AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I are purchasing our first house and I'm trying to figure out how best to lay out my theater room.

Here is the room:

Currently I have a 100" screen, 1080p projector and my 2-person love seat that is positioned so our eyes are about 134" (11' 2") away from the screen.

Here is the current view from our eyes:

When sitting on the couch, my eyes and ears are about 44" from the ground. Currently the screen is just placed where it feels right, but I'll probably want to have it at the ideal height. My guess is my eyes should not be dead center with the screen, as that seems like I'll be looking down too much. Seems like maybe it should be slightly higher?

Also, I'm thinking of going with a screen larger than 100"

But I need help determining how big I can go, while maintaining an ideal seating position but also ensuring that I have proper 7.1 speaker placement.

For example, if I go with a 110" screen where is the ideal location for the couch?

If the couch went in the ideal location, whatwould the ideal locations and angles for the 7.1 surround system speakers?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmove /forum/post/19635298

Here is a seating distance calculator that might help.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

Great link! According to that, if I get a 110" screen, the THX recommended viewing distance is 12.3 feet. With my existing 100" screen it's 11.2 feet which is basically where it is now.

I also see that they have advice on vertical viewing angles, so that question is answered too!

Now I just need to figure out optimal 7.1 speaker placement. See if I can get optimal placement with 110" screen with the eyes being 12.3 feet away.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Since you have a projector, why don't you play with different image sizes and seating distances until you find one that feels right. The seating distance calculators are a good starting point, but you have the luxury of being able to try different setups.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman /forum/post/19635474

Since you have a projector, why don't you play with different image sizes and seating distances until you find one that feels right. The seating distance calculators are a good starting point, but you have the luxury of being able to try different setups.

You make an excellent point!

I can just project up against the wall and resize the screen and move the couch until I'm happy with the screen size.

I found this for optimal 7.1 speaker placement: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html

Looks like I'll have no problems placing the speakers correctly.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,137 Posts
You need to be aware that there are many who would disagree with the results of that calculator. I originally sat 10.8 ft from a 100 inch diagonal (16:9) screen. It was way too small for 2.35:1 movies. I should have had at least a 110.

When I upgraded I went with a 116 inch wide 2.37:1 screen. Here are some seating distance guidelines for scope screens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts