Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am looking into a new home theatre and I need a audio system. I would like to spend around $700 USD! I would like to get all top of the line parts that will make any movie come to life in sound! Thank You! :)

EDIT:

I will need DIGITAL IN for a HTPC running a soon to come out Sound Blaster Audigy X-Fi Falit1ty card!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i take it you mean a HTiB system, since putting together a good HT system piece by piece for $700 is no easy task. if you don't mean a HTiB system, you will not find anything "top of the line" for that price tag, a single SVS PB12-Ultra/2 subwoofer goes for $2000 alone...

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
A decent receiver and a sub/sat package will probably perform better than a HTIB. Look into Rocket Tykes @ www.********** (comes with a receiver), Athena Micra 6 or Pt.5s (need a separate sub for this one) or Hsu Ventriloquists. They come highly recommended. Any entry level receiver will do a good job driving these.

If you want the ease of picking up a nice HTIB at a local store, then go with either an Onkyo 780 or Yamaha 360, 450 or 755(includes a DVD player).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a YHT-755 a few months ago (went into basement, along with a DLP projector!). Sound for movies is absolutely great, for music is OK.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Dude you need to go seperates, you want good sound right?

And forget 700, you can get the speakers for around 700, but then you need a Receiver.

Try HTD.COM's level 2 setups, They sound good.

Then get a nice receiver, a Pioneer VSX1015 has a nice heavy amplifier section, and room correction! Basically it will equilize each speaker to sound optimum for the theater.

Then your in the game, and can start upgrading from there :D

--------------

Also, you can shop like crazy and get a little better pricing and value here and there, its all how much time you want to put into the search.

Go to the speaker section and the receiver section of the forum as a start, to see what are good brands.

For stores, the Infinitys and Athenas are good budget brands, but dont get the tiny speakers, they suck.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Depends on how picky you are. The receiver is a good entry level start, the sub is adequate (great for a HTIB sub, not very good vs. a sub from Infinity, JBL, Acoustech, Velodyne, etc), the speakers are good for a HTIB, poor vs. separate speakers. The 770 really impressed me at first, but I soon moved on swapping out the speakers. Others are totally happy. If you want HT right now for

If you're pretty sure you won't be satisfied, then check out the bundles suggested, as well as, the best deals you can find on receivers, fronts, center, surrounds and sub. If you're patient, you might get close to that $700 number (net not gross, add shipping, wire, cables, stands)

Good luck

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Dude you need to go seperates, you want good sound right?

And forget 700, you can get the speakers for around 700, but then you need a Receiver.

Try HTD.COM's level 2 setups, They sound good.

Then get a nice receiver, a Pioneer VSX1015 has a nice heavy amplifier section, and room correction! Basically it will equilize each speaker to sound optimum for the theater.

Then your in the game, and can start upgrading from there :D

--------------

Also, you can shop like crazy and get a little better pricing and value here and there, its all how much time you want to put into the search.

Go to the speaker section and the receiver section of the forum as a start, to see what are good brands.

For stores, the Infinitys and Athenas are good budget brands, but dont get the tiny speakers, they suck.
Listen to JohnR hes a smart man (except I disagree about the tiny speaker remark the point5 is a decent package given its stature). If not youll sacrifice sound, but it looks like you want to get a nice theatre to put you in the atmosphere.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i say F-it, go with the Rocket Tykes and either a refurb Onkyo 502 or 602, and seal the deal for about $700...

·
Registered
28,976 Posts
audio advisor is having a clearance on the original Athena center channel and bookshelves. Get two pairs of those plus the center channel speaker. That leaves you $400 for a sub and receiver. A Dayton sub is ~ $100. You'll still have $300 for a receiver. Plenty of decent choices in that price range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too am looking for a ~$700 home theater system. I will be using this for various things including satellite tv, dvds, video games, and occasional CD music playing. I want a 5.1 or 6.1 setup and I DO NOT want a HTIB setup. I will buy separates (something that I learned from reading various posts on the audio boards here). I'm not an audiophile, hence the ~$700 budget, but I do want to maximixe the setup that my money will buy.

Could everyone please post pieces that they like or would recommend for this type of a system? I just want to explore decent brands. I see many components advertised in the newspaper, but its difficult to compare them other than number of ins/outs, wattage, etc. How about I make this easier with some example numbers:

Speakers: $100-$150 a pair (looked at the athena audition recommended above and they seem decent)

Center: $100

Sub: $100

Receiver: $200-300 (receiver can be 7.1 or whatever but i'm only going to buy speakers for 5.1 probably)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
thekangarooster, (frat name? :) )

If you want floorstanders/bookshelves at those prices you're pretty limited to speaker series like the Athena AS or Polk R series and you will have to shop. Audioadvisor has the special on the Athenas and Frys/Outpost puts on the Polks. You should also look into Fluance packages and perhaps Rocket/ELT B stock, www.********** (otherwise you will be over budget). Same with the HTD.com package. You can make your numbers if you piece it together over time, looking for the sales (if you go bookshelves all around you can definitely make it). The only recommended sub in your price range is the Dayton 10".

If you go "used" from ebay, craiglist or Audiogon, you might be able to find very nice pieces within your range, but you will be taking your chances.

Good luck.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Try the HT forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.