other software DVD player manufacturers and see how responsive they are.

As for the difficulty in re-installing if you purchased the product some time ago, we're addressing that now as we stated on our forum.

Regards,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Andrew-

Glad to hear you're addressing the issue--like I said it's not a show-stopper, just a bit irritating--obviously not so irritating that I'm harrassing you on your forum--otherwise maybe I would know that you're working on it... :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Being a HTPC user for almost 2 years, and recently switching to TheaterTek, I LOVE IT!! I have used all of the other guy's that come bundled with either a video card or a dvd drive, you get what you PAY FOR.

As Chiv's stated you have a full 7 day's of use 24 hours a day to evaluate the software, not 5 minutes like the other's available for "download" . I am fortunate enough to be able to buy whatever I wan't, but I became that way by being frugal (or cheap by some standards) and I REGRET I did not try TheaterTek sooner. I asked for my permanent key, and have no issues at all with the support, sales method, etc.

The family can now operate the HTPC without help or questions, and the audio/video quality is EVIDENT. Andrew has worked hard on this program and deserves our respect, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Or maybe some of the basher's would like to throw their "Hat in the Ring" and develop their own DVD Software....................

·
Registered
402 Posts
I agree.. Since I switched to TT, i now get a noticably better picture on my 8ft screen than either Windvd or PowerDvd. The best part is the aspect ratio control, no more YXY.. My HTPC for the first time is almost turnkey.. Before TT, i had to play with YXY to get the right ratio for every different DVD, TT is spot on everytime from DVD to DVD with its built in aspect ratio control...

Craig

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Axel:

I have a 9700Pro and my statement on WinDVD beating TT and Sonic is based on using WinDVD 4 or Platinum with ZP and FFDSHOW and applying the latest WinDVR patch from Intervideo.

There are other threads on this forum documenting how to do this. Also worthy of note is that since I use FFDSHOW, my comparisons of the two decoders are based on using software decode mode.

Craig:

ZP matches or exceeds TT in AR control.

Vern

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Malefactor,

In case you haven't noticed yet, we have reached the point where we are definitely in a to-MAY-to versus to-MAH-to situation now with WinDVD + ffdshow + ZP vs TT + ffdshow.

You'll probably find a more or less even split of people who like/prefer either one so I'd suggest trying them both out and deciding for yourself.

I haven't checked the prices lately but in the end you'll probably pay about the same for either solution (+/- $25).

I personally use TT + ffdshow and am quite happy with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.