AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the firmware (and some features) of the 5200 are somewhat flaky. However, I have also heard that it can connect to your PC through USB 2.0 and function as a mass storage device.

If all I want is a RAID 5 protected storage vault that I can connect via USB, will the Thecus 5200 fit the bill? Does it work well, and does it have decent throughput?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes it can serve as USB storage. However, you have to allocate space for the USB host function and that space is only available through the USB port, but is protected by what ever RAID level you choose. When you set up your array, you allocate percentages for DATA and USB. DATA would be what is available through the network interface for setting up shares and permissions. I belive it defaults to 95% data and 5% USB. I can not see a problem with putting 100% towards USB...

As for performance, it is quick and multi-tasks well on my network. I have not tested with the USB function, in fact, I set my USB space to 0%. In general I would think that it is better suited as a network device.

I had a few problems when I first set it up and their tech support is non-existent. However, once I worked through the issue it has been running strong ever since.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Does anyone know if you can set the USB storage to 100% or if there is a minimum required amount of network space?

Honestly, I started looking at the 5200 as a network device, but if it functions as USB with RAID 5 for backup then that will save me hassle and hardware. I am just looking for a place to store media that I can access with my media server. RAID 5 provides a little protection - which is nice - because while I have all the discs and COULD rip them again, I have no desire to do so more than once

Thanks again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A couple more questions to any Thecus 5200 users out there - I didn't know if I should start another thread or simply continue this one.

Do you have to use the web interface to set up the RAID or can you set it VIA controls on the front panel? All of the reviews seem to imply that you have to use the web interface?

Have any of you tried using the 5200 with an ethernet crossover cable? If so does it work.

If that works, have any of you tried using USB to Ethernet with the 5200? I know that the adapters I have seen all require driver installations? Would that installation only have to take place on the system using the USB adapter - or would it have to be from both ends? Since I can't really install drivers on the Thecus unit this would have to be the case for the USB adapter to be of any use.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.