AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to put the warning out here.

I ordered audio/video cables from a new company I had not used before called: WWW.CABLESNMOR.COM .

The product and delivery were fine.

I was just notified yesterday that my credit card info sent to that website has been stolen. They are supposed to be protected by Network Solutions but I guess almost 500,000 cc info were stolen. What completely outrages me besides this...is the fact that all these merchants told the company that notified me NOT to give out their names (unless our State law required it) cause if the customers knew what company had a problem they would not shop there anymore....they are right on this one. I had to track down the date and company on the cc statement to see who it was as I never had a problem before. But I usually use very well-known..longtime in business companies...just for some simple a/v cables...I got this happening. They have the FBI and Secret Service investigating and say so far no info has been used.

Originally Network Solutions was drafting a letter saying which company so the customer could know WHICH card was compromised. All they told me was VISA...well I have more than one VISA card but the date they gave and my cc statement showed me the company who wanted to keep their name a secret. I don't go for this.

Anyway, Google Network Solutions if you want to read about this potential disaster. And order at least from this company at your own risk. Too bad small Mom and Pops are having this problem..hard to survive when your customers not only can't trust you but really can't trust you to let them know which card they should cancel or whatever. In South Carolina the Consumer Affairs, according to a Google check, told victims they would get a letter saying the company name and all details of the questionable transaction so we know what card is in danger. But only in Carolina I guess. Else..everything is..shh...a secret.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hmm, seems that Network Solutions is really nothing more than a website hosting company/provider. Security solutions such as transaction encryption security are optional, it's up to the customer to choose to have them and which ones.

When I shop on-line I look for the following: toll free numbers in good working order, live people to talk to at said numbers, very high bit transaction encryption from well known providers and lastly recommendations and reviews from third parties. All this before I shop!

The only exception is Ebay where finding those things can be challeging in one way or another. That's why I stay away from Ebay 99% of the time. I just went once to get my DVD recorder from Canada because it was the only game in town and believe me it took lots of convincing from members here who know what they are doing and then I was still sweating bullets until a few days after I received the product. I'm happy to report that all is well and I am very happy with my new recorder.

That said, I am in no rush to do it again.

Look on big sites like Amazon and such and see what security symbols there are and then look for the same or similar on any other site you wish to use and you should be fine. However, if someone or some group is determined enough they can get your info no matter what.

Next time if shopping for cables and such you might try Monoprice.com, they have a good rep and are used widely by many. I've used them several times and have not had a problem except with availability at times.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks for the warning.

It's situations like this that make me wary about ordering things online. I will only buy online from places that I know well...and have dealt with before. Though even then you're not always protected... one of the chain stores, Barnes and Noble, had problems with hackers several months ago. And then there's the hackers that stole personal info from stores like TJ Maxx and most recently, yesterday, there was more in the news about the very same thing. It's a shame.

DGK

·
Registered
13,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by microladyusa /forum/post/17021809

Just want to put the warning out here.

I ordered audio/video cables from a new company I had not used before called: WWW.CABLESNMOR.COM .

The product and delivery were fine.

I was just notified yesterday that my credit card info sent to that website has been stolen. They are supposed to be protected by Network Solutions but I guess almost 500,000 cc info were stolen.

Ah, microladyusa and everyone else -- NEVER, EVER USE YOUR REAL CREDIT CARD NUMBER TO ORDER ON-LINE.

Many issuers of credit cards, like Visa and MasterCard have a service for account holders on their websites that generates a limited use alias number for your credit account that prevents it from being used for fraud. Log into your credit card accounts and look for it or call them and ask. If none of your card issuers provide this service it is very worthwhile to get a new card from one who does -- just for on-line ordering. Cancel another one if you wish.

For example, in my case, I have a Visa card from MBNA which was bought out by BOA. When I log into my account I have an application available to me called "ShopSafe". This application lets me generate alias Visa numbers linked to my credit account. When I generate an alias, I specify the max dollar amount that the number is good for and the expiration date of the number (1-12 months). Any alias number is only good for a single retailer, the first one that makes the charge. And best of all, I can cancel any active number instantly with the push of a button -- that has saved my butt a couple times in being able to kill a card # before an E-tailer has had a chance to charge it and thus cancel a misguided purchase without hassle on my terms. So if hackers break into a site I do business with and steal my alias number it will do them no good -- they'll probably only find it good for a dollar or two but only if they use it at the place they hacked.

ShopSafe is very versatile in that money can be added to the alias and the expiration date extended. Thus you can use the alias account for legitimate recurring charges. I use alias accounts for my newspaper, EZ-Pass and Netflix, to name a few recurring accounts. Every January I add money and extend the expiration date another year. I only post this last paragraph to exemplify the range of features available you should look for.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Although Kelson is right, it may be more important just to know what stores your shopping with by doing some research and reading reviews. I have used Shop Safe many times in the past (I hardly purchase much of anything online anymore) and was generally happy. However, I have heard of similar services (on cards other than MBNA accounts) that have successfully charged more than once and more than the preset limit. I have also personally had a successful recurring charge (music site) even though the credit card I originally signed up with had expired over a year before. The number was the same on the new card but the expiration date and CVV were different, yet the merchant was able to charge it; this was an MBNA card. I also had one issuing bank of a MC I had paid off and cancelled start up my account again (and send me a thank you letter!) becuase someone had apparently tried to charge something on it. I asked why they would do that when I had clearly cancelled it and they said it was a courtesy (in case I really intended to use it). So, again, be sure to know where you buy from and check your credit card statement every month. If you can, also do research on your issuing bank, some are just lousy. If you're ever a victim of fraud, you'll get your money back but it just takes more of your personal time than you'll care to give. I do hear that AmEx is the best to deal with.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
When something like that happened to one of mine the bank actually called me to let me know they suspected fraud becuase it was a LOT more then I usually spend and some of the charges were from Germany

I went in and we went over the charges and they cleared all of them that I was positive about and changed my card number. I had a good idea where the incident had happened and gave them all the info I had. I haven't had any issues since and I usually also try to stick with known companies or ones that good folks vouch for.

If you have a good credit card issuer they'll also be looking out for you as well, mine was my local credit union and I really like they way they do business and treat us customers. they also haven't raised my interest rate like my other card did that I have since canceled, and they say they don't ever intend to becuase profit is not their only business goal being member owned.

·
Registered
13,347 Posts
I can't stress the use of alias account numbers too much. When it comes to credit fraud an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure. Far too many E-tailers maintain your credit card information on their servers as a "courtesy" so you don't have to re-enter the information the next time you order. Problem is, you rarely if ever have the ability to decline the courtesy and have your credit information expunged. Their security is usually poor and information is never really "deleted", so when these sites get targeted and hacked, you have a huge potential for credit fraud. I use a different alias number each time I've ordered from Amazon.com -- they keep them all, on-line in their data base, even the expired ones. Even if I figure a way to delete them, they'll still be there somewhere in their system ready to be plucked by a hacker. Fortunately it will cause me no problems -- that ounce of prevention at work.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman /forum/post/17024718

If you have a good credit card issuer they'll also be looking out for you as well, mine was my local credit union and I really like they way they do business and treat us customers. they also haven't raised my interest rate like my other card did that I have since canceled, and they say they don't ever intend to becuase profit is not their only business goal being member owned.

Our credit union in Milwaukie is a geat place to "bank" even though we live closer to Vancouver. We have direct deposit and use automatic transfers for utilities and online bill paying that we initiate. When we need cash we get "cash back" at nearby grocery stores.

We also maintain an account at a nearby bank, mainly for check casing convenience. Recently that bank announced that they were going to implement service charges on our account. My wife went in to close that account but they waived service charges in order to keep our business.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the information. I do usually order from companies like Amazon, JR.com, Office Depot, etc. on line and have no problem. In this case, even though it apparently happened at the end of May, I see by my statements that all charges have been mine. Luckily too, I remember using a card that has a very low limit rather than my other Visa that is just the opposite.

Thanks Anubisrocks for the cable site. A lot of times I have used Altex Electronics over 10 years but sometimes they don't have what I am looking for and that's what happened here.

Thanks, Kelson for the suggestion on Shop Safe. Ironic that a few years ago I asked my CC companies if I could have a temporary number to shop with and was told I did not qualify for such a service. I never tried again. I believe that was Citibank that told me that one. I think one company I have allows it, maybe that is BOA. I have been ordering since the 1980's and have companies that I have used since that time and yes I read reviews about companies, etc. I also years ago joined Reseller Ratings and check them out also. I agree about Ebay...I never have the nerve to try them. Don't want to use PayPal either from things I have heard.

Apparently someone planted "malware" on the Solutions' servers and that diverted info outside the servers. When I checked the date they told me my order could have been compromised and went to the website, I saw at the bottom that it was protected by Network Solutions...so I was sure that is the company. My other orders around that time were Amazon and I don't see their website saying who protects them but I believe they are okay and I like that when you order from their Marketplace, your info is NOT given to the merchants there...every little bit helps.

DGK, Dartman...glad you checked this out. I thought it was important since it involved A/V ordering in particular and this forum has members that do a lot of that (including me).

I will look into ShopSafe and see who offers it. Thanks, Kelson for talking about recurring charges...how to handle. I also have Netflex, etc. and would wonder about that.

i86time: Very interesting what you were put through. I can add to that, that years ago I had a Wells Fargo Visa and Wells Fargo Mastercard. I ordered a CD drive from a new company and they sent me a false product..they sent a CD drive but not the one they advertised and I ordered. I did report them to the police in their town and also to Reseller Ratings. Anyway, I called Wells Fargo and said I wanted to put a flag on the one account that in the future, no charges from this company would be allowed. They said they could not do that. I said you mean I would have to close the card account. They said....well, if you closed your Mastercard and still have your Visa, and someone tried to charge to the Mastercard, we would put those charges on your Visa card. As long you have an open card with us, any charges made on old or expired cards would automatically be put on your open card. How about that one?

Thanks for the replies, guys. I am glad I am getting this information out there to help "customers"...the people who should be the ones protected...not the names of companies who have problems.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Another option is the disposable "credit cards" sold at drugstore chains and the like: Amex, Visa and Mastercards that you buy with a specific amount of money on them ($50, $100, $200, etc.). They are not connected to your credit rating, bank or identity in any way. The most you can possibly lose if the card number gets stolen is the dollar balance on that particular card. While they're not the most convenient thing for large purchases, they're great for smaller items on Amazon etc.

We now live in a very vulnerable world when it comes to personal information and financial instruments. Twenty years ago a lot of this stuff was still handled by relatively secure mainframes or AS/400 systems, today its at the mercy of Windows or (if you're lucky) Unix. Don't make the common mistake of assuming an order made via telephone is any more secure than one you place online: the person at the other end of the phone is just going to enter all your data into the same order system. If it gets hacked, you're as exposed as the next customer.

·
Registered
13,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear /forum/post/17029534

Another option is the disposable "credit cards" sold at drugstore chains and the like: Amex, Visa and Mastercards that you buy with a specific amount of money on them ($50, $100, $200, etc.). They are not connected to your credit rating, bank or identity in any way. The most you can possibly lose if the card number gets stolen is the dollar balance on that particular card. While they're not the most convenient thing for large purchases, they're great for smaller items on Amazon etc.

I wonder about that. What you have described is a gift-card. Most Etailers want a valid billing address for your credit card and will only ship to the billing address. Their attempt to avoid stolen cc fraud. So how would that work if you try to order and pay with a gift card.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I've seen the issue addressed on the packaging of the cards and I've seen the matter discussed on several websites like Amazon. The more popular sites understand consumers want to use "anonymous" payment methods and are trying to accommodate them. I don't have time right this minute to research the specifics, but there are ways to satisfy many website credit card policies when using an Amex, Visa or MasterCard "gift card". As I noted, they aren't appropriate for every purchase or every site, but they are an option for some.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/17030090

I wonder about that. What you have described is a gift-card. Most Etailers want a valid billing address for your credit card and will only ship to the billing address. Their attempt to avoid stolen cc fraud. So how would that work if you try to order and pay with a gift card.

They are debit cards actually. I liken them to plastic money orders. The difference between them and the gift card is that either when purchasing at the drugstore-Walmart sells them too at their Money Centers, or activating them online or over the phone, you must provide your name, social security number, and your address. Once activated, you can use them at any site that accepts the CC they're backed by, VISA, Mastercard, Western Union. Purchases made are insured by them, just as a normal credit card.

Some cards are reloadable, allowing you to add additional money to card, and use it over and over again. The catch is that there's usually a $4.98 monthly service charge deducted from the amount on the card if you don't spend the amount you initially put on it within 4 weeks.

I got one last year to use on ebay (linked it through Paypal), unnerved over the horror stories I'd read before ever trying the auction route. And when my bids kept losing, I wound up having 10 bucks chomped out of what I put on the card over 2 months...
I quickly went to my regular credit card, also thru Paypal after that.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
If thats the case, then I completely withdraw my suggestion they might be an option: providing your social security number and address defeats the whole point of using the damn things as a security buffer, you may as well use your normal credit card instead. Last time I looked at the packaging a few months ago, it did not say anything about wanting your SS# to activate the card: that sounds more dangerous than anything else you could do.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I agree completely. the requirement of the SS# is the deal-breaker for me. Why do they need it anyway for such a card? It seems unnecessary.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Something about preventing criminal/terrorist activity through use of them. You wouldn't want an untraceable way of purchasing things, if the ones doing the purchasing are up to no good, ie, laundering money, etc.
Quote:
Important Information About Procedures for Activating a Walmart MoneyCard: To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money-laundering activities, federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. What this means for you: When you activate your Temporary Card, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents.
https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/Acc...siteid=walmart

I can only assume other prepaid cards require the same. I only dealt with one offered at Walmart.

·
Registered
11,644 Posts
Not saying that one should do such a thing, but I wonder if you gave a bogus SSN how they would know

I also agree I would not give my real SSN for a temp. card.

Kelson's idea sounds like the best option, if your card company allows such a thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts