AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My basement was already finished before I got the "home theatre bug". This fall I began upgrading the space to be more 'theatre like'. I have several goals with this upgrade....


1. to not completely remove everything and start from new

2. break project into smaller projects, each of which can be completed in about a week.

3. complete each mini-project before starting the next

4. do everything myself

5. Room to be functional between each mini-project.


Well so far everything is going very nicely. My first mini-project was to build an in-wall equipment rack. I did this about a month before Christmas. This project took about 4 days total. Here is an image of how it came out....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then the next project I completed this past weekend was the addition of a front stage and new carpet. Here are some pictures of this project....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and another view of the stage.


This coming weekend I will be moving the screen and adding Linacoustic and black material to the front wall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,861 Posts
Looks good so far! I used (using) the same moldings in my theatre. I have the door done, but not the rack as it is in a constant state of chage! :D


What's that at the bottom of your rack? It look slike a guitar amp, which believe it or not, is where mine is as well. It's the only place they let me go practice so I don't rattle the rest of the house. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jay,


Yep, that is my practice amp....I didn't plan on having it there...but as luck would have it...it just fit. So, I'll leave it there untill I get more equipment to fill that space.


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other little project I did actually before the equipment rack was to move the pinball machines out of the theatre area. I moved them to an adjacent room that will become the lobby/arcade.


I plan on adding door(s) between lobby area and theatre with a ticket booth (probably start that after front screen wall acoustic treatments, which I'm planning on having done by Superbowl).


All of my pictures (old and new) can be seen at ...

http://photos.yahoo.com/Mich_Jeeper


...then you can get an idea of before and after. Let me know what you all think. Also if you have any furthur ideas for the project, I'd appreciate it.


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This past weekend work continued on theatre upgrade project. I put up acoustic material and black fabric around the screen. I am very pleased with the result....the image looks 100% better. I still have more acoustic material and fabric to put up, but here is a picture of how it looks. I also centered the screen with the new stage. I will be painting the center speaker stand black also. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...and here is a picture before the fabric went on....


I plan on having front wall completed and seats put back before big game this Sunday.


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Steve,


You certainly moving right along! How did you create the "filmstrip" appearance on your platform? Looks very nice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Darren,


(Love your CYBERDYNE CINEMA by the way.)


That film strip was actually hand drawn with a felt tip black 'Sharpie' marker (actually, took three of them). I used the same gray carpet that is on top of the stage and a little patients.


I plan on adding some circles on top of the stage so it looks like a film reel on its side. Plan on using fabric dye for this...but not sure yet. Anyone do anything like this or have any other suggestions besides fabric dye?


Thanks,

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,861 Posts
I was weondering the same thing about the filmstrip...interesting idea. May have to try something similar!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finished the front wall treatments and got the chairs in position on the 29th. Re-adjusted the sound levels of the speakers and installed the bass shakers yesterday. Painted the center speaker stand black and cleaned up. Here are some pictures of the room...ready for the SuperBowl later today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and here is a view from the front to the back....


Let me know what you think and if you have any questions. right now, it is time to get the house cleaned up, make the food, and chill the beverages...guests will be here soon.


I'm going to take a break for about a week, then the next phase of the project is building the new lobby-to-theatre entrance with ticket booth.


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Jeeper,


You may wanna try some spray paint with some home made circle stencils. I used gray carpet for my circles. I used a round glass table top for a stencil and cut around the table top with a razor knife through the black carpeted platform. I then pulled the cut out circles of black carpet and replaced the round hole with the gray carpeting cut with the same table top. You can see my results at my site. Good luck... keep us posted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Jeeper,

Looks good. That pj mount looks like the one I made a couple of years ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bpdp379,


I have a 1981 CJ-7, full fiberglass body, 6 pt. roll cage, 5 pt. racing harnesses, built 355 c.i.d. Chevy V-8, 35" Mud Kings, Detroit lockers front and rear with 4.56:1 gears. Stands about 7.5' tall....my off-roading toy when I'm not working on the theatre.


Steve
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top